PDA

View Full Version : Hello from new member in Australia needing help with fountain pen

Escaliba
August 21st, 2016, 03:20 AM
I have found a fountain pen belonging to my deceased mother. The pen, a Sheaffer, must be at least 60 years old. I would like to use it myself but know nothing about fountain pens. I have gently tried to unscrew it with little luck. I have attached photos and hope someone may be able to advise me on how to open it for a new cartridge. Many thanks.

Brisboy
August 21st, 2016, 04:36 AM
G'day, looks like a touchdown filler from my limited knowledge. I have a snorkel which is a similar system. The plunger on the back will suck ink into an internal sac when the nib is dipped in an ink bottle. I sent my sheaffer to @HughC (I'm trying to do a user link but it doesn't seem to like me) with excellent results. I'd be happy to send you an ink sample or two if you pm me your address as well.

jar
August 21st, 2016, 06:38 AM
It is a "TM" (Thin Model) Touchdown filler. But there was a sac inside that is most likely destroyed by now. Even if the rubber sac is still there it should be replaced before you try using it. I can't tell for sure but if there is a hole at the end of the feed (black under nib) it may also be one of the "Tip-Dip" versions. What is unusual are the metal threads that were more common on the Triumph nibbed models.

It's a great pen but definitely needs servicing.

Wahl
August 21st, 2016, 10:30 AM
:welcome:

cajunphil
August 21st, 2016, 11:12 AM
Welcome. Enjoy your time here, many knowledgeable people to answer questions.

Anne
August 21st, 2016, 08:46 PM
Welcome - Nice heirloom you have there. I hope you do send it out to a reputable person for service. I think you will find that it is well worth it.

Frank
August 24th, 2016, 12:32 PM

VertOlive
August 24th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Welcome to you and your pen!

Hawk
August 25th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Welcome. A great place to learn; you already received some good help.

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 09:23 AM
It is a "TM" (Thin Model) Touchdown filler. But there was a sac inside that is most likely destroyed by now. Even if the rubber sac is still there it should be replaced before you try using it. I can't tell for sure but if there is a hole at the end of the feed (black under nib) it may also be one of the "Tip-Dip" versions. What is unusual are the metal threads that were more common on the Triumph nibbed models.

It's a great pen but definitely needs servicing.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to add to my extremely limited fountain pen knowledge.
Will definitely get it serviced.

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 09:24 AM

Thanks, Wahl, for the friendly welcome from Spain.

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Welcome. Enjoy your time here, many knowledgeable people to answer questions.

Nice to receive a welcome from South Louisiana, cajunphil.
I am getting some great assistance from knowledgeable and friendly people.

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Welcome - Nice heirloom you have there. I hope you do send it out to a reputable person for service. I think you will find that it is well worth it.

Appreciate the welcome, Anne.
Also appreciate your nice words about my pen.
Will definitely send it out to a good person for service: am searching for the right one now, with the help of fellow forum members. Would prefer someone in Australia if possible.

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Frank.
Love your quote:"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Welcome to you and your pen!

Appreciate the friendly welcome, VertOlive: many thanks, from me and my pen!

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Welcome. A great place to learn; you already received some good help.

Thanks, Hawk. Yes, I have been very lucky to find so many kind, helpful and knowledgeable people.
Will send pen out for service as soon as I am sure of where to send it.

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 09:45 AM
G'day, looks like a touchdown filler from my limited knowledge. I have a snorkel which is a similar system. The plunger on the back will suck ink into an internal sac when the nib is dipped in an ink bottle. I sent my sheaffer to @HughC (I'm trying to do a user link but it doesn't seem to like me) with excellent results. I'd be happy to send you an ink sample or two if you pm me your address as well.

Very many thanks, Brisboy, for all your help, both here and via pm.