PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Cambridge

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
February 4th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Ah, there you are!

I seem to have found the Fountain Pen Geeks forum. I thought it might be nice to introduce myself, so I hereby reprint, without permission (which, incidentally, is just too bad), an extract from the Annual Proceedings of the Serious Nibbage Society, volume 184, pages 19-134: Who is who in the world of fountain pens?

Professor Tarquin Danglebury, born within living memory in the small village of West-Nibshire in England, is full Professor and Chair of Penology at Cambridge University. According to legend, he obtained his first fountain pen on the day he was born, when he grabbed it from the shirt pocket of a gynaecologist. This pen was later identified to be a Parker 51.

After studying at Eton, at which he was well-known for winning ink-sac-squeezing contests, professor Danglebury pursued a successful academic career at Cambridge University. He defended a dissertation, advised by the eminent professor Herbert-Anton von Nibbius bis zum Blindekappe, cum laude, upon which he was immediately offered tenure in Cambridge. He holds no less than seven honourary doctorates, from the Universities of Tilburg (NL), Köln (DE), Madrid (ES), London (both UCL and LU, UK), Los Angeles (USA) and Washington, DC (USA).

Professor Danglebury has published more than 7,000 papers, books, and book chapters, and is a well-known expert on everything, but he specializes in fountain pens, ink, and related writing paraphernalia. He is well-respected by his students (mainly because he expells every student who doubts his judgement) and colleagues alike (because he fires those that disagree), and he is often referred to as a walking pencyclopedia.

In 1978, when professor Herbert-Anton von Nibbius bis zum Blindekappe was cremated and his ashes were stored in an empty bottle of Parker Penman Emerald, professor Danglebury took over the position of Chair of the Department of Penology at Cambridge University. He performs his scholarly activities from a small room in the western-most towerette of the university building in Cambridge, surrounded by books, fountain pens, and desillusioned students. Every day at noon, he takes his pet lobster, Lord Windermere, for a short walk across the University grounds, be it sunny or rainy - the professor doesn't mind the weather, due to his incessant wearing of a deerstalker cap.

Strong-willed and strong-minded, professor Danglebury has little patience and a pronounced opinion, that has led him to participate in heated international debates and disputes on the use of fountain pens, that often end with his opponents tearing off their own heads in despair.

Professor Tarquin Danglebury denies the existence of France.

menunes
February 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Welcome Dear Professor!

KrazyIvan
February 4th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side Professor.

fountainpenkid
February 4th, 2013, 04:00 PM
WELCOME!!!!!!! OMG this board is gonna get really funny now!

eriquito
February 4th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Oh no. No, no, no. Tarquin's in the house?

There goes the neighborhood.

=) Eric

Bogon07
February 4th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Prof.dr. Tarquin Danglebury, Ph.D., Sci.D., FRSP, Chair of Penology at Cambridge University hello and welcome to the FPG forum.

It is an honour to have such a famed niberatti here.

Cambridge and the Darkside .... should be interesting.

Professor Herbert-Anton von Nibbius bis zum Blindekappe was cremated and his ashes were stored in an empty bottle of Parker Penman Emerald
Have you tried adding water to see how he writes ?

Tracy Lee
February 4th, 2013, 05:02 PM
LOL, that is a different take on writing with someone. I have no idea what to say to that intro except that as long as you believe in the existence of Italy, we will be okay. Otherwise, you scare the crap out of me. :p:):cool:

caribbean_skye
February 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Welcome welcome

writingrav
February 5th, 2013, 04:36 AM
It is indeed an honor to share the same forum with such an eminent personage. Welcome to Geekland, Tarq.

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
February 6th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Have you tried adding water to see how he writes ?

Yes, I have. As expected, he hardly wrote. He'd always been a singularly dry fellow, so no one was surprised.

auto winder
February 6th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Welcome, Professor! :welcome:

Bogon07
February 6th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Yes, I have. As expected, he hardly wrote. He'd always been a singularly dry fellow, so no one was surprised.

What a pity a "Herbert-Anton von Nibbius bis zum Blindekappe" Limited Edition Ink would have been much sort after by collectors.
I image he could have tended towards sepia tones.

Liv
February 6th, 2013, 03:47 PM

Pardon ? Excusez-moi ? QUE DITES-VOUS ?

