PDA

View Full Version : Handwriting

Ayla
February 8th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Inquiring minds want to know! Which style of penmanship do you use, when you compose your letters, notes, cards ect.

~ Print or
~ Cursive

And, why do you choose to write this way?

Me? I do what I like to call a pseudo print- cursive. And here are my reasons why:

1) faster (at least to me)
2) more legible
3) easier on my hand, in terms of muscle usage

eriquito
February 8th, 2013, 11:01 PM
I use cursive. I suppose I use it because it's quicker. Plus it makes me feel more artistic. Hey, I take it where I can get it.

=) Eric

P.S. Ayla, how about you?

Ayla
February 8th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Me? I do what I like to call a pseudo print- cursive. Don't believe me, here is a picture:

And here are my reasons why:

2) more legible (for me and the recipient)

When I was in Elementary school (what? twenty-two years ago.), the school I went to still had the "left handed people need to use their right hand" mentality. So, I think that is another one of the reasons why I print. But, I would really like to improve my cursive, because it is severely lacking. Any suggestions?

I use cursive. I suppose I use it because it's quicker. Plus it makes me feel more artistic. Hey, I take it where I can get it.

=) Eric

P.S. Ayla, how about you?

eriquito
February 8th, 2013, 11:14 PM
But, I would really like to improve my cursive, because it is severely lacking. Any suggestions?

Stephen just put out a "how to improve my handwriting" video on youtube:

http://youtu.be/VU6qUXPEfPA

It's 21 minutes but I can re-cap in one word: Practice

Start at a slow speed. Practice, practice, practice. Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you'll get at doing it.

=) Eric

Ayla
February 8th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Thank you, I watched the entire video, and Stephen makes a very valid point. That your handwriting is an extension of you and your personality! See, I think part of my problem is, is that my mom was/ still is mentally abusive. She would belittle my handwriting, everytime she had to read something I had written. That, and my Elementary school didn't help improve the situation. However, I will practice MY handwriting. Because, it is MINE and no one else, can produce it in quite the same way.

Tracy Lee
February 9th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I think I tend toward cursive a majority of the time. I have nice writing, and I say that because people constantly tell me that even when scribbling notes at work. To me, it is just my handwriting. I have journaled since I was very small, and have been writing letters since childhood. I had 13 pen pals as a kid. So I am a big proponent of the "practice, practice, practice" approach for sure. I have spent time also, over the young years, deciding how my printing should look and perfecting that look uniquely to me. Not sure what spurred that, but it is completely unlike my cursive. I definitely consider it to all be part of who I am, just like my name. That makes it worth my time, something I didn't really put together until recently. Fountain pens have played a huge role in all of that.

fountainpenkid
February 9th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I never was forced to continue writing with cursive, so I forgot it before I got into FPs. I print, but with flair.

Pinkys.Brain
February 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Cursive!

My cursive is ugly, but my print is even worse...

KrazyIvan
February 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Print before I got into fountain pens. Fountain pens seem to lend themselves to cursive so I switch back and forth depending on my mood. My cursive has improved a lot but it still needs a lot of work.

caribbean_skye
February 9th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Mostly cursive.

writingrav
February 9th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Entirely cursive and getting better through practice:)

arubafanatic
February 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Cursive but practice is crucial. Here's a sample of my cursive. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ERPaKeywt6c/URB_0TNd28I/AAAAAAAAAPI/1oeTfAFalYU/s1600/Writing-DeziV.jpg
I can't spell with a darn.

fountainpenkid
February 9th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I've received wonderful letters from wrtingrav, Tracy Lee, and KI, and I envy your wonderful handwriting! I can write very cool fonts if I take the time, but it isn't practical for most cases.

auto winder
February 10th, 2013, 01:50 AM
I use cursive most of the time. If somebody else needs to be able to understand it, I may also use print.
However my handwriting has improved since getting into fountain pens. Now I can read and understand my own cursive most of the time!

peterpen53
February 10th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Cursive, leaning towards italic. If I use a pen with an edged nib, more italic than anything. I don't think I could print a full single line. Anyway, I thought they invented printers for that.

manoeuver
February 10th, 2013, 02:17 PM
started using cursive again a few years back. Now I'm using cursive almost exclusively. Have experienced dramatic improvement in my handwriting since I started using Michael Sull's American Cursive Handwriting. Highly recommended, it's a bargain at 35 dollars.

ink mixer
February 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I switch between a looped cursive, italic and printing. And American Cursive Handwriting is a great resource.

