PDA

View Full Version : Home made Kaweco Sport ink converter

Monz
July 25th, 2016, 05:27 PM
We have 3 Kaweco Sport pens in the house. The commercially available sac type ink converter holds a tiny amount of ink and the newly introduced “piston” type converter is only slightly better. My 13 year old son (who is a fan of the Kaweco Sport) and I decided to make our own larger capacity ink converter. It only took a few minutes.

Items required (Fig 1):

Used/ empty Kaweco ink cartridge
Size 18 Latex ink sac or Size 17 Silicone ink sac
Sharp knife
Shellac
Ruler

Procedure:

1.Take an empty Kaweco ink cartridge and cut it 5mm from the ridge (see Fig 2)

2.Cut the sac so that it is 4.7 cm long (see Figs 3 and 4)

3.Apply coating of Shellac to end of cut cartridge (see Fig 5)

4.Pull the open end of the ink sac on to the end of the cut cartridge (see Fig 6)

5.Allow the Shellac to dry.

That’s it!

See Fig 7 for comparison with commercial converter and a ink cartridge.

The home made converter can be filled to the brim using a two stage squeezing technique: the first one or two squeezes will half fill the converter. At this stage, take the pen out of the bottle and hold upright with the nib pointing upwards. Tap the converter so that the ink settles at the bottom of the converter where surface tension will hold it. Then put the nib back in the bottle and squeeze out the air pocket and wait for more ink to be drawn up… the converter should now be almost completely full of ink.

Laura N
July 25th, 2016, 08:07 PM
That's awesome, and those are great photo illustrations. Thank you for sharing this. I love the option of being able to make a less expensive converter using materials we may already have.

Can I ask whether this converter is sturdy enough to pull on and off frequently?

Monz
July 26th, 2016, 09:37 AM
That's awesome, and those are great photo illustrations. Thank you for sharing this. I love the option of being able to make a less expensive converter using materials we may already have.

Can I ask whether this converter is sturdy enough to pull on and off frequently?

Hi Laura. The home made convertor seems pretty robust. Just the hold the rigid part when pulling it on or off.

Video11
July 27th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks for this, I'm going to give it a try.

Cheers,

Rick

earthdawn
July 27th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Hehe ....

I did a video on this about 4 years ago....

Its amazing they still have not come up with a gond solution to a convertor for these pens.

Great, easy to follow instructions for an excellent way to increase ink capacity.