PDA

View Full Version : Incwriyear?

writingrav
February 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM
With the month of February inching toward the half way mark and having written 29 letters ( not all mailed yet) I am wondering how and why anyone would want to stop this. Can't we declare this incowriyear or better still establish a permanent correspondence forum on FP Geeks where addresses could be listed and exchanged. Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fountainpenkid
February 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Yeah! But I think it would be very hard to write a letter a day for a year. I would be interested if we did a couple each month.

Bohemond76
February 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM
and imagine the costs involved for all those stamps

fountainpenkid
February 10th, 2013, 11:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing. But I love the idea of a letter exchange nonetheless!

caribbean_skye
February 10th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Well, I think they should have a forum/sub-forum (under InCoWriMo even) for those who are interested in corresponding especially if they for whatever reason cannot write during the month of February. Beyond that, it should be up to the individual people if they want to keep corresponding with those they've sent a letter to during InCoWriMo.

manoeuver
February 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM
cheaper than smoking.

Tracy Lee
February 10th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I'm in for whatever. Having a ball. Stamp cost manageable for me as my whole life postage has been a priority. :-) Found 6 books in my wallet.

PostMuse
February 11th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Postage is a priority for me, too, right after books.

KrazyIvan
February 11th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I like this so far and am up for keeping it going.

Ayla
February 11th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I am all over this, I love the idea (even if the group decides to lessen the "goal" per month). As I mentioned in my profile, I love to read and write! And let's not forget that this (at least for me) gives me the perfect excuse of buying ink for the family fountain pens, but the butt loads! Noodler's or Diamine here I come!

caribbean_skye
February 12th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Postage is a priority for me, too, right after books.

Hehe if I would quit buying books (I already have 6 boxes of them, most of which I haven't read yet), I could probably afford to buy more pricey pens. Postage is manageable for me, but it helps when I don't have many people to write to :(

Trixie.in.Dixie
February 12th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I have been yearning for pen pals for years, and I would love to continue the open exchange of contact info for whoever would like to jump in at any time of the year.

Tracy Lee
February 12th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I have been yearning for pen pals for years, and I would love to continue the open exchange of contact info for whoever would like to jump in at any time of the year.

I second that. Does anyone here remember Big Blue Marble? A non-profit org I wrote to as a kid to get pen pals. I had 13 at any one time, recently reconnected with the one in the UK that lasted the most years (facebook). FP Geeks is fast becoming a Big Blue Marble!! :-) Love it.

Trixie.in.Dixie
February 12th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Does anyone here remember Big Blue Marble?

I remember the name, but for the life of me I can't remember watching it (I read thru an episode guide on line). I was a huge fan of ZOOM and Electric Company.

KrazyIvan
February 12th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I loved Big Blue Marble!

Tracy Lee
February 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I remember the name, but for the life of me I can't remember watching it (I read thru an episode guide on line). I was a huge fan of ZOOM and Electric Company.

It was a show? They always had ads in the Highlights magazine to do the pen pals. I still have all of my blue postcards they sent with a name and address for a new pen pal. That is how I remember them mostly. Nice little flashback. I need to do a search to remind me of the show I guess. So long ago!!

caribbean_skye
February 12th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Did you add your info to the InCoWriMo Mailing list?

chaimann
February 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM
http://fatpastor.me/2013/02/12/40-notes-in-40-days/

Here is a suggestion for writing notes each day during Lent.

caribbean_skye
February 12th, 2013, 07:06 PM
http://fatpastor.me/2013/02/12/40-notes-in-40-days/

Here is a suggestion for writing notes each day during Lent.

That's a good idea. However some of those would be easier to email, but I suppose it doesn't matter as long as the messages get sent. Ugh, and it starts tomorrow! Gonna be a long lent for me this year it seems (I love my carbs but thankfully I'm only giving up bread and bread-like items).

woosang
February 13th, 2013, 01:23 AM
In would happily write to anyone who wishes a pen pal but one a day would be too expensive. A few a month is perfect

fountainpenkid
February 13th, 2013, 04:32 PM
In would happily write to anyone who wishes a pen pal but one a day would be too expensive. A few a month is perfect

+1.

snedwos
February 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM
+1 for me too. There wasn't a plan to delete the website and the address list once February was over, was there? I was going to keep dipping into it whenever I felt like writing a letter. People are certainly welcome to keep writing to me afterwards!