BikerBabe
February 10th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Cursive.
I've finally taught myself to write cursive, I want to use it! :D

Augustinian
February 10th, 2013, 06:16 PM
For letters and personal correspondence, I tend to use chancery cursive............ was taught that ways by the good old nuns.
For note taking I use a more box style... and sometimes even some gothic lettering.

Inquiring minds want to know! Which style of penmanship do you use, when you compose your letters, notes, cards ect.

~ Print or
~ Cursive

Me? I do what I like to call a pseudo print- cursive. And here are my reasons why:

2) more legible

snedwos
February 11th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Cursive. Which has got worse lately... I blame this on teh combination of the safari section and the 1.1 nib -- they don't really play together for me, but it's more fun, so I do it anyway.

KrazyIvan
February 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I've received wonderful letters from wrtingrav, Tracy Lee, and KI, and I envy your wonderful handwriting! I can write very cool fonts if I take the time, but it isn't practical for most cases.

Thank you. I don't think I have ever had anyone envy my handwriting.

ilangai
February 23rd, 2013, 03:49 AM
As English is not my native language & we didn't had cursive writing in school, I had to teach myself cursive when I was a kid from books.. Since then I mostly write in print, until I started using FP.. Now it's cursive all the way, and improving every day.

TheRoXFiles
February 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM

~ Print or
~ Cursive

2) more legible

I'm like you, Ayla. I'm somewhere in the middle between print and cursive. I'm kind of odd, too...sometimes, within a given word, I might write a letter the print way, and write it in cursive later on in the word. I caught myself doing this with the letter "s" in some word yesterday while I was filling out forms at the office, and even I went O.o at that because I'm not sure there's much there in the way of consistency if I write letters two different ways within the same word. I imagine that if any of my teachers in elementary school saw me do that, they'd tsk tsk tsk right over me and tell me how bad my handwriting is. But I'm quirky like that. :P

What I find more interesting is...well, I'm left-handed. Not sure how this happened over the years, but I can write decently enough with my right hand, too. I just don't do it that often because it feels weird. But my handwriting is neater (and much smaller) with my right hand than it is with my left. I don't get it, but I'll take it. :)

southpaw52
February 24th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I am a southpaw I write underhanded. Using a fountain pen I tend to write slower and concentrate on my writing. I have return to writing cursive after years of printing. I do insert some block letters with my cursive. I enjoy writing using a fountain pen.

TonyJones
February 25th, 2013, 11:59 AM
My cursive requires immediate attention...

caribbean_skye
February 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Aww TonyJones, your print is quite neat and your cursive isn't bad at all!

TonyJones
February 25th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Not a fan of my cursive writing, would really like it to be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye!

caribbean_skye
February 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Not a fan of my cursive writing, would really like it to be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye!

Well as they say, practise practise practise

manoeuver
February 26th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Well as they say, practise practise practiseGood to get some guidance to focus practice on the right things. iampeth.org is a fine starting point.

TonyJones
March 2nd, 2013, 04:19 AM
Good to get some guidance to focus practice on the right things. iampeth.org is a fine starting point.

Many thanks!

Sent from my mobile box with lots of transistors inside using Tapatalk 2

Tracy Lee
March 2nd, 2013, 05:20 AM
My cursive requires immediate attention...

Not disgusting at all, far too harsh self criticism. I could read it just fine. A little time every day, In the end, you have a distinctive script, like a fingerprint, and that is what is so great about handwriting. It never needs to look like anyone else's.

TonyJones
March 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the positive comments :) I know it's not that bad, but I wish it was better.

Sent from a handheld thingy-majig with lots of transistors inside using Tapatalk 2

magnesium68
March 6th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Cursive with holy fountain pen and print with evil rollerball.:puke:

everybodylovesbacon
March 8th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I love to write in cursive and see cursive writing. I started to print exclusively in college as I found it so much easier and neater to take notes that way. However, after being a teacher for over a decade, I have reverted back to writing in cursive almost all the time, especially at work.

After looking at so much bad student handwriting, I realized I was a model for their writing. If I didn't care about mine, why should I expect them to be mindful of theirs (believe me, it matters when you're staring at a stack of 180 essays to be graded). So I started to write in cursive only on the board where I listed the agenda, homework, and objectives for the day. I would still take notes or present information by printing. One day a student came in and asked what we were doing that day (like he did every day), and I told him to read the agenda on the board (like I did every day). He then confessed that he couldn't read cursive because no one ever taught him how. I was kind of shocked. I thought every second grader learned to write in cursive, and here was this 11th grader without a clue.

