PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds and Details to Include?

top pen
July 15th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I'm going to be listing 2 pens in the next 48 hours and will be grateful for some recommendations. I often find on listings on here and FPN the amount of details posted on each pen varies widely. From a single photo for a dozen pens to half a dozen photos for a single pen. Like wise with descriptions. I realize that detail is useful however some members seem to sell there pens with listings with very little detail.

I'm wondering where to position myself on this spectrum.

Also what photo are preferred? Nib, whole pen, anything else.

Thanks

Hawk
July 15th, 2016, 08:46 PM
I have bought from one seller with minimal photos and minimal description, and never had a bad deal. I have a trust with him because of a number of purchases. Another seller has more photos and a more detailed description. I also trust him and have purchased a number of pens from him. Trust is the common element. Of course, more photos and a detailed description are always better, in my opinion.

Chrissy
July 16th, 2016, 05:15 AM
I think it depends how much you want to sell something: The better the job you do as a seller, the more likely you are to find a buyer. :)

penwash
July 16th, 2016, 07:22 AM
You have two good advice above.

If this is your first time selling a pen here, put up as many photos as you are willing to take.
That's the principle, in practice, 1 shot of the pen capped, another uncapped, and a close up of the nib should be sufficient.

And the the details on the pen. Condition, Restoration history, and Nib (type and grind if any).

Usually the more detail (especially in story format) you give out, the more at ease the buyer would be. Unless you're selling a modern commodity pen like a popular Pilot or Sailor or Pelikan, then focus on any flaws cosmetically and functionally.

PS: If you are becoming a regular seller, you should come up with your own "trademarked" way to sell. A signature of some sort.

carlos.q
July 16th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Besides the excellent advice given above I would add the following:

1. Please include a writing sample AND have something to measure/compare it, like grid paper or another writing sample with another pen.

2. Include a picture in which you compare the size of the pen to other pens, or at least take a picture next to a ruler to give an idea of the size.

top pen
July 16th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Keep the advice coming I will try to amend my ad in a few hours to the advice stated.

penwash
July 16th, 2016, 09:48 AM
One more suggestion:

Please state from which country are you going to ship the pen from, or simply fill the Location info on your forum profile, so buyers can see where you are based at.

It drives me batty when I had to do detective work just to figure out that the pen I'm interested in buying turned out to be located outside of the country where I live in.

That makes a lot of difference in shipping cost.