PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Classic Red

Chrissy
July 12th, 2016, 10:00 AM
My latest ink is Diamine Classic Red

Diamine Classic Red is a good, bright red ink. Not quite as bright or as eye-catching as Wild Strawberry, but still a nice, bright red. Classic Red leans more towards the pink end of the spectrum than Wild Strawberry does. In fact, even though I thought I had many reds, I couldn't find any in my collection, that I would say are almost identical to it. It's a well behaved ink in all of the pens and on all of the paper I tried it with. It's not overly saturated but I saw plenty of attractive shading.

It wrote straight away without any hard starts or skipping. The flow is very good and so is it's lubrication at the nib. Although the flow feels slightly dryer than Wild Strawberry, it didn't feel particularly dry. The dry time was fairly quick and there were no smears after it was dry.

It has virtually no water resistance at all. The red inky water spread quickly.

I think it's a very nice bright red ink, especially if you prefer pink leaning bright reds. Kaweco Ruby Red was the most similar colour, but that leans more purple than Classic Red.

This isn't sold as a waterproof ink,and shows no noticeable water resistance.

Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used a Lamy M nib, a Lamy 1.1mm nib and a Waterman F nib this ink only took 15 secs to dry. No smear when dry.

It exhibited good flow and lubrication and I found it well behaved to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.

It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles

Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

It's a reasonable price.

Runnin_Ute
January 1st, 2017, 03:23 PM
Your review coincides very well with my experience with Classic Red. For a long time it was my only red. And the pink sometimes peeks out, but not always. I have never been much of a orange-red guy. The reds recently are more to the darker end of the spectrum. (Blackstone Uluru Red, Levenger Pomegranate, Blackstone Red Cashmere) Just ordered samples of Diamine Merlot and Monteverde Napa Burgundy.