PDA

View Full Version : Help me i'm obsessed!!!!

Toffer
January 28th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Right I think I have a problem, I can't help looking at safari's!!! So I have an al-star winging its way to me now hopefully and I have just seen a red safari with black clip and also a yellow safari with black clip for sale on eBay for £20 each! Is this a good price or should I restrain myself!! There is also a pink one on there at the moment currently at £3.50, though I'm sure this will go up!!

fountainpenkid
January 28th, 2013, 10:47 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the red and yellow ones with a black clip are quite collectable. I'm no expert on Lamys, but I'm pretty sure that's a good deal...I remember seeing eBay sales of them going for over $200!!

Best!

Toffer
January 28th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Yea I thought they were pretty collectable and they are buy it now so thought I may get them!! Do they ever have fakes or is it not a problem with the safari? Was also wondering if they could have just coloured a silver clip black?!

KrazyIvan
January 28th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the dark side Toffer. To your question, I don't think I have ever seen or heard/read of complaints on a fake Safari. Fountain pens are relatively a small market now but the market is growing at a fast pace. It may be a problem in the future.

Bogon07
January 28th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the dark side Toffer. To your question, I don't think I have ever seen or heard/read of complaints on a fake Safari. Fountain pens are relatively a small market now but the market is growing at a fast pace. It may be a problem in the future.

I think Toffer is worried these aren't genuine rare early editions but FrankenLamys made by swapping parts between pens.
In this case the black clip from a Charcoal Safari or Graphite Al-Star on a yellow or red safari.

There are some helpful threads over at FPN, where I see Toffer has already asked the same question.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22180-lamy-safari-colours/page__pid__2580098__st__550#entry2580098

As for the pink safari, sometimes Lamy with re-release these limited edition colours again for a short time in different regions, that is how I picked up a pink and an orange at regular prices. Often these will have dots rather than a cross on the top of the cap to differentiate them from the original. The thread on FPN has some discussion about that too.

fountainpenkid
January 28th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I hope bphollin (if I botched his name I apologize!) replies to this...he knows an incredible amount about Lamy safaris...

KrazyIvan
January 28th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hmmmmm, frankenpen Safari. Looks at carbon Safari and blue Al-Star.

Bogon07
January 28th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I hope bphollin (if I botched his name I apologize!) replies to this...he knows an incredible amount about Lamy safaris...

Yep, Bphollin has already replied to Toffer on the FPN thread.

Careful KI. The sections of the Al-Star and Safari don't quite fit precisely, the o-ring things are connected differently.
I did experimentally try Vista/Safari combinations for fun. Can't remember if I tried fitting the Nexx grip on a Safari ?
A Joy could be a source of black clips and red buttons though.

KrazyIvan
January 28th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I'm thinking clips and nibs.

Toffer
January 29th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, I was worried that they were complete genuine fakes or maybe 'frankenstein' ones! But for £20 I don't think they are too bad and as Bphollin said it seems a fair price, I opted for the yellow with black clip! Will soon have enough to have a different ink in each pen! Thanks for the help guys. :)

snedwos
January 31st, 2013, 07:25 PM

Careful KI. The sections of the Al-Star and Safari don't quite fit precisely, the o-ring things are connected differently.
I did experimentally try Vista/Safari combinations for fun. Can't remember if I tried fitting the Nexx grip on a Safari ?

The Nexx grip won't fit on the safari, unfortunately. I have tried, to no avail.

Thanks guys for the advice, I was worried that they were complete genuine fakes or maybe 'frankenstein' ones! But for £20 I don't think they are too bad and as Bphollin said it seems a fair price, I opted for the yellow with black clip! Will soon have enough to have a different ink in each pen! Thanks for the help guys. :)

Then that means you will need more inks!

Sailor Kenshin
February 10th, 2013, 08:05 AM

Does anyone know whether the Al Star fountain pen sections can be switched out into an Al Star rollerball....kind if the way Sheaffer No Nonsense ballpoint bodies can be used with the fountain pen sections?

Thanks.

Bogon07
February 10th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Yes I saw a blue AlStar in a shop with no ink window and a roller ball with one !