PDA

View Full Version : Help with pen ideas.

Toffer
February 2nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
I'm after some advice from your collective minds and knowledge! I have a birthday coming up and am thinking of pens to ask for/ buy with money I receive, I already have another Lamy Safari on my list to add to my growing collection but am thinking of something vintage or anything you feel is nice and worth looking at. Just from looking around on the net I have taken a shine to Esterbrook relief's, does anyone have one, what are their thoughts, and any information you can give or point me too would be good. I don't think I will want to spend more than £40 ish is it possible to pick one up for this price, I have seen some on eBay at around the £30 mark but am unsure at what to look for e.g. problems they can have.

KrazyIvan
February 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
My vintage experience started with Esterbrook.

Toffer
February 2nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Which one and what are your experiences of it?

caribbean_skye
February 2nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
My first foray/only vintage pens are: Esterbrook "dollar" pen and Sheaffer Imperial.

snedwos
February 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
I have a Sheaffer Touchdown I found on eBay for a tenner.

fountainpenkid
February 3rd, 2013, 06:10 AM
You can sometimes find Sheaffer snorkels for around that mark, restored. They are great and neat pens.
The esterbrook reliefs are pretty. But the ones I found were a bit out of your price range.

KrazyIvan
February 3rd, 2013, 10:53 PM
Which one and what are your experiences of it?

The J and SJ and a transitional. I like the pens, especially my Bell Systems Labs versions. I am in communications so it kind of rings a bell with me. I like that there are so many nibs out there for them.