Carole
February 15th, 2013, 02:06 PM
+1 again also for me. Hope InCoWriMo goes on for more months. I guess that would make it InCoWriMoMo.
Works for me, although I don't have an actual Momo.

Tracy Lee
February 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM
+1 for me too. There wasn't a plan to delete the website and the address list once February was over, was there? I was going to keep dipping into it whenever I felt like writing a letter. People are certainly welcome to keep writing to me afterwards!

Sounds like a great idea. I wasn't planning to stop either, primarily for those who are also wanting to write.

magnesium68
February 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I'm against the idea of pushing INCOWRIMO further than the end of march max.If you do so, there wont be anything special when february 2014 will come. To turn this into a full year event is like asking christmas to be everyday , get the point?

I would also delete the mailing list on INCOWRIMO at the end of the month.

fountainpenkid
February 16th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I'm against the idea of pushing INCOWRIMO further than the end of march max.If you do so, there wont be anything special when february 2014 will come. To turn this into a full year event is like asking christmas to be everyday , get the point?

Maybe you have a point. But I would argue that the point of InCoWriMo is to encourage MORE postcards and letters to be sent; it is not supposed to stay contained. But I think more hidden address access would be a good idea.

TheRoXFiles
February 16th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I've been thinking about this, too--something like InCoWriMo for the rest of the year, but without the "one letter per day" quota. Let's save that for February of each year. :) I really like the idea of a permanent correspondence forum. Just be sure to hide those addresses from search engines, or otherwise figure out a way to keep them non-public, and that'd be good. :)

manoeuver
February 16th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Any letter I get after March 5th will be set on fire immediately.

fountainpenkid
February 16th, 2013, 04:06 PM

lol

magnesium68
February 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Mine will be thrown to crocodiles :)

caribbean_skye
February 16th, 2013, 06:54 PM

hahaha, I'm glad mine got mailed out early then. :)

Tracy Lee
February 16th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I am tempted to write both of you in April to see what you will do. I double-dog dare you to carry out these egregious acts of blasphemy. :what::banghead::)

caribbean_skye
February 16th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I am tempted to write both of you in April to see what you will do. I double-dog dare you to carry out these egregious acts of blasphemy. :what::banghead::)

You should have them post up videos as evidence too. :)

Bogon07
February 17th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Finally a use for that "stone" paper to give you a bit of a challenge. :boom:

KrazyIvan
February 18th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Finally a use for that "stone" paper to give you a bit of a challenge. :boom:

It will burn faster with the plastic or PVC sheet the calcium carbonate is adhered too.

manoeuver
February 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Finally a use for that "stone" paper to give you a bit of a challenge. :boom: That's why I've filled my home with the finest flammables and accelerants.

fountainpenkid
February 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM
That's why I've filled my home with the finest flammables and accelerants.

You WILL get a letter from me ;)

chaimann
February 19th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Back to topic for a moment, I cast my vote in favor of maintaining a regular spot for the discussion of correspondence, against on-going challenges, and in favor of keeping addresses in a walled garden with member-only access.

Remember: Fountain pens don't write letters. People with fountain pens write letters.:)

Tracy Lee
February 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Back to topic for a moment, I cast my vote in favor of maintaining a regular spot for the discussion of correspondence, against on-going challenges, and in favor of keeping addresses in a walled garden with member-only access.

Remember: Fountain pens don't write letters. People with fountain pens write letters.:)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

TheRoXFiles
February 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Or...maybe the challenges from month to month could change. So February would be "write one letter a day" month. Maybe another month could be something like, "pick a favorite quote of yours and mention it somewhere in a letter" month. Maybe another month could involve talking about the latest book we've read, or our favorite book. Or another month could be "handwrite at least one Facebook (or Twitter or Google+) status per day, photograph it, and show it off on your timeline or profile" month. So challenges of some kind could still be there, or maybe writing prompts or themes of some kind. Quotas or limits don't have to be the only kinds of challenges that can be involved with something like this.