(Tearing my own head off in despair)

Toffer
February 6th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Welcome professor! :)

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
February 7th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Pardon ? Excusez-moi ? QUE DITES-VOUS ?

(Tearing my own head off in despair)

I have never found any scientific evidence confirming the existence of France, you see. Can you present some, by any chance?

writingrav
February 7th, 2013, 04:55 AM
I have never found any scientific evidence confirming the existence of France, you see. Can you present some, by any chance?

How about French Fries?

Maja
February 8th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Well, I am honoured to be in the presence of such a distinguished pen scholar! Thank you for introducing yourself, Professor Danglebury; I am a big fan of your pen-related videos, and I hope you continue to do more :)

Liv
February 8th, 2013, 06:36 AM

www.jstor.org/stable/399766
Here is a scientific paper from a scientific review that focuses on France. The article both confirms the existence of France and, as a bonus, proves its superiority over the United States of America when it comes to fountain pens, firstly by stating that Americans don't use fountain pens as much, secondly by putting forward absurdities such as "roller ball pens that write as smoothly as many fountain pens".

Quod erat demonstrandum :D

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
February 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I agree that this is fairly compelling evidence, although I'm not sure about the oddly narrative methodology. I hereby tentatively accept the existence of France. However, I am still not sure about the existence of Paris.

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
February 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM
How about French Fries?

Well, that's like saying an oblique nib proves the existence of Obliquestan. No, I won't accept that as evidence.

Carole
February 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I agree that this is fairly compelling evidence, although I'm not sure about the oddly narrative methodology. I hereby tentatively accept the existence of France. However, I am still not sure about the existence of Paris.

My Dear Professor,

May I call to your attention the words of your old friend, Mr. Humphrey Bogart? 1664 "We'll always have Parrots. Er, Paris. We'll always have Paris! "

You and Bogie disagreed on many things--surely you remember 'The Great Waterman Embroilment' at the Beverly Hills Hotel? The ink stains from the duel are still on the walls. -- but I hope all that can be put aside now.

Collegially yours,
Professor S. Hawking

(From C-- NB: I'm just passing this along as requested)

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
February 10th, 2013, 04:22 AM
You and Bogie disagreed on many things--surely you remember 'The Great Waterman Embroilment' at the Beverly Hills Hotel? The ink stains from the duel are still on the walls. -- but I hope all that can be put aside now.

Ah yes, I do remember. That was the last time he said a rollerball is as good as a fountain pen, though.

Lane
February 10th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I'm late to this thread, but my sentiment is no less sincere. Welcome to you and your pet lobster!

ArtJourney
February 10th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Dear Prof. Danglebury...

I dispute your qualifications as an expert on pens and nibbage as, by your own definition (detailed in your signature) you state you are "Chair of Penology at Cambridge University" ... Penology is the branch of science concerned with the punishment of crime - it is totally unrelated to pens, apart perhaps from those type of pens that are used to hold criminals.

You sir... are a fraud!

Liv
February 11th, 2013, 05:28 PM
So. Apparently my demonstration eez inadmissible beecuz I'm French and Eric says zat doesn't count (see FPtv #59). Help me out here people!
Otherwise, as a last resort, I might just fly over to Cambridge and chop some heads off like it's 1789. Ha!
:butcher:

Carole
February 11th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Help me out here people!
... chop some heads off like it's 1789. Ha!
:butcher:

LOL! 1789 was a pretty good year!

Mi dispiace, Liv, I tried with 'Casablanca'. ( I mean, they sing La Marseillaise and everything. ) I'm not sure if that qualified either, though.
We'll have to hope for more reinforcements. Aux stylos, citoyens!

caribbean_skye
February 12th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Sorry Liv, I was going to offer to scan the immigration stamp that is in my passport (from 89) but it's so faint you can barely make it out. 1989 not 1789, that is...

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
February 14th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I dispute your qualifications as an expert on pens and nibbage as, by your own definition (detailed in your signature) you state you are "Chair of Penology at Cambridge University" ... Penology is the branch of science concerned with the punishment of crime - it is totally unrelated to pens, apart perhaps from those type of pens that are used to hold criminals.

You sir... are a fraud!

