PDA

View Full Version : How many unopened bottles of ink do you have?

jar
July 9th, 2016, 09:55 AM
So I was cleaning up some stuff and realized I have quite a few unopened bottles of ink; most I don't even know what color the ink is. They are mostly bottles that came when I bought some pen and simply never opened and eventually forgot about. There is a bottle from Omas, another that came with my Delta Dolcevita OS, a couple that came with Conway Stewart pens and maybe others that just have not come back from WalkAbout yet.

How about you good folk?

Laura N
July 9th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I checked: 12. That is a lot.

I do have two small bottles of Aurora Black that came with a pen. And some spare bottles of standard inks I go through regularly, like Parker, Pelikan and Waterman -- four of those. The rest are extra bottles of the MB limited edition inks I liked. Every once in a while the clutter gets to me, and I put the MBs up for sale, but I still have some left.

If you buy online, which I have to with Montblanc LE inks, you can easily talk yourself into buying two at a time. Clearly, I should rethink that. Except, after the Shakespeare ink. :)

Dreck
July 9th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Eight unopened 50ml bottles of Chesterfield Archival Vault (they were on sale) and a 100 ml bottle of Chesterfield Siam. Nine total. I'm about to make it an even ten and order a 110 ml bottle of ESSRI (to accompany the one that still has 100ml in it :/ ) since 10.50£ is now $13.60

inklord
July 9th, 2016, 10:35 AM
...seems that the number is three at this point, and all are doubles like Laura described. I'm definitely happy to have an extra bottle of MB 'Permanent Grey' since it seems largely unavailable, and to have grabbed two bottles of Lamy's 'Dark Lilac' which everybody in our fp-wielding houshold seems to like... The third is R&K Sepia, the one ink I never want to run out of.

Laura N
July 9th, 2016, 10:46 AM
...seems that the number is three at this point, and all are doubles like Laura described. I'm definitely happy to have an extra bottle of MB 'Permanent Grey' since it seems largely unavailable, and to have grabbed two bottles of Lamy's 'Dark Lilac' which everybody in our fp-wielding houshold seems to like... The third is R&K Sepia, the one ink I never want to run out of.

Hey, one of my unopened bottles is MB Permanent Grey! Which I don't even know why I have, because I don't use permanent inks. So don't pay eBay prices if that one ever climbs: I'm just down in Chicago, and I would be happy to give you mine or trade it for something you have but don't like. We can even do it in person at the pen show.

inklord
July 9th, 2016, 01:39 PM

Hey, one of my unopened bottles is MB Permanent Grey! Which I don't even know why I have, because I don't use permanent inks. So don't pay eBay prices if that one ever climbs: I'm just down in Chicago, and I would be happy to give you mine or trade it for something you have but don't like. We can even do it in person at the pen show.
Sweet! I like it a lot for writing invoices and checks, and my wife uses it quite a bit for her pen-and-ink drawings - we might pick you up on your offer... How about meeting in Door County? Lots of Chicago folks coming up here, beautiful spot and Anderson Pens on the way from there to here!

Anne
July 9th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Six of them, I am ashamed to say, because I was so excited to add them to my palette. I hope to have that number down to Zero soon though ... aside from having an extra bottle of a few I really like on hand.

Chrissy
July 9th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Hmmm I will do an official count....

top pen
July 9th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Non yet curiosity normally gets the better of me. But I have probably 6-12 tins of Herbins ink cartridges I have yet to try. Chrissy is the Shakespeare ink avaliable in the UK yet?

Chrissy
July 9th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Chrissy is the Shakespeare ink avaliable in the UK yet?

Oh yes it is. So is the replacement yellow. :bump2:

Laura N
July 9th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Chrissy is the Shakespeare ink avaliable in the UK yet?

Oh yes it is. So is the replacement yellow. :bump2:

Darn you Brits. Grrrr. :)

Laura N
July 9th, 2016, 04:22 PM

Sweet! I like it a lot for writing invoices and checks, and my wife uses it quite a bit for her pen-and-ink drawings - we might pick you up on your offer... How about meeting in Door County? Lots of Chicago folks coming up here, beautiful spot and Anderson Pens on the way from there to here!

