PDA

View Full Version : question for Platinum 3776 users

comixfan
July 7th, 2016, 06:12 PM
So I ordered a steel-nibbed Platinum 3776 Balance by mistake (thought I was ordering a 3776 Century-- D'oh!). Since I'm in the U.S. and I ordered from Japan, it'd be more trouble than it's worth to return/exchange it, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep the pen or sell it as new/unused.

Are Platinum's steel nibs any good? I enjoy steel-nibbed Pilots and Pelikans, but generally stick to gold nibs. Any input from Platinum users would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

migo984
July 7th, 2016, 07:02 PM
I have two Platinum Cools, the clear/demonstrator version of the Balance. They have one of my favourite steel nibs. Quite springy and a pleasure to use. I have both F and M. Both worked well out of the box.

gbryal
July 7th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Test it by dipping in water, see if it writes to your satisfaction.
I think even cheap platinum nibs are pretty nice.

timbre70
July 7th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Better than Pilot.

myu
July 8th, 2016, 12:22 PM
^ I disagree.

comixfan
July 9th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I can't believe I'd never thought about "dry writing" a nib using water, but then again, I've never been in this particular position of not wanting to sully a brand new pen. I'll have to remember that. :)

Do the Platinum Cools use the same steel nib as the 3776 Balance? If so, I'll probably just re-sell my mistakenly-ordered Balance and try out a Cool for half the price. ;)

gbryal
July 9th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I don't know if water writing would keep the pen from being returned, just thought it might be an option. You can't really tell without some liquid.

sharmon202
July 10th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I like my Cool as much as my 3776's and can use it for work.