When I started to think about the implications it was frightening. I remember reading duplicates of Emily Dickinson's hand-written poetry and analyzing it along with the changes made during publication. I wrote a massive paper on it. I remember looking at duplicates of original historical documents in my American history class... the Constitution, anyone? I remembered that being able to read cursive was critical to my education. The inability to read cursive would have immediately closed doors to me and shut me out of a world of even knowing my basic rights!

Thus my interest in handwriting and cursive began. I have worked to develop my own handwriting so that it is legible and, hopefully even elegant. I try to write in cursive in every instance I can, especially in front of students. I encourage them to write their essays in cursive or at least print mindfully in the hopes that someone can read the brilliance that they just laid on the page. I've read several articles in teacher publications regarding the necessity of cursive, and I'm always disheartened when teachers claim it's an unnecessary, time-wasting activity because we're in the digital age. I just shake my head and hope someone at some point teaches those kids this critical skill.

I suppose it's part of our heritage and human development - cursive. Unless everything is converted and digitized in print, I don't see how we can ignore this part of who we are. Communication is critical, beautiful, and is what connects us across time and space. To sever a means of communication would be a tragic loss. I know I've gone off the deep end about handwriting and cursive, but I blame it on this thread. Don't even get me started on calligraphy... :)

manoeuver
March 8th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Baconperson, I'm with you.

Someday they'll round up all us cursive writers and put us in reeducation camps.

to hell with em.

cedargirl
May 2nd, 2013, 06:05 PM
Cursive. (But by cursive, I do not mean copperplate/spencerian - that's way too slow.)

I'm of an age that I was taught to write in cursive at school. Then at university, it was the only way I could keep up with taking notes. Later still, i had a job which also required very fast note taking. So I never got out of the habit.
I find it hard to print now - usually only successful if I use caps, otherwise old habits revert!
I became concerned that my 16 (now 18) year old son said he couldn't read my hand writing. I thought he meant it was too messy, but then he said he'd never learnt to read cursive. I started writing notes to him ("don't forget to feed the cat" or "please take the washing in":)) in the neatest half-cursive I could muster, to get him used to it. He hasn't complained lately ... though the cat sometimes doesn't get fed:confused:!

Bogon07
May 2nd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Cursive. (But by cursive, I do not mean copperplate/spencerian - that's way too slow.)

I'm of an age that I was taught to write in cursive at school. Then at university, it was the only way I could keep up with taking notes. Later still, i had a job which also required very fast note taking. So I never got out of the habit.
I find it hard to print now - usually only successful if I use caps, otherwise old habits revert!
I became concerned that my 16 (now 18) year old son said he couldn't read my hand writing. I thought he meant it was too messy, but then he said he'd never learnt to read cursive. I started writing notes to him ("don't forget to feed the cat" or "please take the washing in":)) in the neatest half-cursive I could muster, to get him used to it. He hasn't complained lately ... though the cat sometimes doesn't get fed:confused:!

That was dangerous giving your son a copperplated (intentionally bad pun) excuse not to do things.

My father used to write in very impressive Copperplate with noce flourishes and I often wondered if my school teachers could actually understand his notes.

I used to print most of the time before this interest in fountainpens started up a few years ago. Just occassionally I'd use cursive for the novelty value.

cedargirl
May 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM

That was dangerous giving your son a copperplated (intentionally bad pun) excuse not to do things.

My father used to write in very impressive Copperplate with noce flourishes and I often wondered if my school teachers could actually understand his notes.

I used to print most of the time before this interest in fountainpens started up a few years ago. Just occassionally I'd use cursive for the novelty value.

Haha - bad pun excused!

I am very envious of people who can put such magic on the page. I think I will, one day, take the time to teach myself copperplate*, but as a calligraphy script and not for normal daily use. I am currently practising italic and uncial calligraphy.

*note - and not Spencerian - I feel the pull more of my English antecedents! (Even though I am 1/4 american based on grandparent origins.)

Manny
May 2nd, 2013, 10:22 PM

ndw76
May 3rd, 2013, 12:22 AM
I use cursive for anything that is more than one or two lines. If I write cursive I use finger writing and can't write this way for a long time. But when I write cursive I use wrist movement to write. So cursive for the letters and printing for the address, just incase the postman or the person reading the letter isn't very good at reading cursive.

seffrican
May 3rd, 2013, 02:35 AM

I have to confess that your printing is even more readable than your cursive, which is perfectly legible as well.

