PDA

View Full Version : Outbox mail service?

KrazyIvan
February 5th, 2013, 08:58 PM
With InCoWriMo upon us I ran into this service that is supposed to evolve the mailbox as we know it. Interesting concept but I don't like the idea of someone scanning my mail and putting it online for me. Security risks are high enough. I mean, credit card statements? Really? What do you think?

https://www.outboxmail.com/

Tracy Lee
February 6th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Ick, don't care for that at all for the reasons you mention, but also the lack of tactile interaction even if it's junk mail. It would turn the personal things into something very impersonal. For those without our issues, it could be a super useful idea. :p

KrazyIvan
February 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM
It does say you can request the original mail be delivered to you if you want. I don't like the method of retrieval. It looks like they send someone to your mail box to pick up your mail then it gets scanned. You have 60 days to request the mail you want or it gets shredded.

peterpen53
February 6th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I agree with your security and privacy concerns but would credit card or bank statements really be a problem here? If you're into this kind of thing you probably have those delivered in some digital fashion already.

KrazyIvan
February 6th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I agree with your security and privacy concerns but would credit card or bank statements really be a problem here? If you're into this kind of thing you probably have those delivered in some digital fashion already.

That is probably true for some.

Bogon07
February 6th, 2013, 02:48 PM
They also get your parcels and re-deliver them too. So how would that work for things that need to be signed for ?
The company looks to have ten or so people, I wonder if they all sit around laughing as some of the letters they've scanned.

caribbean_skye
February 7th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Personally I prefer opening and reading my own mail. Feeling the paper and tilting the paper to see if I can see anything interesting in the inks if I move the paper this way and that way. Having someone scan it and put it online or emailing it to me is no different than having the author handwrite a note, scan it and send it to me themselves. Unfortunately that doesn't have the same enjoyment for me. I would rather sit down and handwrite letters than type out emails (and I type at over 100wpm) which is why essay type emails to me tend to be unanswered for long periods of time.

inky
February 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I can't say I'd be too comfortable with a service like this, though I suppose it would fix the issue of my mail not getting delivered because of a neighbor parking in front of my mailbox.

woosang
April 8th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Having someone scan it and put it online or emailing it to me is no different than having the author handwrite a note, scan it and send it to me themselves. be unanswered for long periods of time.

Hear hear!!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

manoeuver
April 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM
no thanks. trying to concoct a situation in my mind where I'd find that kind of thing useful. Maybe if I was spending a lot of time travelling.

Barbara
April 8th, 2013, 06:20 AM
This kind of service just flies in the face of mail being private and being opened only by the addressee. Right now mail is protected under law. Seems to me this service would negate any kind of legal protection one would have. We've given away enough of our privacy. Why go this far? Hasn't big brother seen enough??