You have made excellent use of logic!

Unfortunately, you are wrong. You see, your confusion is natural: the science of poenology (from latin poena, i.e., punishment) does concern itself with the punishment of crime. I have often told my colleagues to use the proper spelling when naming their science (or attempt at science, anyway). Obviously, they do not listen to me, and have now contaminated the name of my science (a proper scientific discipline, I might add). So, let me settle this issue here, once and for all:

Penology: the scientific study of fountain pens, ink, and related writing paraphernalia.
Poenology: the "scientific" study of crime and related punishments.

You see?

southpaw52
February 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Great posting too.

FP_GaF
February 15th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I am sorry to say that both the Professor and Eric are correct in disputing the existence of French fries as a prove for the existence of France, most importantly because French fries do actually originate from Belgium. :D

On the other hand, if France does not exist where did I spend the three years of my life when they gave me a job in Paris which allegedly is the capital of a country by the name of France??? :confused:

FP_GaF
February 15th, 2013, 10:58 PM
You have made excellent use of logic!

Unfortunately, you are wrong. You see, your confusion is natural: the science of poenology (from latin poena, i.e., punishment) does concern itself with the punishment of crime. I have often told my colleagues to use the proper spelling when naming their science (or attempt at science, anyway). Obviously, they do not listen to me, and have now contaminated the name of my science (a proper scientific discipline, I might add). So, let me settle this issue here, once and for all:

Penology: the scientific study of fountain pens, ink, and related writing paraphernalia.
Poenology: the "scientific" study of crime and related punishments.

You see?

hear hear!

TheRoXFiles
February 16th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Wow...I wouldn't have expected to see Prof. Danglebury here. I'm also surprised that he's got a bit of a dark streak. He's always seemed nice enough at YouTube...maybe a little odd around the edges, but nice enough, otherwise. And--maybe it's because I've been killing time at Twitter as my alter-ego, @TheRoXFiles, but gee...he's more like @SeverusSSnape than I would've thought. Huh. O.o

caribbean_skye
February 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM
On the other hand, if France does not exist where did I spend the three years of my life when they gave me a job in Paris which allegedly is the capital of a country by the name of France??? :confused:

Abducted by aliens and it was some sort of virtual world you were living in while they collected all sorts of data from you? :D

writingrav
February 17th, 2013, 05:19 AM
I am sorry to say that both the Professor and Eric are correct in disputing the existence of French fries as a prove for the existence of France, most importantly because French fries do actually originate from Belgium. :D

:

Just because Belgium doesn't think its France doesn't make it so.

manoeuver
February 17th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Just because Belgium doesn't think its France doesn't make it so.HA!

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
February 19th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Wow...I wouldn't have expected to see Prof. Danglebury here. I'm also surprised that he's got a bit of a dark streak.

I do have a dark streak! You see, one day I grabbed a small log and pulled it out of my office fireplace with a pair of tongs, because it didn't really burn properly and Lord Windermere felt unnaturally cold. Unfortunately, it hit the Persian carpet and left an annoying charred streak, which my staff has been unable to clean. Question is: how do you know about this? I don't recall you having studied with me!

TheRoXFiles
February 19th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I do have a dark streak! You see, one day I grabbed a small log and pulled it out of my office fireplace with a pair of tongs, because it didn't really burn properly and Lord Windermere felt unnaturally cold. Unfortunately, it hit the Persian carpet and left an annoying charred streak, which my staff has been unable to clean. Question is: how do you know about this? I don't recall you having studied with me!

*mysterious little smile*

So that dark streak's been there all this time? And on *that* Persian carpet, too. That's a real shame. You know, if you want to get rid of that dark streak, all you need is a bit of Mrs. Skower's All-Purpose Mess Remover. It cleans anything like magic. I'll have to see if I can pull some strings and send you some. It's just, uh...well, you're not allergic to owls, are you? Thing is, the cheapest shipping option for me is via owl. UPS and FedEx gets pretty darn expensive out here, in the part of Scotland where I'm currently working.

