PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify Model No. of MB Pen

Yankelpen
August 20th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Can anyone identify the model number of my MB Pen. See attached photos. Dimension: Length is 135mm. Width at its widest point, which is the gold band where "Montblanc-Meisterstuck" is engraved is 12mm. The pen was pruchased around mid to late 1980's, or possibley early 1990's. The only other engraving is "Germany" on the gold band that holds the clip. Any information would be appreciated.

gwgtaylor
August 20th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Montblanc 144 classique. The most commonly faked Montblanc there is. My eyes aren't keen enough to tell if this one is genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrissy
August 21st, 2016, 06:18 AM
144R or old Classique it is, and an authentic bordeaux one by the looks of it's old original feed

pajaro
August 21st, 2016, 11:35 AM
Original feed, original nib, original type converter, revised section. Section must be a replacement.

Yankelpen
August 21st, 2016, 02:35 PM
Thank you for reply. I am puzzled about your comment on the section having been revised. I have never had this pen serviced since I purchased it. How does this pen's section differ from an original one?

jar
August 21st, 2016, 02:49 PM
Thank you for reply. I am puzzled about your comment on the section having been revised. I have never had this pen serviced since I purchased it. How does this pen's section differ from an original one?

Some of the Bordeaux ones came with a black section, IIRC the very earliest ones.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2016, 03:16 PM
Only the very earliest ones though. Are you saying that Montblanc never used that nib/feed combination with a bordeaux section?

pajaro
August 21st, 2016, 09:03 PM
I don't know if Montblanc never used the monotone nib with a bordeaux section. The original section of my first 144, bought in mid 1983, was black with plastic threads instead of metal. Sometimes the threads broke, and sometimes the front trim ring that the inner cap uses as a clutch ring, would come off, and the ring was hard to get to stay back on. Usually a new section was needed. Montblanc revised the section, making the front gold trim ring a threaded on item, and the section threads became metal. Also the converter was revised to a threaded type instead of a friction fit type.

When I sent one of my bordeaux pens to MB service because the trim ring had separated from the black section, the pen came back with the newer bordeaux section and my monotone nib was inserted into it. So, in a way they used the bordeaux section with a monotone gold nib.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2016, 09:33 PM
I've seen many pictures of bordeaux 144's that have monotone nibs and bordeaux sections. I must admit I haven't seen so many feeds in those pictures though. I thought they originally started with black sections then quickly revised it to bordeaux. That was even more likely if black sections were problematic.

Even if users didn't find their sections problematic, I can imagine that most would want a bordeaux section rather than a black one, as soon as they saw they were available. I know I would.:)

jar
August 22nd, 2016, 06:47 AM
I've seen many pictures of bordeaux 144's that have monotone nibs and bordeaux sections. I must admit I haven't seen so many feeds in those pictures though. I thought they originally started with black sections then quickly revised it to bordeaux. That was even more likely if black sections were problematic.

Even if users didn't find their sections problematic, I can imagine that most would want a bordeaux section rather than a black one, as soon as they saw they were available. I know I would.:)

IIRC the original one just used the same section/feed/nib assembly as the black pen. Likely just a cost saving decision at the time.

pajaro
August 22nd, 2016, 10:09 AM
I bought a bordeaux 144 in Pensacola in 1983 with a black section, and I bought a bordeaux 144 in a Left Handed Store in Boston in 1990 that had a black section. Perhaps they just palmed off the black sections on the left handed stepchildren. It must have taken Montblanc a while to redesign the section to remedy the weaknesses in it and make the sections body color.

Nevertheless, along with the Parker 51 the Montblanc 144 is my favorite pen of all. Like the 51 it always writes for me if I haven't let it run out of ink. No hard starting.

jar
August 22nd, 2016, 10:29 AM
I bought a bordeaux 144 in Pensacola in 1983 with a black section, and I bought a bordeaux 144 in a Left Handed Store in Boston in 1990 that had a black section. Perhaps they just palmed off the black sections on the left handed stepchildren. It must have taken Montblanc a while to redesign the section to remedy the weaknesses in it and make the sections body color.

Nevertheless, along with the Parker 51 the Montblanc 144 is my favorite pen of all. Like the 51 it always writes for me if I haven't let it run out of ink. No hard starting.