Carole
February 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan
It will burn faster with the plastic or PVC sheet the calcium carbonate is adhered too.
Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07
Finally a use for that "stone" paper to give you a bit of a challenge.

That's why I've filled my home with the finest flammables and accelerants.

Hey, thanks, I needed the laugh today! Y'all are just too marvelous for words. I need to send you some letters saying just that.

And of course, a letter to the Flammable Ink Command Post, for the 'Sheets of Flame' live event. Holy sheets, of course.

manoeuver
February 19th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Holy sheets indeed!

Trixie.in.Dixie
February 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Did you add your info to the InCoWriMo Mailing list?

I did, and I'm having a blast so far!

Trixie.in.Dixie
February 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM

I was assuming that those of us who participate this time around could keep writing to each other as regular pen pals if we want to, and hopefully next year when February comes, there will be a whole new class of eager correspondents to join in. That's when we could try writing to new people if we so choose, depending on time and motivation.

TheRoXFiles
February 19th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I was assuming that those of us who participate this time around could keep writing to each other as regular pen pals if we want to, and hopefully next year when February comes, there will be a whole new class of eager correspondents to join in. That's when we could try writing to new people if we so choose, depending on time and motivation.

I'm with Trixie--I assumed that we'd keep writing to folks who respond to us past February. I know that's what I'm going to do. My thing is, I've never had a penpal pre-InCoWriMo. I went from 0 to seven and counting. I've got some new friends now--as in, we've been responding to each other's letters--and I'm not about to say "thank you, come again!" and shut the door on them until next February. :(

So...personally, I do want to keep writing to the folks who have written to me. However, I'd want all InCoWriMo threads or blog posts that display addresses to be deleted at the end of the month. I'm fine with my new penpals having my address, but nobody else for the rest of the year. And I hope that someday, we could have a "walled garden" mailing address list so that if we want to find new penpals anytime of the year, the list will be there for us.

writingrav
February 19th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I can't seem to find your name and address on the list therox. So if you're up for one more correspondent PM your info to me.

chaimann
February 20th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I photographed a handwritten status on National Handwriting Day.

TheRoXFiles
February 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I've been handwriting statuses on and off with InCoWriMo. Originally, I was planning on doing a kind of blog on a steno pad, but I got too busy and haven't kept up with it. Besides...I learned that my Facebook friends don't really care what I handwrite. It's bizarre...I think that if I wanted to keep something private, all I'd have to do is write it down because people don't seem to have the patience for reading handwritten things.

On the other hand: I think this idea of handwriting statuses would work if more people did it. When it's just one person, the results get pretty depressing very fast.

caribbean_skye
February 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Yeah, to echo WritingRav's sentiments, I'd love to drop you a line and if you'd like to hear from me, pls PM me your address.

Thanks.

Toffer
February 21st, 2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah, to echo WritingRav's sentiments, I'd love to drop you a line and if you'd like to hear from me, pls PM me your address.

Thanks.

+1 I can then add another Safari user to my list!!

vhr5
February 21st, 2013, 07:26 PM
I would also like some version of InCoWriMo to continue. Although I have not received as many letters and postcards as I hoped or imagined, I have appreciated every one that I have received. To every correspondence that I have received in the mail, I have sent a letter or card in return. In this process, I hope that I have made or will potentially make a few new friends or penpals.

It would be disappointing to end all correspondence on the 28th of this month. Although e-mail or texting may be faster means of communication between two or more people, there is something quite pleasing about receiving a handwritten letter from someone who took a moment to sit down, compose their thoughts, and put pen to paper. Some effort had to be made, it wasn't a simple means of pushing a few buttons.

I enjoy using my fountain pens, but in a world of smartphones, text messages, and other forms of electronic communication, the most that I use my fountain pens for is to take notes at meetings, redline shop drawings, or sign documents. Perhaps one day I may keep a personal written journal, but for now InCoWriMo has given me the most opportunity to use my pens, inks, and stationary everyday.

Therefore, I am open to anyone who would be interesting in corresponding with me after the 28th (at a slower pace, of course).

