PDA

View Full Version : Ink Stain in Platinum Koi Cap

rangerfrog
September 9th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Hi-I have a Platinum Koi, which I love, but sadly I had an ink explosion. I was able to clean the body, but the cap filled with Emerald of Chivor and it seems to now be stained. I've rinsed it in water, let it soak in water/pen flush, q-tips to wipe out the cap... but it remains. I'm hesitant to try more because I don't want to damage the celluloid. Any thoughts or helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

D Armstrong
September 9th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Often (usually) ink will wick into the smallest of spaces (like between inner & outer caps), and it can be devilish to get it out.

Try a more vigorous flush, with a solution of water (95%), household ammonia (5%, non-sudsing variety), and a drop of dish detergent. If you can get hold of a large veterinary syringe, it will be quite effective. Failing that, a large turkey baster, although the pressure won't be as high. An unfortunate drawback of light-colored plastics is that they can be prone to discoloration, although Herbin is usually pretty benign.

If you can get residue out using centrifugal force, flushing will dilute what is left. Repeat the process a few times, and you are left with just water in the spaces, which won't leave pigment behind when it evaporates. Put the cap in the middle of a cloth, standing on the open end. Close up the cloth around it, so that the cap is securely in the middle. You can then flick the package downward by hand, and the centrifugal force will expel the inky water down into the cloth (and on to the floor if you don't have enough absorption material). Be doubly sure to check that the cloth is between the cap and the floor, because you don't want it to go flying! Do that a few times; there should be colored wet on the cloth. Flush the cap again, then repeat the process as many times as it takes to make the residue clear and clean.

You shouldn't have a problem with the plastic, so long as you stay away from hot water. Tepid is fine for flushing.

Hope this helps.

rangerfrog
September 12th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks so much. I will let you know if I have success.