PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Kansas City, USA

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Hi everyone (anyone?)

I guess I am the 'newbie' here. New to FP Geeks, but not to fountain pens.

I am a Catholic priest -- an Augustinian Friar and a professor at a local College in Kansas City. (Friends call me the 'mad monk'). I have a Passion for writing, most particularly with Fountain pens. Been "addicted" to fountain pens most of my life. Aside from being taught by nuns in the "good old days" to write with Fountain pens, my real love for fountain pens stems from my study days in Rome. There one of our venerable professors once told us that "an educated man would never sign a document in anything other than real ink, and with a real pen". That admonition started a wild love affair with fountain pens in me. Twenty years later I have about 300 of them.... and they bring a lot of relaxation and fun, and downright stimulate creativity. Now-a-days I try to instill in my students a love for fountain pens.

magnesium68
February 6th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Welcome,

May i ask you whats your favorite script and pen?

KrazyIvan
February 6th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Somehow, saying "Welcome to the Dark Side" to a priest does not seem appropriate. :D

Welcome to the board. :)

writingrav
February 6th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Somehow, saying "Welcome to the Dark Side" to a priest does not seem appropriate. :D

Welcome to the board. :)

How about welcome from a Rabbi. Welcome

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

caribbean_skye
February 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Welcome welcome.

Of your 300 pens, which would you say is/are your favourite?

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Chancery cursive for personal note writing, but always delighted in gothic lettering.

To many favorite pens to mention...... but right now I have inked up:
(1) Visconti Wall Street
(2) Krone Oddessey
(3) Montegrappa Symphony

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Shalom, Rabbi, and thank you for the welcome.

My friends at the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC and at Art Brown International in NYC (both Jewish owned), jokingly refer to me as--- "A liberal Rabbi from an obscure Jewish cult". heheh. Thanks again for the welcome.

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I totally love my Visconti's (I have five of them).

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Love it!!!! Thanks KrazyIvan

Bogon07
February 6th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Augustinian, Hi and welcome to the FPG forum.
300 fountain pens ! That is impressive. Are they all thrown together in a battered suitcase ? :)
What is your pen to ink ratio ?

(1) Visconti Wall Street - which colour/s do you have and what one do you like best ?

fountainpenkid
February 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Welcome!

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 03:48 PM
My Wall street is green. As far as pen storage goes... I built a few cases, received a few cases as gifts, reworked an old wooden tool box... and yes, I have some in a suitcase. hehehehe

I always try to keep five inked at any one time (weird I know). I have a few favorites that seem to be inked all the time. Others rarely see the inside of the ink bottle. I love Visconti and am generally pleased with all of them, but the Wall street has not bee UN-inked since I bought it in 2009. (I also have the Fountain Pen Hospital 65th anniversary Ragtime which I have yet to ink up.... maybe for Easter).

I love my Montegrappa. Also have an original Parker 51 that gets a lot of use.... Come to think of it, I tend to ink up different pens depending the the various Liturgical (Church) seasons of the calendar. Occupational hazard???? hehehe

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Welcome!

Thanks. Great to be with like minded creative / excellent / world changing folks. :-)

Bogon07
February 6th, 2013, 08:30 PM
My Wall street is green.

Nice. Sigh.

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Nice. Sigh.
Why the "sigh"?

Augustinian
February 6th, 2013, 08:48 PM
How about welcome from a Rabbi. Welcome

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Shalom, Rabbi, and thank you for the welcome.

My friends at the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC and at Art Brown International in NYC (both Jewish owned), jokingly refer to me as--- "A liberal Rabbi from an obscure Jewish cult". heheh. Thanks again for the welcome.

Tracy Lee
February 7th, 2013, 04:43 AM
My Wall street is green. As far as pen storage goes... I built a few cases, received a few cases as gifts, reworked an old wooden tool box... and yes, I have some in a suitcase. hehehehe

I always try to keep five inked at any one time (weird I know). I have a few favorites that seem to be inked all the time. Others rarely see the inside of the ink bottle. I love Visconti and am generally pleased with all of them, but the Wall street has not bee UN-inked since I bought it in 2009. (I also have the Fountain Pen Hospital 65th anniversary Ragtime which I have yet to ink up.... maybe for Easter).

I love my Montegrappa. Also have an original Parker 51 that gets a lot of use.... Come to think of it, I tend to ink up different pens depending the the various Liturgical (Church) seasons of the calendar. Occupational hazard???? hehehe

As a fellow Visconti lover, I can appreciate your choices! :-) I keep 11 Visconti inked every day, and you will love your FPH 65th Anniversary Ragtime. I carry mine as one of the 11 inked and have since I bought it. Still, my Homo Sapiens bronze age is the beloved of the bunch.

Augustinian
February 7th, 2013, 07:12 AM
As a fellow Visconti lover, I can appreciate your choices! :-) I keep 11 Visconti inked every day, and you will love your FPH 65th Anniversary Ragtime. I carry mine as one of the 11 inked and have since I bought it. Still, my Homo Sapiens bronze age is the beloved of the bunch.
I agree that Visconti is TOP. Of them all though, I totally love my Wall Street.

auto winder
February 10th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Welcome :)

Bogon07
February 17th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Why the "sigh"?

I did have my eye on a blue one from an eBay seller but Mrs Bogon deemed it too expensive a pen at the time.
After that there was a green one as my next choice followed by the red and then silver or grey.

Do you use any drop capitals in your documents ?

Augustinian
February 18th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I did have my eye on a blue one from an eBay seller but Mrs Bogon deemed it too expensive a pen at the time.
After that there was a green one as my next choice followed by the red and then silver or grey.

Do you use any drop capitals in your documents ?

Fortunately(?) for me.... there is no "Mrs. Augustinian". hehehe. I do occasionally use Drop Caps, if thenature of the text calls for me.

Greg Minuskin
February 21st, 2013, 10:08 PM
Welcome! You will find the folks here at the FP Geeks really a great place to be, and if you need any nib work, I would love to hear from you!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

southpaw52
February 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Hello and welcome FPGeeks, glad you are here.