I use cursive for everything except (a) when I am writing invitations or short notes, which are done in free italic, and (b) when someone else has to read what I've written, such as marginal notes in documents, when I print, or - more frequently these days - use block lettering.

drgoretex
May 3rd, 2013, 05:21 AM
The vast majority of my writing is at work, where I have to print. This works out fine, as I have no idea how to write in cursive. My teachers worked long and hard at it when I was a young guy, but to no avail, and eventually, they gave up. I won. But, I lost.

Ken

KCat
May 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Ayla,

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with your handwriting and your mom but I'm glad that you've turned it into a positive by assuming control over it now. My mom tried to help me with mine by buying calligraphy kits so while she was always supportive and loving about it, the message was still, "you have awful handwriting." And I do. Because of the calligraphy it has morphed into a mix of cursive from elementary school and italic lettering. At my age I think trying to fix it might not be worth my time and effort. I am writing a journal for my new grandbaby and I am a little worried she will struggle to read it but I have to be optimistic that her parents won't let her get through the US school system without knowing how to read cursive. (Fingers crossed) :)

Best,
KCat

jbb
May 6th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Cursive with flourishes.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5188/5552176516_51ea8b8413_o.jpg

tannie
May 6th, 2013, 01:12 PM
After primary school I taught myself a semi-print because it looked more legible. I used this writing ever since until recently I started practicing my cursive again. Also using the opportunity to learn cursive with my left hand which, surprisingly, goes a lot better than trying print.
I use semi-print for addresses and started to use cursive more. Even for shopping lists (practice, practice, practice)

caribbean_skye
May 6th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Manny - both of yours are extremely legible, I'd be more than happy to read your print or your cursive.

KCat
May 6th, 2013, 01:18 PM
After primary school I taught myself a semi-print because it looked more legible. I used this writing ever since until recently I started practicing my cursive again. Also using the opportunity to learn cursive with my left hand which, surprisingly, goes a lot better than trying print.
I use semi-print for addresses and started to use cursive more. Even for shopping lists (practice, practice, practice)

Your semi-print looks a lot like my handwriting and looks to be influenced by italic writing. It may not be but it looks like it.

tannie
May 6th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Your semi-print looks a lot like my handwriting and looks to be influenced by italic writing. It may not be but it looks like it.

I probably notice things in italic writing that I liked. I went through a several year phase of trying out different handwritings, with various styles. One had the a with the 'hook' on top, and a very curvy n (that I use in a slightly different form as a capital N). I also tried to make my handwriting as illegible as possible for a while (so bad I couldn't really read it myself anymore). Mostly because people complained about my handwriting and I figured 'if you want ugly and illegible, you can get it!'. This only lasted two months and then I went to work on making it look good ;)

nxn96
May 8th, 2013, 08:31 AM
In general, I use cursive for most everything. I will print address labels (although I'll use cursive for the address if it's an envelope- go figure) and will print when I'm writing instructions for someone else (recipe, etc.), but will use cursive if I'm writing the instructions for my own use.

countrydirt
May 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Cursive

Sailor Kenshin
May 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Don't laugh, but the pen dictates whether I write in print or in cursive.

00Photo
May 8th, 2013, 02:37 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/8720565681_2c925c12ee_b.jpg

Manny
May 8th, 2013, 03:11 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0508131709-1_zps31233fd4.jpg

00Photo
May 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks Manny, the top is Montblanc Toffee Brown in a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age and the bottom is Diamine Emerald Green in a Mabie Todd Swan. The paper is R by Rhodia. I find most inks shade pretty good on it.

ndw76
May 9th, 2013, 03:49 AM

I have a Mabie Todd Blackbird, but it doesn't write like that for me.

jbb
May 9th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Your handwriting, particularly in the green ink, is a delight to look at. Which inks are those?

