PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a new member in the NYC area :-)

Jonathan
February 6th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Hi folks,

I'm an FP user from way back; the first FP I bought was a Sheaffer cartridge pen, advertised in those days as the "People's Pen." Actually, my mom bought it for me, same day she got me my Star Trek lunchbox. (I'm too vain to name the year, but I'll date myself pretty definitively when I tell you that it was a metal lunchbox celebrating the real Star Trek, with Kirk and Spock on the thermos bottle and Spock's ears painted round to make him look a little less like Pan or Satan :-)

I've preferred FPs ever since I was old enough to write, but only realized I'd become a "collector" when I walked out of the Big Apple Pen Show a decade or so ago with a fistful of pens snorkels and skylines.

I tend to pop in and out of the hobby as other interests wax and wane....but have been on a binge the past few months, catching up on forae and podcasts and buying way more pens than I should.

I've become more interested in repair during this dip into the ocean of pendom, and have been buying/fixing bargain lots of junk pens from the big moneysink (er, auction) site. I collect both modern and vintage, but my interests are definitely skewing toward the hard-rubber-and-celluloid era. Loving safety pens lately, and did my first seal replacement and helix repair recently. Also seem to have picked up an interest in desk sets and dip pens, which keep crowding their way onto shelves and desktops throughout the house....

Looking forward to exploring the forum.....cya!

Jonathan

KrazyIvan
February 6th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Welcome and you're well on your way to the Dark Side.

earthdawn
February 6th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Great to have you here.

LOTS of info here on vintage repair and if you don't find it just ask. We have quite a few people who love to work on vintage pens and bring thm back to there proper order.

caribbean_skye
February 7th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Welcome welcome.

Jonathan
February 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome, folks :-)

fountainpenkid
February 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Welcome!

Bogon07
February 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Hi Jonathan and welcome to the FPG forum.

Looks like we now have major reps for StarsWars and Startrek. I'm leaning more towards Alien or Farscape.

Sailor Kenshin
February 7th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Hi folks,

I'm an FP user from way back; the first FP I bought was a Sheaffer cartridge pen, advertised in those days as the "People's Pen." Actually, my mom bought it for me, same day she got me my Star Trek lunchbox. (I'm too vain to name the year, but I'll date myself pretty definitively when I tell you that it was a metal lunchbox celebrating the real Star Trek, with Kirk and Spock on the thermos bottle and Spock's ears painted round to make him look a little less like Pan or Satan :-)

I've preferred FPs ever since I was old enough to write, but only realized I'd become a "collector" when I walked out of the Big Apple Pen Show a decade or so ago with a fistful of pens snorkels and skylines.

I tend to pop in and out of the hobby as other interests wax and wane....but have been on a binge the past few months, catching up on forae and podcasts and buying way more pens than I should.

I've become more interested in repair during this dip into the ocean of pendom, and have been buying/fixing bargain lots of junk pens from the big moneysink (er, auction) site. I collect both modern and vintage, but my interests are definitely skewing toward the hard-rubber-and-celluloid era. Loving safety pens lately, and did my first seal replacement and helix repair recently. Also seem to have picked up an interest in desk sets and dip pens, which keep crowding their way onto shelves and desktops throughout the house....

Looking forward to exploring the forum.....cya!

Jonathan

Still got the lunch box? ;-)

Welcome aboard!

earthdawn
February 8th, 2013, 12:38 AM
LOL well if we are getting nostalgic and Jonathan still has the lunch box we could all meet up at the Baltimore Pen show with our Big Wheels and race for it ;)

FYI... I am all in for Alien

auto winder
February 10th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Welcome :)

Jonathan
February 11th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Re that lunchbox: I wish! Understand it's become quite collectible....but I'm sure it didn't last the year, probably trashed once the glass flagon broke inside the thermos bottle :-(