PDA

View Full Version : Important new on OMAS

Jon Szanto
July 31st, 2016, 11:37 AM
From a poster on reddit, on a thread at FPN, comes news of a rescue by one of the prime members of the Wahl-Eversharp resurrection. Worth a read, and fingers crossed.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/311432-omas-information/?p=3673463

"This note is to inform you all that after almost a year of negotiations with Omas pen company, through its Chinese owner, we finally reached an agreement and purchased all of Omas stocks and basic materials that will allow us to remake the superb celluloid pens manufactured by Omas since 1925. No doubt, those great celluloid colors are the identity of Omas for all of its pen collectors."

ETA: Sorry about the typo in the thread title...

earthdawn
July 31st, 2016, 11:44 AM
There will be news at the DC show about this as well....

jar
July 31st, 2016, 11:57 AM
And I have been told they will also preserve the documentation that exists at Omas.

Chrissy
July 31st, 2016, 12:52 PM
It's good news. :applause:

earthdawn
July 31st, 2016, 03:02 PM
There will be about 50 NOS Omas pens at the DC show for sale....

Ill be seeking out to see if they brought any of the elusive 3B nibs.

AND.... oh so super happy ill be arriving about 6am Thursday to start hunting down the few things I am looking for :):):)

dannzeman
July 31st, 2016, 03:17 PM

You mean one of these?

earthdawn
July 31st, 2016, 03:19 PM

You mean one of these?

https://flic.kr/p/G1PVcU

The pic did not work... but yea yea yea ... the one you have ... My god that thing is AMAZING !!!!!!!!

Jon Szanto
July 31st, 2016, 03:24 PM
You mean one of these?

Showoff. :)

Chrissy
July 31st, 2016, 03:51 PM
That's not a nib. It's a shovel :)

Jon Szanto
July 31st, 2016, 04:17 PM

Honestly, I often wonder what anyone would do with a nib like that, save for ogle it. Even my 1.1 italics and similar are large enough that I can't find many uses for the, except for greeting cards. When I've tried to write letters with them, it just looks silly, with script that large; a postcard? - forget it!

There are, I am sure, specific uses, but a nib like that on a pen would see so little use for me it would be a crying shame. Of course, assuming you bought it to use it, which isn't always the case.

dannzeman
July 31st, 2016, 04:18 PM

Honestly, I often wonder what anyone would do with a nib like that, save for ogle it. Even my 1.1 italics and similar are large enough that I can't find many uses for the, except for greeting cards. When I've tried to write letters with them, it just looks silly, with script that large; a postcard? - forget it!

There are, I am sure, specific uses, but a nib like that on a pen would see so little use for me it would be a crying shame. Of course, assuming you bought it to use it, which isn't always the case.

I write my thank you notes to customers with this, my M1005 BBB, and my Hemingway OBB. So they all see lots of use.

Jon Szanto
July 31st, 2016, 04:41 PM
I write my thank you notes to customers with this, my M1005 BBB, and my Hemingway OBB. So they all see lots of use.

That means a note of either 5 words or card stock the size of a billboard!

(I kid, I keep all your notes).

Well, good to know you've got a use for that magnificent hoe.

Lady Onogaro
July 31st, 2016, 08:28 PM

I can testify that his notes look great with that nib and Emerald of Chivor.

youstruckgold
August 1st, 2016, 08:11 AM
really?? Do tell! I'm so excited!!!!:dance3::dance3::dance3:

saskia_madding
August 1st, 2016, 12:31 PM
Any chance I could see a writing sample with that huge, beautiful nib? :D I'd love to get my hands on one of those too, so maybe I'll have some luck in DC. :D

You mean one of these?

dannzeman
August 1st, 2016, 12:35 PM
Any chance I could see a writing sample with that huge, beautiful nib? :D I'd love to get my hands on one of those too, so maybe I'll have some luck in DC. :D

You mean one of these?

This is the only image I can locate at the moment, and it was before I adjusted it for slightly more flow.

earthdawn
August 1st, 2016, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=saskia_madding;178529]Any chance I could see a writing sample with that huge, beautiful nib? :D I'd love to get my hands on one of those too, so maybe I'll have some luck in DC. :D

And the race is on :spy::crazy_pilot:

saskia_madding
August 1st, 2016, 01:07 PM
:D You're going DOWN, earthdawn!

Thanks, dannzeman. It's lovely!

TSherbs
August 1st, 2016, 01:30 PM

You mean one of these?

That nib has had enhancement surgery!!

fountainpenkid
August 1st, 2016, 05:13 PM
I'm overjoyed! Let's pray this means Arco celluloid pens will be back on the market again.