KrazyIvan
May 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
The subtle flex on the hairline flourish for the green capital "M" in Mabie caught my eye. It was a, "Hmmm, maybe I could do that too." moment. :D

woosang
May 9th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Cursive with flourishes.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5188/5552176516_51ea8b8413_o.jpg

Sigh, love your handwriting JBB.
I write in print most of the time work requires it with a ballpoint. I have snuck in a rollerball :) but a print /cursive hybrid is what I use 99% of the time

Only use cursive if I have the time to write it legibly

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

00Photo
May 9th, 2013, 05:13 PM

Your handwriting, particularly in the green ink, is a delight to look at. Which inks are those?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/8724825638_b957f183d1_b.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
May 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I now know which MB ink I'll be buying.

caribbean_skye
May 10th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Oh wow 00Photo. Now I'll be playing with my flex (sadly not vintage) pens and will have to add Diamine Emerald Green to my list of inks to buy. Thanks for sharing both the wonderful handwriting but the shading with the ink. Yet another person whose flex writing mine aspires to be like!

cwent2
May 10th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Is chicken scratch considered handwriting? If so that describes mine - I was supposed to be a Left handed writer but was forced at school to write with right hand.

fountainpenkid
May 10th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Is chicken scratch considered handwriting? If so that describes mine - I was supposed to be a Left handed writer but was forced at school to write with right hand.

Ugh...that sucks.

cwent2
May 10th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Ugh...that sucks.
so did the ruler the teacher used to smack my hand with.... but as it is stated awhile back in this thread the key to doing anything better is .... practice.

Sailor Kenshin
May 11th, 2013, 06:42 AM

Ugh...that sucks.

Interesting.

I resisted, and my handwriting is still junk.

Manny
May 26th, 2013, 09:26 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0526132318_zps88d6d7b1.jpg

MisterBoll
May 26th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I lead more towards cursive but I do have my print moments.

While I do think it's a good thing to know how to write in a 'beautiful' hand I also think it's important to be unique and be yourself when you write.

youstruckgold
May 27th, 2013, 07:50 AM
My handwriting is a little subdued and undisciplined, but I try:

peterpen53
May 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM
My handwriting is a little subdued and undisciplined, but I try:

Nice try. Nothing wrong, it's very legible, which is the most important.
Enlighten us please about the Omas and its nib.

Manny
May 31st, 2013, 02:24 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0531131613-1_zps851a094e.jpg

I like mango pudding
May 31st, 2013, 04:24 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/maxthedog/Photo0478_zps62cfe2bb.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/maxthedog/media/Photo0478_zps62cfe2bb.jpg.html)

woosang
June 7th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Don't laugh, but the pen dictates whether I write in print or in cursive.

Same here. I print in my journal. EF pens for that and cursive for writing letters

Inner Prop
September 18th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Mango Pudding Lover, I'd call that legible.

I print.

When I was a freshman in High School my Biology teacher told us he didn't care about handwriting or even what kind of paper we handed our work in on, as long as it was on-time. He even said we could write on toilet paper.

Eventually my poor cursive handwriting prompted him to require that I (and only me) submit all my work printed on loose leaf paper.

It might also have been that I took him up on his challenge. I wrote an asignment on toilet paper (it was in cursive).

I've been printing ever since, got out of and forgot how to write cursive.

Silverbreeze
September 18th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Does anyone else intermix?

I find capital F and Q annoying to draw in Cursive for example

manoeuver
September 19th, 2014, 09:21 AM
http://timhofmann.org/fountainofuse/2014-09-19%2011.16.33.jpg

chatminouche
September 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I use cursive... my handwriting has shifted so much over time, I agree with a previous post that it reflects your personality... handwriting to me was my first form of artistic expression... in grade 4 or so, I had developed a blended cursive/print style that I really enjoyed the look of... but my teacher burst that bubble by telling me that my handwriting had become "ugly"... so I went back to the drawing board and developed another style that suited me aesthetically, and satisfied my teacher... and it has since been evolving for 20 years...

For those who think their cursive writing is awful, just know, you can improve it... you can train your hand and your brain to write differently... it's kind of like changing your hairstyle... it feels weird at first, but with time, you get used to it... Practice makes perfect! :)

LagNut
September 19th, 2014, 02:48 PM

Absolutely. That is my handwriting.

The strange thing is, the mix varies. Sometimes a letter is cursive, sometimes print. I didn't notice this till I started looking back on things I'd written, and it's random.

I know it will change from pen to pen...

Silverbreeze
September 20th, 2014, 05:40 AM

Absolutely. That is my handwriting.

The strange thing is, the mix varies. Sometimes a letter is cursive, sometimes print. I didn't notice this till I started looking back on things I'd written, and it's random.

I know it will change from pen to pen...

Mine too
Sometimes it seems the paper matters too

snedwos
September 20th, 2014, 07:22 AM
For me cursive or print isn't about letter forms it's about whether the writing is joined up or not. There's no such thing as a 'print Q' for instance. If it's joined up it's cursive, if it isn't it's print.