Greg Minuskin
February 21st, 2013, 10:06 PM
Welcome! You will find the folks here at the FP Geeks really a great place to be, and if you need any nib work, I would love to hear from you!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

Scrawler
March 6th, 2013, 06:08 AM
www.jstor.org/stable/399766
Here is a scientific paper from a scientific review that focuses on France. The article both confirms the existence of France and, as a bonus, proves its superiority over the United States of America when it comes to fountain pens, firstly by stating that Americans don't use fountain pens as much, secondly by putting forward absurdities such as "roller ball pens that write as smoothly as many fountain pens".

Quod erat demonstrandum :D

Pish Posh! People can write any lies they like. That which is written is only proof of writing.

TheRoXFiles
March 6th, 2013, 09:08 PM
...y'know, Prof. Danglebury never got back to me re: should I owl him some Mrs. Skower's All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover? And gee...I wouldn't have had to go through all the mysteriousness in my last post if he just told me he wasn't a Muggle after all. :P

ThriveToScribe
March 31st, 2013, 10:40 PM
My goodness, I'm almost terrified to respond to such eminence and eccentricity! The deerstalker cap seems little protection against the weather, unless you're only wanting to protect your head...ahem, well maybe that gigantic brain needs to be kept from risk, especially in that lovely English weather.
I wonder if France denies the existence of Prof. Tarquin Danglebury? In any case, it's nice to meet you. Frightfully nice.

A Newbie, too, but with astonishingly less credentials.

Ah, there you are!

I seem to have found the Fountain Pen Geeks forum. I thought it might be nice to introduce myself, so I hereby reprint, without permission (which, incidentally, is just too bad), an extract from the Annual Proceedings of the Serious Nibbage Society, volume 184, pages 19-134: Who is who in the world of fountain pens?

Professor Tarquin Danglebury, born within living memory in the small village of West-Nibshire in England, is full Professor and Chair of Penology at Cambridge University. According to legend, he obtained his first fountain pen on the day he was born, when he grabbed it from the shirt pocket of a gynaecologist. This pen was later identified to be a Parker 51.

After studying at Eton, at which he was well-known for winning ink-sac-squeezing contests, professor Danglebury pursued a successful academic career at Cambridge University. He defended a dissertation, advised by the eminent professor Herbert-Anton von Nibbius bis zum Blindekappe, cum laude, upon which he was immediately offered tenure in Cambridge. He holds no less than seven honourary doctorates, from the Universities of Tilburg (NL), Köln (DE), Madrid (ES), London (both UCL and LU, UK), Los Angeles (USA) and Washington, DC (USA).

Professor Danglebury has published more than 7,000 papers, books, and book chapters, and is a well-known expert on everything, but he specializes in fountain pens, ink, and related writing paraphernalia. He is well-respected by his students (mainly because he expells every student who doubts his judgement) and colleagues alike (because he fires those that disagree), and he is often referred to as a walking pencyclopedia.

In 1978, when professor Herbert-Anton von Nibbius bis zum Blindekappe was cremated and his ashes were stored in an empty bottle of Parker Penman Emerald, professor Danglebury took over the position of Chair of the Department of Penology at Cambridge University. He performs his scholarly activities from a small room in the western-most towerette of the university building in Cambridge, surrounded by books, fountain pens, and desillusioned students. Every day at noon, he takes his pet lobster, Lord Windermere, for a short walk across the University grounds, be it sunny or rainy - the professor doesn't mind the weather, due to his incessant wearing of a deerstalker cap.

Strong-willed and strong-minded, professor Danglebury has little patience and a pronounced opinion, that has led him to participate in heated international debates and disputes on the use of fountain pens, that often end with his opponents tearing off their own heads in despair.

Barbara
April 1st, 2013, 06:35 AM
Welcome Professor! A dark streak and a rebel, reprinting without permission "(which, incidentally, is just too bad), an extract from the Annual Proceedings of the Serious Nibbage Society".

Pelikan-Vera
April 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
Press release from Cambridge University press April 1st 2013:
Today in a freak accident Lord Windemere has been stabbed by Prof. Tarquin Dangleberry with his new Visconti Typhoon. Prof. Tarquin Dangleberry was initially imprisoned for causing serious bodily harm to Lord Windemere but has been released on bail. Lord Windemere is currently undergoing emergency surgery to remove the Salix ink from his left eye. The attending physician has released a press statement that Lord Windemere is expected to recover fully.

