PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a quick drying ink for coated paper

dmitch86
August 3rd, 2016, 09:35 AM
I'm a retail buyer, and spend many hours in meetings with vendors looking at product. They all have their fancy catalogs, and each time I forget how useless my fountain pen is until I go to mark something and the ink just sits there. Are there any quick drying inks that would work well on catalog/coated paper? I would prefer something not black. Sharpies are great, but I would love an excuse to order another bottle of ink.

naimitsu
August 4th, 2016, 07:21 AM
We discovered quite by accident that Visconti Turquoise dries rather quickly on coated paper. It's not instantaneous, but it was dry to the touch within a few seconds.

Scooby921
August 4th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Ehhh...I just decided to write, time, and smear test the ink and it's not as fast as I thought. It's faster to dry than the rest of the pens / inks on my desk right now, but I think it was perception that led me to say it was really fast. Using my Black n' Red 90g coated pad I did four vertical strokes, one every 5 seconds, and ran my finger across them at the 20 second mark. The Visconti Turquoise did seem to be the fastest drying ink, but it wasn't the huge difference my mind perceived it to be while writing with that ink this week.

Visconti Turquoise out of a Visconti Michelangelo w/ Fine Dreamtouch nib was mostly dry in 15 seconds. Pelikan Topaz took 20 seconds to reach the same level out of a TWSBI 580 w/ Broad Pendleton Brown cursive italic. Paradise Pen Vineyard Burgundy also required 20 seconds to reach a similar dryness out of a MB 145 w/ Medium Mottishaw cursive italic. Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu also needed 20+ seconds out of a TWSBI 580 w/ Medium Pendleton Brown cursive italic. Montblanc Twilight Blue wasn't even close to dry within 20 seconds out of a Visconti Opera Master w/ Fine 18k Masuyama tuned firehose. In fact it was still wet enough that I wiped the blue right off it and left a green line behind!

So yeah, I guess it is 5 seconds faster to dry and admittedly I write a bit heavier than the rest of the fountain pen geeks in this office. So the next person likely writes a thinner, drier line and it does dry faster. Unless that person is using my Opera Master and then it doesn't matter because it's a firehose for anyone.

dmitch86
August 4th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Haha, thanks for trying that out. I've got a few of my inks I figured I'd smear test this afternoon. Unfortunately they are the inks I currently have and am not to happy with on coated paper but at least it would be something to compare.

dmitch86
August 4th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Sorry for my sloppy hand writing.... I'm not sure how I like my newest acquisition the Schrade Tactical fountain pen. It does write smooth, but a little too thick for my taste, both in nid size and overall diameter.
Below is a quick smear test in the back of one of my catalogs, sorry I don’t really have any information on the paper though.
In case you can't read my writing, first was the Schrade pen with Noodler's Q'ternity, second is a Waterman Kultur with Noodler's Berning Red and lastly was a Pilot Metropolitan with Pelikan 4001 Black.

I’m thinking I might have good success with the Berning Red in my much finer Pilot… I’ll give that a try when it comes time to refill.

http://i63.tinypic.com/krjtz.jpg

Scooby921
August 4th, 2016, 06:35 PM
When you said coated before I just assumed you meant a most of the common "coated" papers like Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Black n' Red, etc. Did you actually mean high gloss prints like this catalog or a calendar and things of that nature...prints essentially? I'll have to source something more appropriate to test with, but I would expect my dry times will increase further. If anything I would think a scratchy nib might help you with this kind of paper only because it might scratch through the surface coating ever so slightly and allow the ink to soak into the paper and "dry".

dmitch86
August 5th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Yeah, most of the time they are very glossy prints like pictured, or like a calendar. I do have a pen.. a Platinum Preppy PN-900 that I have always loved but never used cause it was surprisingly scratchy, I'll dig that out and give it a try. That might just be the trick!

naimitsu
September 7th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Not sure how if this applies to coated papers, but JetPens.com just sent out a new article about Fast Drying FP Inks: http://www.jetpens.com/blog/fast-drying-fountain-pen-inks/pt/896?utm_source=JetPens+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3108f483b8-20160907_enews&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e853d77ed9-3108f483b8-295167025&mc_cid=3108f483b8&mc_eid=81d5d8281d

KKay
September 8th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Sheaffer Skrip Brown, Diamine Majestic Purple, Diamine Majestic Blue, Pelikan 4001 Turquoise, Diamine Havasu Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner-Cassia, Iroshizuku-Fuyu syogun, & Kaweco-Paradise Blue...all of these dried quickly for me. It would depend on the pen, and how wide and wet your nib is though as well.

d3cadent
September 16th, 2016, 02:30 AM
Although I truly admire Diamine Majestic Blue for its color, I am very sure it isn't the greatest choice for coated paper. To me it smears even on Rhodia, even days after being laid down. And once you get the smear on your hand / shirt sleeve / sandwich, then it'll be there for good. DMB is very persistent: your best bet is to wait for it to wear down your fingers than to try to wash it off. So despite the great color and amazing sheen, I retreat from using it in the office. Too much embarrassment for the smallest mistakes. For me at least, that is.