Silverbreeze
September 20th, 2014, 08:35 AM
For me cursive or print isn't about letter forms it's about whether the writing is joined up or not. There's no such thing as a 'print Q' for instance. If it's joined up it's cursive, if it isn't it's print.

Aye but I have a habit of mixing
Like the word Quickly or Printing
The first letter won't connect all the rest do

tandaina
September 20th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Yeah I hate the cursive capital q and F I was taught in school so I print those and don't connect them to rest of the word

Silverbreeze
September 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Yeah I hate the cursive capital q and F I was taught in school so I print those and don't connect them to rest of the word

Does the Q look a 2 and F like a double barred T?

tandaina
September 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Yup

Silverbreeze
September 20th, 2014, 02:04 PM
The F reminds me of an Christian orthodox cross
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/20/2375b7168bcc0f8ef67e1f83498ea9c9.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/20/67a1bd23b390044de018645346eb3c2c.jpg

snedwos
September 20th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I do usually print my capitals, but that was a feature of the style of cursive I was taught.

snedwos
September 20th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I make my Q out of two strokes, and join the second one. Sometimes.

LagNut
September 29th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Some lowercase letters bug me too, like r and s. The cursive form is not that clear, at least the way I write. Is it an r or an n? An s or an o? Sometimes context helps, but that defeats the purpose of writing in the first place. But the cursive versions sneak their way in.

Interesting point with the cross. My capital F is generally a strange one that's backwards, stolen from a high school teacher.

Cob
September 29th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I'm afraid that a lifetime of bad habits has resulted in what I call Frankenscript: a sort of bastard mixture of copperplate, italic, skool-riting etc... And it varies by the day of the week and the pen:

Cob http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/smoking-smileys/smoking_03.gif (http://www.4smileys.com)

Bogon07
September 29th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Cob, your Frankenscript looks very serviceable and has a most pleasing character.

Cob
September 30th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Cob, your Frankenscript looks very serviceable and has a most pleasing character.

Too kind!

Rgds

Cob

LagNut
October 2nd, 2014, 06:35 AM
Cob,

Your Frankenscript(and I'm stealing that term) is extremely legible, and sports the backward F I was referring to. Your r and s are nice clear versions of what I'd call cursive that are not going going to be mistaken for n or o.

Looks very nice under the influence of flex, also...

Mike

Cob
October 2nd, 2014, 06:39 AM
Cob,

Your Frankenscript(and I'm stealing that term) is extremely legible, and sports the backward F I was referring to. Your r and s are nice clear versions of what I'd call cursive that are not going going to be mistaken for n or o.

Looks very nice under the influence of flex, also...

Mike

Once again, too kind. When I try to write something presentable, I find it practically impossible to sustain the necessary concentration. Perhaps I'll try again and post something hereabouts.

Best wishes

Cob

Cob
October 2nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
Well you were so kind, so here's some more Frankenscript

The pens are first an English Waterman's with Canadian Ideal nib and an Advance pen (wrong cap) with Conklin nib. Inks are Quink blue-black and Rohrer and Klingner Goldgrün.

Rgds,

Cob

LagNut
October 5th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Like the script, like the pens, probably caused an ink purchase(the Goldgrun). No idea how to get umlauts on this device.

Frankenpen(s?) also? I'm thinking the waterman's is not frankenpen, but don't know enough to be sure.

You're making me want to ink up my 52 1/2. You've also awakened an interest in trolling for old nibs. I'm struggling to put that back to sleep, probably unsuccessfully.

Mike

Cob
October 5th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Like the script, like the pens, probably caused an ink purchase(the Goldgrun). No idea how to get umlauts on this device.

Frankenpen(s?) also? I'm thinking the waterman's is not frankenpen, but don't know enough to be sure.

You're making me want to ink up my 52 1/2. You've also awakened an interest in trolling for old nibs. I'm struggling to put that back to sleep, probably unsuccessfully.

Mike

Thanks. the Waterman's is in a sense a Frankenpen - being an English one with a Canadian nib. I have an English Ideal nib as a spare; it is a bit of a nail.

For umlauts - if you are on an English computer - type Alt 0252 to get ü and Alt 0220 to get Ü and Alt 0235 to get ë as in Citroën.

Good luck in your search - I am always trying to buy "good" nibs - by "good" I mean mostly flex and what I call "edge" - I like a sort of flexible stub. Obliques are fun too.

Best wishes

Cob