PDA

View Full Version : All-Star vs Safari (I did a search first, I really did)

Behike54
August 27th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Two things inspired me to consider one of these two pens.

1) Mass Drop has Al-Star pens for $29.45 SHIPPED

2) I need a quick opening and durable pen for work and I am on the move a lot. It's fast paced and I am often walking from one unit to another, but I feel like all my other pens are too expensive and/or I don't want them to put them through that hustle and bustle. (I have a TWSBI for longer writing tasks/reports/progress notes, etc) I need a little sturdy workhorse when I am on the move.

Thanks!

Lady Onogaro
August 27th, 2016, 02:15 PM
My recommendation would be for the Safari (plastic) rather than the Al-Star unless you don't care about the finish getting dinged up on the Al-Star. I have an ocean blue Al-Star with scrapes/scratches just using it around the house at my desk. The Charcoal Black is a nice attractive pen.

WallyRussell
August 27th, 2016, 03:41 PM
It depends completely on which finish you prefer. The pens are nearly identical in every other aspect, though the Safari is a bit lighter. As the Lady above says, though, the Al-Star does show every scratch and scrape.

VertOlive
August 27th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Between the two, I'd choose the Safari. Lighter and won't show the wear so much. That said, if there's a deal on the AlStar, go for it if you find it more pleasing to you. I think Pen Chalet usually has a sale price on Safaris.

Behike54
August 27th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Thank you all for sharing your experience and expertise. Much appreciated.

Denizzz
August 28th, 2016, 02:35 PM
I actually prefer the alstar, they are a bit more bigger and wider. i also like the transparent grip section, so if you have several Al-star pens you di not have to change the nibs, you just switch the barrels and caps. and thats it. but of course the finish can be easily scratched, but from another point of view it is nice to see how the pen changes in time while you use it. The safaries are also great. By the way you also can remore the clip is you do not want it, well, the pen will look strange, but still it is possible ... search the youtube.

pajaro
August 28th, 2016, 07:42 PM
The Safaris don't scuff up as obviously, and they have a collector following.

Behike54
September 5th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I actually prefer the alstar, they are a bit more bigger and wider. i also like the transparent grip section, so if you have several Al-star pens you do not have to change the nibs, you just switch the barrels and caps. and thats it.

Now that is great news!Thanks so much!