I wish!

inklord
July 9th, 2016, 04:24 PM
OK, I have only three bottles unopened and no inks that I've never tried in my stash, but then, on the other hand, I have waaaaaay too many pens inked...

penwash
July 9th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Zero.
I don't have or buy a lot, so when an ink bottle arrived in the mailbox, it won't stay boxed through the evening. It'll be opened either by me or my daughter (whoever gets home first).

earthdawn
July 9th, 2016, 06:02 PM
I am not even going to think about answering this....

looking and counting will only confirm I may or may not need counseling :crazy_pilot:

gbryal
July 9th, 2016, 07:32 PM
1 spare bottle of Waterman Mysterious Blue as I know I will use up the other one.

inklord
July 10th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Zero.
I don't have or buy a lot, so when an ink bottle arrived in the mailbox, it won't stay boxed through the evening. It'll be opened either by me or my daughter (whoever gets home first).
Sounds familiar!

Paddler
July 10th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Let us count:
There are 5 tiny bottles of ink that came with a glass pen. They are sealed with cork and sealing wax.
There are 2 two-ounce bottles of vintage Skrip Peacock Blue (neener neener!).
And 7 two-ounce bottles of blue black Quink. Every day writing ink.
So that is 14 unopened bottles.

Sailor Kenshin
July 10th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Uhmmmm....three? No, wait, maybe only one. Yes, I've used Quink Black, and I think I did use the Raven Black once. So that leaves the Chelpark Blue, which I got as a curiosity.

inklord
July 11th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Uhmmmm....three? No, wait, maybe only one. Yes, I've used Quink Black, and I think I did use the Raven Black once. So that leaves the Chelpark Blue, which I got as a curiosity.

That reminds me that years and years ago in a time before 'edelstein' and when my wife and I still beleived that either Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue or MB Royal Blue were the only legitimate inks, we got somehow a bottle of Chelpark Blue, and boy was it wet and smooth and luby... I believe that's what might have planted the seed for the current inkmania in us... Either that or that tiny faceted bottle of ...?... (name eludes me right now) we bought in a granny store in the Kickapoo Valley... Both bottles long empty and, alas, discarded.

TSherbs
July 11th, 2016, 06:46 AM
One: back-up Noodler's Blue

catbert
July 11th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Five: all duplicates, all rationalized on the basis that they lowered the unit shipping cost.

Avalona
July 13th, 2016, 02:45 PM
One: a duplicate of J. Herbin's Poussiere de Lune. I got it as a gift and the giver had no idea I already had a bottle of it.

Frank
July 13th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Not a fair question for me to answer!.........

;)

gregamckinney
July 13th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I'm packing to move, and discovered some I didn't know/ forgot I have:
3 Diamine Orange
1 Omas Roma 2000 Blue
1 CS Orange (old style (1990's))
6 Skrip Peacock Blue (various vintages)

greg

Chrissy
July 13th, 2016, 09:24 PM
I'm packing to move, and discovered some I didn't know/ forgot I have:
3 Diamine Orange
1 Omas Roma 2000 Blue :jaw:

greg

I've still not counted. So the number is higher than fingers plus toes :)

caribbean_skye
July 14th, 2016, 05:40 AM
11, that does not include duplicates. If you add in inks that i have paid for and will pick up at a pen show then the number increases to 17.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laura N
July 14th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Of my 12, all are duplicates. And by next week I will add another three, and they are duplicates. So I'm going the wrong way. :)

carlos.q
July 14th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Just checked... a total of 10 unopened ink bottles:

Diamine Damson
Diamine Graphite
Diamine Prussian Blue
Omas Blue
Omas Violet
Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black
Pelikan 4001 Black
R&K Salix
R&K Scabiosa
Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black (vintage)

:jaw:

sgtstretch
July 14th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Only 1, a duplicate, Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst. Everything else I've at least used once.

bjmoose
July 14th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Only one - Iroshizuku Yama-Budo - just got it and haven't had a chance to ink up...