TheRoXFiles
April 1st, 2013, 11:16 AM
Hmm...the RP'er in me would take offense at the godmoding powerplaying in that last post.... :S

Prof. Danglebury never did get back to me re: dark streak remover. Then again, I don't think @HippieAlbus would want him back, given what happened the last time he showed up. x_x

Tracy Lee
April 1st, 2013, 01:11 PM
Prof Danglebury should see a death penalty for using a VISCONTI for anything other than eloquent prose! Disgraceful. :eek:;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Scrawler
April 1st, 2013, 01:28 PM
Prof Danglebury should see a death penalty for using a VISCONTI for anything other than eloquent prose! Disgraceful. :eek:;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Death Penalty? That is a bit harsh, especially as the offence was committed in Britain, where murder only gets 4 years with good behaviour. I would have thought 200 hours of community service teaching chavs to write properly would have been quite sufficient.

Pelikan-Vera
April 2nd, 2013, 01:08 AM
Interview with Lord Windemere by Cambridge Evening news:
Lord Windemere can you tell us how you are?
Yes yes you see I will be fine and the doctors are confident no permanent damage has been done.
Lord Windemere can you provide us with an update at what happened yesterday?
Yes, you see the good professor was playing with his new Visconti Typhoon and tried to remove thee last droplet of Salix ink from the antique inkwell that Eriquito gifted to him on his birthday. The Visconti Typhoon backfired and a whole load of ink ended up in me left eye. It was a hell of a mess.
Lord Windemere do you intend to file charges against Prof. Tarquin Dangleberry for causing grievous bodily harm?
Don't be silly my dear fellow of course not. It was all a freak accident and no intention involved. I am quite upset about the talk about the death penalty being imposed for this misdemeanour. I’ll suggest that you go to see Prof. Tarquin Dangleberry and ask his opinion.

TheRoXFiles
April 2nd, 2013, 02:05 AM
Hmmmm....

I have to say, the powerplaying going on here is bothering me. Stuff like the last post is what gets people kicked out of roleplaying games--because nobody likes it when other people come along, hijack other people's characters and start writing as them, which is what powerplaying is. It's rude and disrespectful to the actual owner of the character(s) they play.

I realize Prof. Danglebury's alter-ego is a nice guy and all, but he never gave anyone else here permission to write as him or Lord Winderemere. These two characters belong to him, not us--and clearly, both characters are very special to him, given all the times he's shown up on YouTube as well as here. Not a single one of us are entitled to take his characters from him and start writing as either of them without permission. Just because he hasn't spoken up here, it doesn't automatically mean he approves of it. Either he's busy or he just plain doesn't know--but in either case, it doesn't mean he's okay with this, either.

Pelikan-Vera
April 2nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Hmmmm....

I have to say, the powerplaying going on here is bothering me. Stuff like the last post is what gets people kicked out of roleplaying games--because nobody likes it when other people come along, hijack other people's characters and start writing as them, which is what powerplaying is. It's rude and disrespectful to the actual owner of the character(s) they play.

I realize Prof. Danglebury's alter-ego is a nice guy and all, but he never gave anyone else here permission to write as him or Lord Winderemere. These two characters belong to him, not us--and clearly, both characters are very special to him, given all the times he's shown up on YouTube as well as here. Not a single one of us are entitled to take his characters from him and start writing as either of them without permission. Just because he hasn't spoken up here, it doesn't automatically mean he approves of it. Either he's busy or he just plain doesn't know--but in either case, it doesn't mean he's okay with this, either.

Oh it is not meant like that....just a little April fools joke! Sorry to have trodden on somebodies toes.....

Greg Minuskin
April 2nd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Welcome! The guys here are real fun, and I hope I can assist you sometime soon with any nib retip or nib repair! I am at your service!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

Bogon07
April 2nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Mr Minuskin your avatar looks like he is relaxing after scoffing a big bowl of Lord Windemere Seafood Bisque !

Ravenlunatic
April 4th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Most High Professor, a friend of mine, Sheridan Bucket, once had a flatmate at Eton named Tarquin. Might you be he?

Also, in regards to the gentleman you had cremated, I trust you had the decency to wait until he had passed.

Michael, from the fountain pen wilderness of Kentucky.