I hadn't heard anything about either a section weakness or redesign. Do you have any additional information about that?

pajaro
August 22nd, 2016, 11:49 AM
Original section threads were plastic. I found a few 144s with broken section threads. Later section threads are metal.

Gold trim ring on section was adhered. It was the clutch ring that made a friction fit with the inner cap, one reason why some inner caps would wear down. The trim ring had a tendency to break off, and even epoxy might not hold it on. A new section from Montblanc was the usual remedy. The newer sections have the trim ring thread onto a metal piece. It seems obvious to me that Montblanc was fixing some weaknesses. I have not read anything about it.

Sailor Kenshin
August 29th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Would a black 144/Classique have that red glow? An acquaintance just picked up two MB slip caps at an outdoor sale, and I'm trying to help him ID the things.

Just learned the dimensions:

length is 2.529 inches and the diameter: at base(widest portion of gold band)= .491, at tip (lower edge of gold clip=.356

Hope this helps, and hope I can help him!

Chrissy
August 29th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Would a black 144/Classique have that red glow? An acquaintance just picked up two MB slip caps at an outdoor sale, and I'm trying to help him ID the things.

Just learned the dimensions:

length is 2.529 inches and the diameter: at base(widest portion of gold band)= .491, at tip (lower edge of gold clip=.356

Hope this helps, and hope I can help him!

No a black 144/Classique would not look red like the OP's pen does. You can see this one is clearly red by comparing it with the black top on the converter

pajaro
August 29th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Was Sailor Kenshin referring to a red glow in the black pen when a light is snone into it? I have read of this before as a test of genuineness.

jar
August 29th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Was Sailor Kenshin referring to a red glow in the black pen when a light is snone into it? I have read of this before as a test of genuineness.

Unfortunately that red glow is also common these days in fakes.

Wile E Coyote
August 29th, 2016, 03:16 PM

DO the fakes appear clear when photographed in IR?

Chrissy
August 29th, 2016, 03:19 PM

I now have no idea whether he was referring to the OP's Bordeaux pen, or the usual red glow of black Meisterstuck pens.

jar
August 29th, 2016, 03:22 PM

No idea but I can assure you that if such a test became common the answer would be yes. The fakes need to pass any visual tests a common buyer is likely to use and they have shown themselves adept at adjust to meet every new anti-counterfeit attempt. The fakes need to pass all visual tests but there is no need for them to worry about functionality, reliability of after sales service.

pajaro
August 29th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Black

pajaro
August 30th, 2016, 10:13 AM

No idea but I can assure you that if such a test became common the answer would be yes. The fakes need to pass any visual tests a common buyer is likely to use and they have shown themselves adept at adjust to meet every new anti-counterfeit attempt. The fakes need to pass all visual tests but there is no need for them to worry about functionality, reliability of after sales service.

This is pretty troubling. If the fakes are meeting every test and passing themselves off as genuine, how can a buyer tell a genuine item? How could anyone sell a Montblanc if a potential buyer cannot tell if an item for sale is genuine? I am thinking there must be some features of a genuine 144 that can be used as markers of a genuine 144. Otherwise we must just throw up our hands in despair and acknowledge our investment in genuine Montblanc pens cannot be recouped.

One obvious answer is for the US government to stop the influx of counterfeit goods.

Sailor Kenshin
August 30th, 2016, 10:48 AM

Yes, that's what I meant.

jar
August 30th, 2016, 11:10 AM
This is pretty troubling. If the fakes are meeting every test and passing themselves off as genuine, how can a buyer tell a genuine item? How could anyone sell a Montblanc if a potential buyer cannot tell if an item for sale is genuine? I am thinking there must be some features of a genuine 144 that can be used as markers of a genuine 144. Otherwise we must just throw up our hands in despair and acknowledge our investment in genuine Montblanc pens cannot be recouped.

One obvious answer is for the US government to stop the influx of counterfeit goods.

It will only get more difficult and people will have to learn to buy the seller and not the product. As laser scanning and computer driven manufacturing as well as 3D printing continue getting less expensive the ability to create something that visually cannot be distinguished from the original will just get easier and cheaper. The differences will be in materials used as well as after sales service. Consumers will get what they want but will have to pay some premium to assure authentic products.