PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan Peilikano vs. the P55 Future ???

Saintpaulia
January 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I did a search of this sub-forum before posting this new thread. Was surprised to see only one post come up with either pen's name. And it has zero info.

So, I'd appreciate it if you those of you who have owned or written with both of these lower-end Pelikans would share with me your experience with comparing the Pelikano vs. the Future.

Thanks! Breck in snowy Washington

eriquito
January 29th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I've not used the Future, but I have used the Pelikano Jr. The Pelikano is designed for and marketed to young school children just learning to write. If you have small hands, you might like the pen. I did not. It was not only too small for my hand but the grip area forced me to hold the pen in a way that was uncomfortable.

The Future looks lovely =)

- Eric

Saintpaulia
January 29th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I've not used the Future, but I have used the Pelikano Jr. The Pelikano is designed for and marketed to young school children just learning to write. If you have small hands, you might like the pen. I did not. It was not only too small for my hand but the grip area forced me to hold the pen in a way that was uncomfortable.

The Future looks lovely =)

- Eric
Thanks for your response. I am not interested in the Junior however. The Pelikano itself.

eriquito
January 29th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your response. I am not interested in the Junior however. The Pelikano itself.

A-ha! In that case, I haven't used either pen. Sorry.

Aesthetically, however, I'd still have to go with the Future.

=) Eric

Saintpaulia
January 29th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Aesthetically, however, I'd still have to go with the Future.=) Eric
Agreed! my point exactly. But I can't buy a pen just because it looks attractive if it is not as good a pen as another. In this case one of its own "kind". I've done some research via reviews online and the verdit is mixed on whether the Future is the better pen or the Pelikano. Interestingly enough, the Pelikano is actually about 3 grams heavier than the Future.

Even odder in a way, the Pelikano, while a heavier pen, is about $10 less than the Future. I cannot find a Future for less than $27.00 on eBay and the Pelikanos are averaging about $17.00.

Except for these "vintage" Pelikanos. They are running into some substantial sums, $75-145! I don't know what it is about these "vintage" Pelikanos. Non-vintage ones as I've already said, are $17.97 from streetfair on eBay.

Pendora
January 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM
My little pen store has recently become an Authorized retailer for Pelikan and I have been wondering which products I should stock vs. specialorder. I ordered in the Pelikano, Pelikano Jr, the P55, M200 and the Pura.

The Pelikano Jr is very elementary and is really designed for children. I equate that to writing with a crayon. The Pelikanos are really fun pens, the design is youthful and fun, but it writes pretty decent for a lower-end pen. The future I thought looked nice but in my hand I didnt like it. It was a bit scratchie, to me felt cheap, and overall just simply didnt care for it (we all have our biases I suppose). I will order the Future pens for customers at a great price but I wont stock them. The M200 is a veryclassic pen, exactly what you would expect and writes very well but is the most expensive of the order and doesnt fit everyones budget. The Pura was the best one in the lot. It priced in the middle of all of these ($89-$99) but its a great pen. I got the black, blue and the silver and the silver is the most attractive, sleek and shiny, fits well in the hand, writes perfectly and comes in a nice metal clamshell box.

So, the pelikano is a good choice on the cheaper end and the Pura is a good choice for the mid range.

Michelle
www.pendorapens.com
http://www.pendorapens.com/pelikan.html

Saintpaulia
January 30th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Dear Pendora-Michelle,

[Great name for the shop by the way :) ]

Thank you SO much for the reply! Great info! Just what I needed. I did wonder about the Future given it is lighter in weight than the Pelikano. It is too bad that Pelikan decided to name two of its pens the same name, with only the "Junior" to set things apart. I keep getting replies about the Junior!

Re: the Future, you'd think that the grip would be comfortable from the looks of it. But you are not the first to complain. Whereas the Pelikano's grip looks rather funky and yet few fault it. Since I have limited (very limited) funds for trying different pens (sometimes called "collecting"), I have to stay in the range of Pelikanos, Metropolitans, and the VFM (I don't have any of these, just examples of inexpensive pens).

Your discussion of the Pura has me interested even though at just shy of $100 that would be for me an expensive pen. The upper limit for me has been, so far, about $75.00 (Diplomat Traveler, Pilot Cavalier, Waterman Hemisphere, used Namiki Falcon, etc.); most recently, in transit, a Pelikan M100. I'll take a look at the Pura though and your website. Esp. like to help new, small businesses, like Goulet USED to be. They don't need my help now! LOL!

Cheers, Breck

Bogon07
January 30th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I was just looking at the Pelikano yesterday and noticed they have a new LE in "noble black" Which I think looks much better than the silver Future and more business like than the blue, green or pink colours.
http://www.pelikano.co.uk/pelikano/Pulsar/en_GB.CMS.displayCMS.44./pelikano-the-new-generation

http://www.pelikano.co.uk/pelikano/Pulsar/en_GB.CMS.displayCMS.63./pelikano-the-new-generation-fountain-pen-roller
I'm not sure what they mean by "available as a fountain pen with deletable ink" ?

Saintpaulia
January 30th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I was just looking at the Pelikano yesterday and noticed they have a new LE in "noble black" Which I think looks much better than the silver Future and more business like than the blue, green or pink colours.
http://www.pelikano.co.uk/pelikano/Pulsar/en_GB.CMS.displayCMS.44./pelikano-the-new-generation

http://www.pelikano.co.uk/pelikano/Pulsar/en_GB.CMS.displayCMS.63./pelikano-the-new-generation-fountain-pen-roller
I'm not sure what they mean by "available as a fountain pen with deletable ink" ?

Thanks Capybara. It is handsome.

Bogon07
January 30th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately I can't see to much about the black one anywhere and that UK site doesn't seem to be dated.

I did find a US(?) one but it is nearly two year old. :cry: March 2011: Limited Special Edition! - Black is beautiful!
(currently only models for right-handers)

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.Store.displayStore.120886./pelikano-fountain-pen-black