PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Tuckaway Post-War Carmine Celluloid Eye Candy.

david i
September 6th, 2016, 09:37 PM
All are different...

I'm likely overdue to put together an article or profile or sumthin'...

These are part of the 90-pen Tuckaway collection that happened at the Raleigh 2016 pen show.

1945-1947 Carmine Celluloid, courtesy of Sheaffer

http://www.vacumania.com/penteech2/sheaffertuckaway_postwar_carmine_8pens950a.jpg

regards

david

Sammyo
September 6th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Those are beautiful, thank you for sharing. I always think that one day I will "need" a Sheaffer Tuckaway... one day maybe.
Just out of interest, do you know if there are things to look out for when thinking about buying one? are there any tell tale signs that it has not been loved properly?

amk
September 7th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Those are cute! I didn't know they came with metal caps - are those particularly rare?

Sailor Kenshin
September 7th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Ooooo....Tuckiesssss.....

david i
September 7th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Those are beautiful, thank you for sharing. I always think that one day I will "need" a Sheaffer Tuckaway... one day maybe.
Just out of interest, do you know if there are things to look out for when thinking about buying one? are there any tell tale signs that it has not been loved properly?

Hi,

Pretty much the same things to watch for as with other pens. Even if not restored (don't force the plunger), the blind cap should unscrew smoothly and screw closed without popping through (stripped threads). Tilt the cap and look at it obliquely for light reflections that suggest cap-bulge, though this seems to afflict the slightly later injection-plastic pens more than the Celluloids. Make sure the cap closes on barrel without popping through. After that, it takes a bit of luck

-d

david i
September 7th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Those are cute! I didn't know they came with metal caps - are those particularly rare?

During this era brushed steel and gold-filled caps (pen should have the white dot on bottom of blind cap in the plastic. watch for parts mixes) could be had, though not any cap on any color barrel. Crest with gold-filled cap had black or brown-stripe barrels. Sentinel (steel) as non-Tucky was not offered with Carmine (red stripe) but as Tuckaway it was, a particularly alluring combination. Sentinel Tuckaway perhaps was available in green and in gray as well; I'd have to double check.

IIRC Crest Masterpiece (solid gold cap) was not offered as Tuckaway, just as full size.

-d

amk
September 8th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the info, David. I shall have to keep my eyes open; as you say, the carmine and steel is a lovely look.

ethernautrix
September 10th, 2016, 05:27 AM
Those are gorgeous! And I love vintage Sheaffer nibs.

Alas, not c/c.

(Mostly joking about "not c/c." About 85% joking.)

Barry Gabay
September 15th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Lovely! Thanks for sharing. It continues to be my favorite Sheaffer material.