PDA

View Full Version : Delta Pens

southpaw52
September 7th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Looking to change focus on my collecting, venture into modern pens. I'm unfamiliar with Delta pens, I recently saw the Delta Journal models. They have several stunning colors.

For those that use Delta pens, what is your overall opinion on how the nib writes, ink flow etc?

gregamckinney
September 7th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I have had good luck with Delta pens. I have three. All wrote well out of the box. I subsequently sent them off to nibmeisters, but that was for nib reshaping, not because they required fixing.

greg

Nakayama
September 7th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I have a Dolcevita Oversize with the #8 14k nib in M, wrote perfectly out of the box.
The first time I cleaned it, I did actually take it apart (nib+feed) and cleaned them thoroughly to make sure everything is in order. It was. Still writes like a dream.
Ink flow is ok I guess, medium wetness. It doesn't glide on the paper as a visconti broad for instance, but I hardly feel any feedback from mine.

snowbear
September 7th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I have a Serena in medium and love it.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5666/23073077743_b37a57713f.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/B9Tyae)
https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5819/23674070246_22d0b5ce30.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/C4ZNhW)

christof
September 7th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I really like the Delta Astra. Unfortunately I don't have one to show here :(
c.

h4nkw
September 19th, 2016, 09:49 PM
I'm only familiar with the Delta Serena and Delta Unica, all steel nibs. Their nibs are hard and don't give much line variation. One of my Serenas has minor aesthetic anomalies (eg. the word "Delta" on the metal cap ring isn't aligned right under the clip on one of my Serenas). I find the nibs to be between medium and high wetness. I've had to fiddle with the Serena nibs, but all four Unica nibs worked amazingly smoothly right out of the box. I suspect this is because of the titanium-like coating on the Serena nibs, which is absent from the shiny chrome Unica nibs, but I haven't tried the matte black Unica, whose nib may behave more like the Serena's nibs.

penwash
September 20th, 2016, 04:05 PM
I had "The Journal" with fusion nib.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1530/25771980700_ec3a63e0f2_c.jpg

I remember the nib being nice, smooth and stub. And the material looks incredible in person.

youstruckgold
September 30th, 2016, 05:30 AM
I have more than a few and have had no issues with any of them

Popcorn
September 30th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I have (had) a set of the Delta Titano pens (red, white, and charcoal) in EF, M, and Stub fusion nibs. I wasn't terribly impressed with the pens or the nibs, and wound up loaning out the set to a friend (who still has it to this day).

I also have a Delta Federico and a Delta Passion in pink. Both of them are "okay" pens (they don't feel particularly "special" to me nor do the nibs have anything particularly unique), and both have since been modified by Richard Binder and Linda Kennedy, respectively. The Federico 14k stub had some baby bottoming going on. The Passion broad was just boring.

Finally, I have the Day and Night capri set both with steel M nibs. One of the nibs is much much wider than the other. So take what you will about that nib QC.

Overall, I haven't been terribly impressed with my Deltas. They're okay pens, but I won't be paying a premium for them.

VertOlive
September 30th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I have the Dolce Vita, the Oro, the Ivory Passion, the Soiree', and the Vintage. They are all gorgeous. The nibs, however, are very ordinary and I intend to have them all ground to italics or stubs over time.

I really DO NOT like the "Fusion Nib" on the Oro, and would recommend you get the regular style nib despite the price difference.

kenshiro
September 30th, 2016, 11:33 PM
I have two, a Dolcevita IT and Dolcevita IT Oversize, and while they write very well indeed, i've found that the machining on them, particularly the mating between cap and body, is loose. This leads to not infrequent drying out.

Bogon07
October 9th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I have a bunch of Deltas. With a range of gold, fusion, steel nibs and one titanium nib.

I find the 14K gold nibs to be of the stiffer type than say Visconti or Omas. I did have a bit of a problem with a gold stub....it actually writes better up-side down.

The Fusion nibs are a steel nib with a gold plaque/shield on top ..... they do seem to be better finished than the regular steel and slightly smoother to use. The fusion stub on my Chatterley LE StarCage is one of the nicest stubs I've used.

Steel nibs have been generally quite nice to use and usually no problems.

The titanium nib is a bit like a Visconti Palladium nib, very springy. It does not feel like it has a point of resistance so you have to be careful not to push it too far lest you spring the tins.

Delta offers a range of interesting shapes and materials at more economical prices than most of the other Italian brands.
They often have a range of different editions for the one model. Sometimes this is merely numbered and un-numbered, a choice of nibs others may have different filling systems converter vs piston or lever filler. Some of the Indigenous peoples LEs have alternate postions of the celluloids/resins.

The only problem I've seen is the dark bronze coating on a clip showing wear on a Tech&Web Galleria.

penultress
October 9th, 2016, 10:42 PM
I have 3 Deltas, all with fusion nibs: one M, one stub and one with a Dan Smith cursive italic because I wanted something different. All wrote nicely out of the box and I like them all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Scrawler
October 10th, 2016, 03:38 AM
I have a friend who has a Delta fetish. Years ago he was on holiday in N. Africa, where he met an Italian lady. He goes to Italy once or twice a year (he is there right now). He has a superstitious belief that he must buy a fountain pen before returning home, else the plane will not make it back. During most of his visits to Italy he bought a Delta pen. He has all the Dolce Vita models. He says they are nice pens but there is nothing special about the nibs. He says he is still looking for a nib with exactly the right characteristics. The nearest to what he thinks he wants is a Canadian Eclipse from the 1930s, which he knows he will not find in a Delta.

jar
October 10th, 2016, 05:53 AM
I have a nice DV with a great nib.

http://www.fototime.com/66D3483F0699188/large.jpg