Sammyo
August 1st, 2016, 09:24 PM
I had been trying to save to get an Omas, but then they disappeared and the prices sky rocketed on the models I wanted... maybe now I'm in with a chance!!!! :applause::bounce:

heldentenor
August 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Per the conditions of sale listed on eBay, these will not be available to buyers in the USA. Bummer.

Woody
August 24th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I only have one question about the Omas models for sale. I've enjoyed the pics, understand they're beautiful pens ... BUT what about servicing when the pen needs it?

Laura N
August 24th, 2016, 07:53 PM
I only have one question about the Omas models for sale. I've enjoyed the pics, understand they're beautiful pens ... BUT what about servicing when the pen needs it?

There is no servicing. There is no Omas in operation at this moment. The seller bought the inventory from Omas and is liquidating it.

So, a current eBay listing says, very clearly: "We do not undertake any sort of factory warranty, we are not Omas pen company and have no parts for repair but we take care and stand behind the products according the ebay rules." (Emphasis in original.) That means that you can seek a refund through eBay if the item is not as described when it arrives.

The auction (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMAS-S2001-OGIVA-CHASED-FULL-STERLING-SILVER-925-RARE-EDITION-REFOM213-/162177318030?hash=item25c2857c8e:g:frEAAOSwJqpXoH0 C) I looked at appears open to US buyers.

earthdawn
August 24th, 2016, 09:06 PM

There is no servicing. There is no Omas in operation at this moment. The seller bought the inventory from Omas and is liquidating it.

So, a current eBay listing says, very clearly: "We do not undertake any sort of factory warranty, we are not Omas pen company and have no parts for repair but we take care and stand behind the products according the ebay rules." (Emphasis in original.) That means that you can seek a refund through eBay if the item is not as described when it arrives.

The auction (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMAS-S2001-OGIVA-CHASED-FULL-STERLING-SILVER-925-RARE-EDITION-REFOM213-/162177318030?hash=item25c2857c8e:g:frEAAOSwJqpXoH0 C) I looked at appears open to US buyers.

I saw that too...

But once I clicked the shipping rates it comes up unavailable. So while it may say they will the shipping rate won't let you see.

I am curious what happens when a USA buyer wins the auction.

heldentenor
August 25th, 2016, 09:30 AM
I had a bid cancelled in an earlier auction of theirs because I was a US buyer. I'm not sure a US buyer would be allowed to win. Interesting that some of their auctions have text saying "We do not sell to the USA" while others do not.

Robert
August 25th, 2016, 04:40 PM
The seller does quote shipping cost to the U.S. on some (non-Omas) pens, like $35.00 for a Visconti Wall Street. It is curious that this seller seems to exclude Omas pens from sale to the U.S.

penwash
August 25th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I had a bid cancelled in an earlier auction of theirs because I was a US buyer. I'm not sure a US buyer would be allowed to win. Interesting that some of their auctions have text saying "We do not sell to the USA" while others do not.

What a weird restriction.
They mention in the auction that US sales are handled by US distributors, but what does that mean?
Can we in the US buy OMAS pens being liquidated or not?

If yes, who are these US distributors? Anybody know?

SIDE NOTE: I am not in a hurry to get one. Just curious.

jar
August 25th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Right now it appears folk living in the US cannot buy the liquidation items.

But this is all still early. Let's wait and see if Phoenix rises.

earthdawn
August 25th, 2016, 07:08 PM

What a weird restriction.
They mention in the auction that US sales are handled by US distributors, but what does that mean?
Can we in the US buy OMAS pens being liquidated or not?

If yes, who are these US distributors? Anybody know?

SIDE NOTE: I am not in a hurry to get one. Just curious.

KENRO is the US distributor and we are all waiting for word on when they will be getting what we hope is the lions share.

Sammyo
August 25th, 2016, 09:52 PM
KENRO is the US distributor and we are all waiting for word on when they will be getting what we hope is the lions share.

Why would the US get the "Lions share"? it is only the fourth most populated continent in the world! :whip::facepalm::hug::big_boss::redface:
(if it's not clear from all the emoticons, this was meant in a playful way only, I lived in the US for 10 years :crazy_pilot:)

earthdawn
August 25th, 2016, 11:41 PM

Why would the US get the "Lions share"? it is only the fourth most populated continent in the world! :whip::facepalm::hug::big_boss::redface:
(if it's not clear from all the emoticons, this was meant in a playful way only, I lived in the US for 10 years :crazy_pilot:)

Playful cause I want a BBB nib....

The US is also not where they are made so getting the "Lions" share here would be ridiculous...