PDA

View Full Version : Hello From A New Member

Lane
February 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Hello all,

I am newly obsessed with fountain pens and am glad to have found some company in that obsession. I've been listening to the podcast for some time now and love the all the humor and insight Eric, Stephen and Dan offer up every week.

I've actually been using fountain pens for years. More accurately, I've been using "a" fountain pen for years: the Lamy Safari in charcoal with a fine nib. I bought the Safari on a lark and with the idea of making the writing I do in my daily life a bit more stylish and interesting. I had no particular appreciation or interest in fountain pens at that time. Slowly, I have become a fanatic.

To explain, I write constantly and by necessity in my profession. I also write as a pastime and tinker with the idea of writing a book. Despite my love of paper, I also consider myself to be somewhat environmentally conscious. That is one of the reasons I wanted a pen I could keep and reuse instead of just throwing it away. I did, however, find myself constantly tossing out empty plastic cartridges. That led me to purchase a Z24 converter and then a bottle of Lamy Blue ink and then, you see, it was only a short jump to a full blow case of plumophilia. When I began searching for a replacement bottle of ink I discovered Noodler's ink and was amazed by the variety of colors I could choose from. My ink searches led me to Stephen Brown's amazing videos, Brian Goulet's website and, eventually, FPGeeks.

I've started a (very small) collection of pens, pictured below with my notebook. My trusty Lamy Safari is there along with a Lamy Al-Star (M), Noodler's Konrad and TWSBI 540 (I have both a medium and broad nib for the 540). The 540 has become my daily writer, inked with Noodler's Liberty's Elysium. I am also very excited to say that I ordered a major addition to my collection yesterday: the Pelikan M200. I should receive it next week.

By the way, I live in Miami and have already marked the Miami Pen Show on my calendar. Maybe I will see some of you there. Thank you all for reading. I look forward to exchanging geeky thoughts about pens, inks and whatnot.

Lane

caribbean_skye
February 2nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
Welcome welcome.

It's nice to read that someone else is environmentally conscious (although I'm sure there are lot more on the forums but just haven't said as much). You should check out Staples' Sustainable Earth Sugarcane-based notebooks (which is what I predominantly use) which is made from 80% sugarcane waste.

I love a lot of ink colours myself and since I couldn't decide where to start I joined the Goulet's Ink Drop so now not only do I get some interesting ink in the mail but it's mail that's not junk or a bill, talk about double bonus.

Do let us know what you think about the Pelikan M200. I've heard nothing but good things about it however I'm always reticent about buying a pen I haven't had a chance to use and test out myself, especially if I'm spending more than $100 (limited funds over here).

I live in Texas so I don't plan on being at the Miami show (when is it btw), but if it coincides with a trip you'll bet I'll be there.

Have an inky good day. Ohhh... incase you haven't seen it, check out the InCoWriMo posts if you'd like to put your writing, pens and ink to a fun use.

Tracy Lee
February 2nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Plumophilia - is that really a thing? I am so excited that I may, too, suffer. :) Nice to meet you. I was "over" cartridges years ago myself. The quality was highly variable much of the time and the bottles are so much more satisfying. Since I cannot fathom throwing away a pen of any kind, it just makes sense to me to use something that never loses its usefulness.

KrazyIvan
February 2nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the slippery slope that is the Dark Side.

Lane
February 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thank you very much for the welcome.

CS - I will check out those notebooks. How is the paper? I will definitely check in after I've put the Pelikan through its paces. About buying a pen over the internet, yes, I agree. I'd rather touch, feel and write with a pen before buying. There are just really no stores in Miami that carry fountain pens, or proper paper for that matter. The Pelikan has such a great reputation that I felt like it was a fairly safe buy, but there is no accounting for personal taste.

Tracy - I don't know if "plumophilia" is an actual word, but the disease is real!

Ivan - Are there more pens on the Dark Side? If so, I'm in. ;)

caribbean_skye
February 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
CS - I will check out those notebooks. How is the paper?

PM me your address and I'll send a few sheets off to you.

Lane
February 2nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Done. Thanks!

auto winder
February 3rd, 2013, 01:00 AM
Welcome :welcome:

KrazyIvan
February 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Ivan - Are there more pens on the Dark Side? If so, I'm in. ;)

Your imagination is the limit.

earthdawn
February 4th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Your imagination is the limit.

And wallet lol

Welcome !!!!

fountainpenkid
February 4th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Welcome!

Bogon07
February 4th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Hi Lane and welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on the new Pelikan, I think you need another Lamy to celebrate.

Lane
February 4th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks everybody!

nusiax
February 5th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site. I have always used fountain pens. Just like the way they write. and I am old soul. Have always hand wrote notes and cards. Even hand write my Christmas cards every year. I have just started looking and learning about Collecting and all that goes with it. And I have a small collection.

I currently have several Lamy Fountain Pens, Safari and All-Star. Use them when traveling. Do not get upset when some one has a forgetful hand. I also have a Parker Fountain Pen, Do not know what model. But I like it. I also have a Montblanc Starwalker Doue, I do not use it much. But always wanted a Montblanc. And I have an old Diplomat Fountain Pen, my first real pen. I used to use it daily on my desk along with my Lamy. But now I have a Sailor 1911. It is taken the place as my daily pen. I use it all the time. What a great writer. Love the Nib.

I do not have a great deal of Ink. My favorite is Lamy Blue Black. I just like the color. But I also have Diplomat Blue. And I am recently trying something different have Copper Burst from Private Reserve. I like it to write notes. Looks great on my note cards.

Well I am new to the site. So any info would be greatly appreciated And I am new to collecting. But I do love my Fountain Pens.

Best Regards
Jean Robert Hunter Deuling

caribbean_skye
February 5th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Welcome welcome nuslax.

There's plenty of info on the boards unless you're looking for something specific you're not finding there.

Lane
February 10th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Pelikan arrived on Friday..... I'd post a review but I'm a bit pressed for time. All I can say is that my first reaction was to want to just throw all my other pens away. It is truly an amazing pen with a pleasant amount of flex and an incredibly smooth nib. It makes my Lamy and TWSBI feel like nails with ink flow. My only criticism is that it seems a bit small, smaller than the Lamy and TWSBI at any rate. When posted it is more than adequate.

Anyways, thanks again all for the warm welcome.