PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Clutch Pencil Review: Kaweco Sketch Up Brilliant

Chrissy
August 3rd, 2016, 10:26 AM
Kaweco SketchUp Pocket Clutch Pencil Review

Kaweco's product range is perfectly described by the keywords "tradition" and “innovation"

Twist pencils as well as mechanical pencils have always rounded off the Kaweco range.
Apart from a variety of pens which were integrated in the various series, Kaweco also offered a range of so-called office pencils. Nowadays, mechanical pencils and clutch pencils of this kind are mainly used for scribbling and drawing purposes. In this field, Kaweco offers a great choice of products. Spare leads for many purposes complete the range.

Appearance and Design

The Kaweco Sketch Up Brilliant is a small but substantial, pocket, push-button, clutch action, sketching pencil in brilliant chrome-plated brass with ‘Kaweco Sketch Up 5.6 Germany’ script etched on the barrel. The four part grip that holds the lead comes out like something out of the Alien movie when you push the top into the other end of the barrel

This finish is called brilliant, but it also comes in Brass, Chrome and Black. This pencil comes packaged in a Kaweco 'nostalgic' metal tin.

Construction and quality

This pen is made from heavy, shiny, chrome-plated brass. It's octagonal Kaweco shape feels well made and substantial in your hand. The integrated sharpener is inside the unscrewable, push button top which has a pleasing knurled edge as well as 3 decorative bands. Three decorative bands are repeated around the grip of the pencil. It's construction was obviously very well thought out, as the pencil has smooth flowing lines. The pencil uses 5.6mm leads that are available as refills.

Weight and Dimensions

Weight: 44.7grams. Measurements: (lead retracted); 102mm, Diameter: 13mm

Performance

The pencil comes with one lead inside, and I took a moment or too to work out how to work it. You press the top in to release the grip on the lead. If you aren't careful to hold the pencil horizontally when doing this, the lead can fall out completely. You can replace the lead from either end. To remove the push button top you unscrew it anti-clockwise, and inside it is the integrated sharpener for sharpening the lead point. I wondered if this finish might be slippery in my hand, but I can confirm it didn't feel at all slippery.

Maintenance

None neccesary. Just wipe off the fingerprints if you wish. Load it with a lead and sketch away.

Cost and Value

I found this particular pencil for sale at MostWanted-Pens.com for €27.50. A refill pack of leads costs €3.95

I think thats a reasonable price to pay for this pencil. It doesn't seem particularly overpriced. I have only found different versions of this pencil for sale within the UK at £24.29 (Pen Heaven, brass version)

Overall Opinion

I think this is a really well made, sturdy pencil. If I was an artist, I would carry it around with me. Sadly, I'm not an artist, or even a decent sketcher. However, because I was given the pencil by Kaweco, in exchange for an honest review, I felt I should actually have a go at sketching something. So I tried my best to copy a sketch of a hand from the Internet. I apologise to all artists for it's quality.All in all, I really like this pencil and I would recommend it. Picture to follow.

Chrissy
August 3rd, 2016, 11:27 AM
Here's the sketch of a hand that I attempted.

dowales
August 3rd, 2016, 12:23 PM
thanks for the review. I really appreciated the information. I would note that if you are not an artist, then based off the picture your are an excellent amateur! :)

Chrissy
August 3rd, 2016, 01:04 PM
thanks for the review. I really appreciated the information. I would note that if you are not an artist, then based off the picture your are an excellent amateur! :)

You're welcome.:) That was actually my second attempt. :)

dowales
August 3rd, 2016, 03:21 PM
still brillant