PDA

View Full Version : 60 year old Scheaffer

Escaliba
August 29th, 2016, 11:55 PM
This is my 60 year old Sheaffer, which, thanks to this forum, I am learning more about every day.
It probably came to Australia in the late 1950s with my now deceased mother.
My mother used this pen throughout my childhood until it needed servicing; unfortunately this was not possible in a remote bush settlement at that time.
I found the pen, carefully laid away, after Mother died. Once I have it serviced, I hope to use it myself.
I am receiving a great deal of help from people on this forum and have learned so much in the past week.

Jon Szanto
August 30th, 2016, 12:03 AM
Please note that HughC (Hugh Cordingley), who has already given you some info in the other thread, is a marvelous resource for you in two ways: he is very, very expert in Sheaffers, one of the best I know, and he lives in AU! I would send him a private message, if I were you, regarding getting your pen properly restored. He will be invaluable to you, and is a really great person, too!

Escaliba
August 30th, 2016, 12:34 AM
Please note that HughC (Hugh Cordingley), who has already given you some info in the other thread, is a marvelous resource for you in two ways: he is very, very expert in Sheaffers, one of the best I know, and he lives in AU! I would send him a private message, if I were you, regarding getting your pen properly restored. He will be invaluable to you, and is a really great person, too!

Thanks, Jon, that is much appreciated. I have actually already sent him a private message a short time ago. You are now the second person to warmly recommend HughC, which is great.
Being so new to this, I am just spreading my wings a bit as I know not all people will follow all threads/topics etc.

Video11
August 30th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I believe that Sheaffer made or assembled pens in Australia at one time. I've seen Sheaffer pens with a "Made In Aust." imprinted on the barrel. Just a piece of Australian pen trivia for you.

Cheers,
Rick

Escaliba
August 30th, 2016, 11:13 PM
I believe that Sheaffer made or assembled pens in Australia at one time. I've seen Sheaffer pens with a "Made In Aust." imprinted on the barrel. Just a piece of Australian pen trivia for you.

Cheers,
Rick

After reading the above, I promptly checked over my pen with magnifying glass and light: you are quite right. In the tiniest engraving possible, the words Sheaffers Made in Australia can just be read. This helps me date the pen because my mother arrived in Australia in 1956. Many thanks, Rick.

Jon Szanto
August 30th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Careful with your typing (only because it may hinder web searches): there is no "c" in "Sheaffer(s)".

Video11
August 31st, 2016, 04:14 PM
After reading the above, I promptly checked over my pen with magnifying glass and light: you are quite right. In the tiniest engraving possible, the words Scheaffers Made in Australia can just be read. This helps me date the pen because my mother arrived in Australia in 1956. Many thanks, Rick.

That's wonderful. I've a bit of an affinity for pens Made in Canada, at one time Sheaffer, Parker, Waterman and Esterbrook all made pens here.

Escaliba
August 31st, 2016, 08:50 PM
Careful with your typing (only because it may hinder web searches): there is no "c" in "Sheaffer(s)".

Thanks for that: actually, it wasn't a typo but me getting a trifle confused with different spellings....glad to get it sorted out.