Dreck
July 14th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Of my 12, all are duplicates. And by next week I will add another three, and they are duplicates. So I'm going the wrong way. :)

Not when you find an ink you really like! :)

Freddie
July 14th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Three USPS Priority boxes 11 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 6" .
This is where I stash unopened bottles of ink.
There may be more..havta do an inventory.

Fred

Jerome Tarshis
July 15th, 2016, 01:51 AM
None right now. At one time in the past I bought two bottles of Montblanc Racing Green, on the ground that I might love it and it was going to be hard to get in the future. I opened one of them, and thus had one unopened bottle of ink.

Apart from that episode, I just allow myself to empty a bottle and do not feel compulsive about having another bottle of the ink I've run out of. Narrow-minded as I am in so many ways, I am happy to write with what's there in the drawer today.

TSherbs
July 15th, 2016, 06:42 AM
....I just allow myself to empty a bottle and do not feel compulsive about having another bottle of the ink I've run out of. Narrow-minded as I am in so many ways, I am happy to write with what's there in the drawer today.

Apostasy!! ... :wink:

DaveT
July 15th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Currently in my personal collection there are none. I am usually impatient when I get something new and have to try it.

gregamckinney
July 17th, 2016, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=gregamckinney;176901]I'm packing to move, and discovered some I didn't know/ forgot I have:
3 Diamine Orange
1 Omas Roma 2000 Blue :jaw:

greg

The tragic part is that it was 2 botles of Roma Blue, but one had gone bad and was a watery pale blue.
A warning, I guess, not to hoard ink for too long.
greg

Chrissy
July 17th, 2016, 11:57 PM
The tragic part is that it was 2 botles of Roma Blue, but one had gone bad and was a watery pale blue.
A warning, I guess, not to hoard ink for too long.
greg
That's a real shame. :cry:

jacksterp
July 23rd, 2016, 02:20 PM
Two - a backup Tsuki-Yo and a bottle of Sailor Apricot.

I really need to try the Sailor...

bulbboy
July 24th, 2016, 08:17 PM
UNOPENED?? I have to try them when they first arrive!

Laura N
July 24th, 2016, 09:34 PM
Two - a backup Tsuki-Yo and a bottle of Sailor Apricot.

I really need to try the Sailor...

Check out the sale price for Sailor Apricot before you do. :)

pepsiplease69
July 31st, 2016, 09:20 PM
So if we don't count the number of of bottles I'm hoarding since Sailor discontinued Epinard and Sky High then my conscience is clear.

I don't have any bottles that I bought but never opened.

I have several of the Iroshizuku regular bottles which I fully intend to open and start using as soon as the mini Iroshizuku bottles run out. I use those inks in my regular rotation so I don't think it will be very long before I will open them.

The Epinard and Sky High, I'm ashamed to admit how many bottles I have of those. And oh by the way, I have a similarly obscene stockpile of Caran dAche Amazon, Saffron, and Grand Canyon.

Scrawler
August 2nd, 2016, 01:23 PM
My niece came over from Europe with a bottle of hard to get Gamma Violet for me. I already had a bottle of it open, so I have precisely one unopened bottle of ink.

Scooby921
August 4th, 2016, 06:39 PM
I have three unopened bottles in my cabinet. Only one of them is really something which wasn't planned. I ordered a bottle of Montblanc's Seasons Greetings Brown and received two. One hasn't been opened. The other two are MB Permanent Blue and 90 Years Permanent Grey. I bought the bottle of blue because I was running out, so it'll get it's turn sooner than later. I bought the grey because I liked the color and didn't want to unexpectedly run out of a limited edition ink. So that one's time will come too.

Woody
August 6th, 2016, 08:17 PM
2. Noodlers black, and noodlers navy. Opened doesn't count right? Right? ....😯