PDA

View Full Version : Bon soir from south Louisiana

cajunphil
August 9th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Hello from South Louisiana. Just getting back into the pen community after a ten year hiatus. Retirement leaves you much less free time than working.

Anne
August 9th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Welcome back!:)

jar
August 9th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Hawk
August 9th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Welcome.

Lady Onogaro
August 9th, 2016, 07:43 PM
:welcome:

DaveT
August 10th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Phil, Hello and welcome from Indiana!

cajunphil
August 10th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Thanks folks. Lady I like the Wilde quote in your sig.

Morgaine
August 11th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Hello and Welcome.

southpaw52
August 12th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Welcome back!

Wahl
August 14th, 2016, 12:56 PM

WmEdwards
August 16th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Welcome! I hope you are not having to deal with the flooding. I have many friends in bad shape in the Baton Rouge area.

Lady Onogaro
August 16th, 2016, 06:01 PM
I live north of I-10 in Lafayette, and the traffic is terrible (I know it is also terrible in Baton Rouge). They are still taking vehicles off 10 and re-routing them up through Opelousas.

This afternoon, I went to Petco (near I-10); when I got there, the parking lots were dry. When I left about a half hour later, the lots were getting wet. It had not rained--it's the backwash. Water is rising from the drains because it has no where to go. It's raining north of us. I don't know when we will ever get back to normal. The coulees over by the University (of Louisiana) are full. If it rains tonight or tomorrow, move-in day will have to be postponed again.

WmEdwards
August 16th, 2016, 06:47 PM
It is very sad. I have competed in and judged HRC and AKC retriever events in Baton Rouge/Jackson over to Jennings/Lafeyette/Lake Charles for close to 10 years. I have spent so many weekends over that way it makes me ill what those good folks are going through. I will probably be over there with my church doing disaster relief stuff next week in Baton Rouge. Prayers sent for everyone affected.

snowbear
August 16th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Welcome aboard.

cajunphil
August 17th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Welcome! I hope you are not having to deal with the flooding. I have many friends in bad shape in the Baton Rouge area.

Welcome to you too WmEdwards. I have made many visits over the years to the Gulfport/Biloxi area. I know what you folks have had to go through with Camille. Thank god we didn't have to contend with high winds and storm surge in this event.

I'm in Pointe Coupee Parish about 40 miles NW of Baton Rouge, on 40 arpents (about 36 acres) that stretch between between two bayous that came out of their banks. Fortunately I am high enough and didn't flood, but have three vehicles in a pasture behind the house which are inaccessible because the road into the pasture is so soggy and muddy. It will take a few days of sunshine to dry the road and that may not happen for a while.

It would be great to get enough interest to organize a S. LS/MS pen club. You would think that there would be sufficient pen collectors in New Orleans to support a pen club big enough to sponsor a show. Hotels are always tough in NOLA with Mardi Gras, JazzFest, Sugar Bowl, conventions, etc., but the outlying hotels in Kenner near the airport are large enough.

Thanks to you and your church for your relief efforts in Baton Rouge. Disasters like this bring out the best people to help.

cajunphil
August 17th, 2016, 09:03 AM
This afternoon, I went to Petco (near I-10); when I got there, the parking lots were dry. When I left about a half hour later, the lots were getting wet. It had not rained--it's the backwash. Water is rising from the drains because it has no where to go. It's raining north of us. I don't know when we will ever get back to normal. The coulees over by the University (of Louisiana) are full. If it rains tonight or tomorrow, move-in day will have to be postponed again.

Good morning Lady Onogaro. I went to the Office Depot store in that same shopping center about a week ago to purchase stationary and ink. No joy on either. I asked the store robot if it made sense to have pens for sale if they did not carry ink. She didn't believe me that the store had pens until I showed her the display rack. I guess they are not a hot item there.

Lady Onogaro
August 17th, 2016, 09:09 PM

Good morning Lady Onogaro. I went to the Office Depot store in that same shopping center about a week ago to purchase stationary and ink. No joy on either. I asked the store robot if it made sense to have pens for sale if they did not carry ink. She didn't believe me that the store had pens until I showed her the display rack. I guess they are not a hot item there.
That store is terrible. I have found most of them to be bad, though. I wish we would get a Staples store instead.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y336-A1 using Tapatalk

VertOlive
August 18th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Welcome, hope you're high and dry.

cajunphil
August 19th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Welcome, hope you're high and dry.

Thanks VertOlive. No problems except for a muddy driveway and pasture that could use a few days of Sun

Frank
August 20th, 2016, 11:20 AM

cajunphil
August 20th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Thank you Frank. Are you out in the country or so close to philly that you are urbanized?