PDA

View Full Version : Churchman's Prescriptor skipping

Redsoxmd
January 25th, 2013, 10:32 AM
I have a CI Broad nib, and it's my first. I've only ever used round nibs, so maybe it's just me. Any ideas to prevent skipping?

Thanks!

KrazyIvan
January 25th, 2013, 12:32 PM
CI's are sensitive to writing angle. If it is not a nib tune issue, you may need to adjust the way you hold the pen when you write.

Redsoxmd
January 25th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I think it may be a nib tune issue. I hear a clicking sound when I write with it every so often. Can anyone recommend a nibmeister? I don't feel comfortable doing any tuning myself at this point. Thanks!

Redsoxmd
January 26th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I did adjust the angle of my pen, and it helped some, but it's still not to my liking. I'm sending it to Dannzeman on Monday.

I would try it myself, but this pen (and nib) is from England. I don't think getting a replacement would be cost effective if I mess it up haha.

Mags
February 5th, 2013, 04:06 AM
I washed mine before use with a tiny bit of soap and water and then I find that the ink I put in to it has an effect on how well it writes. I also went with the broad nib, the feed is a touch slow IMHO. The Noodler's ink I like in it is eel cactus greune. The ink seems to lubricate a little and works well but the ink is a bit slow to dry. Slow drying as a leftie knows also does a number all down your left palm as you smudge through your own handwritten work.

Let me know by PM how the nib tune does on your pen and what these need to make them work better pretty please.

As to the nibs they do take a precise position to be smooth but once you figure it out it is smooth. The pen performs well with higher priced pens so anyone out there wanting to try these pens should though the Parson's Essential is considerably more popular and 30% or so less expensive. I think as I recall it likes a 45 degree angle against the paper versus more of a straight up and down pen position relative to the page which a rounded nib allows us all to do without thinking (change the positions so easily to adapt to our style of holding the pen). I roll the pens a bit so have been trying the Oblique medium and broads out. My MB149 is smooth. My Pelikan M200 steel nib OBB is like butter but it was Binderized or checked as they say before they ship them off. At any rate the Pelikan and Churchmans are in the same price range in general and if you like big executive pens you will want the Churchmens and if you want a smaller pen that is a piston filler and I think dollar for dollar one of my best value pens..... and I expect will be for most others also....go Pelikan. For the price of my MB 149 I could have purchased a M800 and and M200 from Pelikan....but I have elected to upsize my pen case and fill it with MB, Pelikan, Aurora, Visconti, Parker, well you know what I am talking about.

Mags

Redsoxmd
March 1st, 2013, 04:04 PM
I sent it to Dannzeman, and the nib tune worked like a charm. It works great with Diamine Syrah. I have the CI broad nib.

Mags
March 11th, 2013, 04:02 AM
You can also try a thinner ink....viscosity may be an ink issue.