PDA

View Full Version : Inherited Sheaffer

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 10:10 AM
I am a new member who has inherited a Sheaffer Fountain Pen. It is at least 60 years old and possibly English. I have attached photographs. As a total novice where fountain pens are concerned, I would appreciate any information about this pen. Thanks to the advice of forum members I will be sending the pen for servicing shortly. All input much appreciated.

Chrissy
August 29th, 2016, 12:24 PM
It looks like a Sheaffer Touchdown of some type.

titrisol
August 29th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Awesome pen!
Those Sheaffers were very good, as long as the nib is well alinged it should give you many years of good service
I think it is a snorkel - tochdown like: http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferSnorkel.htm

Look here: http://www.sheafferpenmuseum.org/gallery.html for general info

Chrissy
August 29th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I can't see the snorkel, but maybe it has broken?

HughC
August 29th, 2016, 03:26 PM
The pen is a snorkel. It needs a professional service to return it to working order and may need some parts.

Regards
Hugh

HughC
August 29th, 2016, 03:37 PM

There are "clues" it's a snorkel, the easiest is that there are no threads on the filler knob to screw into the barrel. Less obvious is the plain plastic on the nib end of the section which means a screw out nib found on snorkels, the colour and lastly the Sheaffer on the clip which wasn't on the earlier touchdowns. As you note there is clearly a problem somewhere inside !!

Regards
Hugh

stub
August 29th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Sheaffer Admiral Snorkel that needs some love and a filler tube. heh.

Jon Szanto
August 29th, 2016, 11:40 PM
And here I sit, only 3 days out from my Touchdown / Snorkel repair class with Sherrell Tyree. It was really fun, but when we got to the snork, man, I sure as hell wished I had taken this up when I was younger and my eyes were Really Good! :)

Escaliba
August 30th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Awesome pen!
Those Sheaffers were very good, as long as the nib is well alinged it should give you many years of good service
I think it is a snorkel - tochdown like: http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferSnorkel.htm

Look here: http://www.sheafferpenmuseum.org/gallery.html for general info

Much appreciate those links: the information was exactly what I have been looking for. Very many thanks.:wave:

Escaliba
August 30th, 2016, 12:07 AM

There are "clues" it's a snorkel, the easiest is that there are no threads on the filler knob to screw into the barrel. Less obvious is the plain plastic on the nib end of the section which means a screw out nib found on snorkels, the colour and lastly the Sheaffer on the clip which wasn't on the earlier touchdowns. As you note there is clearly a problem somewhere inside !!

Regards
Hugh

Many thanks, HughC, for all your input. Have contacted you via pm.

tamiya
August 31st, 2016, 03:41 AM
I am a new member who has inherited a Sheaffer Fountain Pen. It is at least 60 years old and possibly English. I have attached photographs. As a total novice where fountain pens are concerned, I would appreciate any information about this pen.

I too am custodian of mum's school pens, amongst them several Sheaffers including Snorkel.

She & her sister studied in the UK in the late 1950s... most of the Sheaffers are USA made but interestingly there's at least one Made in Australia example.

She has afaik never been into Australia during Snorkel era & definitely wouldn't have bought an FP in Oz. :)

HughC
September 1st, 2016, 09:34 PM
I am a new member who has inherited a Sheaffer Fountain Pen. It is at least 60 years old and possibly English. I have attached photographs. As a total novice where fountain pens are concerned, I would appreciate any information about this pen.

I too am custodian of mum's school pens, amongst them several Sheaffers including Snorkel.

She & her sister studied in the UK in the late 1950s... most of the Sheaffers are USA made but interestingly there's at least one Made in Australia example.

She has afaik never been into Australia during Snorkel era & definitely wouldn't have bought an FP in Oz. :)

The UK was the major market for Sheaffer Aust. , in fact Australian Sheaffers are far easier to find in the UK than Australia !!