Carole
February 21st, 2013, 07:52 PM
I would also like some version of InCoWriMo to continue. Although I have not received as many letters and postcards as I hoped or imagined, I have appreciated every one that I have received. To every correspondence that I have received in the mail, I have sent a letter or card in return. In this process, I hope that I have made or will potentially make a few new friends or penpals.

It would be disappointing to end all correspondence on the 28th of this month. Although e-mail or texting may be faster means of communication between two or more people, there is something quite pleasing about receiving a handwritten letter from someone who took a moment to sit down, compose their thoughts, and put pen to paper. Some effort had to be made, it wasn't a simple means of pushing a few buttons.

I enjoy using my fountain pens, but in a world of smartphones, text messages, and other forms of electronic communication, the most that I use my fountain pens for is to take notes at meetings, redline shop drawings, or sign documents. Perhaps one day I may keep a personal written journal, but for now InCoWriMo has given me the most opportunity to use my pens, inks, and stationary everyday.

Therefore, I am open to anyone who would be interesting in corresponding with me after the 28th (at a slower pace, of course).

Hey vhr5, I'd be happy to send you something....I started a bit late, so it might arrive after the 28th. I think you're in the part of Ohio where the Zanerian College was, maybe? Now I think of it, I may have forgotten to put my address in the right thread, but I'll find you over there and try to compose some mailable thoughts!

TheRoXFiles
February 21st, 2013, 08:31 PM
I'm definitely open to continuing to correspond past the end of this month--just without the quota. Other challenges or activities of some kind, sure, but not a quota.

That reminds me...for InCoWriMo next year, I'd like to suggest the addition of "icebreaker" writing prompts or activities to help smooth the way toward writing letters to strangers, in particular. Something not involving fountain pens, though. Talking shop is always an option, but how about going at least a little past that to just talk? A little extra guidance would help with that. :)

vhr5
February 22nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hey vhr5, I'd be happy to send you something....I started a bit late, so it might arrive after the 28th. I think you're in the part of Ohio where the Zanerian College was, maybe? Now I think of it, I may have forgotten to put my address in the right thread, but I'll find you over there and try to compose some mailable thoughts!

Thank you, I look forward to your correspondence.

Trixie.in.Dixie
February 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM

I feel special now because I'm one of those few, and we have written to each other twice already! :)

southpaw52
February 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
I have received letters, that I will continue corresponding to.
I enjoy writing to people all over the world via postcard or a letter. I think this month is a staring point of making new friends, that share the love fountain pens. In this fast paced world of everything instant, it is great to sit down and write a letter.

caribbean_skye
February 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM

Agreed! I know I tend to reply fairly quickly and that's because if I don't I'll forget. Plus I get such a "high" reading the letters that emails and text messages don't seem to give me. Don't worry Vhr5, I'm sure you'll get more letters before the month is out.

I'm definitely open to continuing to correspond past the end of this month--just without the quota. Other challenges or activities of some kind, sure, but not a quota.

That reminds me...for InCoWriMo next year, I'd like to suggest the addition of "icebreaker" writing prompts or activities to help smooth the way toward writing letters to strangers, in particular. Something not involving fountain pens, though. Talking shop is always an option, but how about going at least a little past that to just talk? A little extra guidance would help with that. :)

I think that's a good idea, sometimes besides shop talk. Maybe we could do a theme week or month? I know in most of the letters where I initially wrote, I rarely said anything about fountain pens, mainly because I like to ramble. Although wouldn't it be fun if every day was a different theme. I'm sure some could get quite creative. Eric?!?!

TheRoXFiles
February 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
I think that's a good idea, sometimes besides shop talk. Maybe we could do a theme week or month? I know in most of the letters where I initially wrote, I rarely said anything about fountain pens, mainly because I like to ramble. Although wouldn't it be fun if every day was a different theme. I'm sure some could get quite creative. Eric?!?!

I was thinking the same thing. What I had in mind was something of a cross between creative writing and writing to penpals. I think it'd be interesting. :)

I think that for best results, if we have writing prompts or activities of some kind, they have to work well with folks who are writing to strangers as well as friends--like, if strangers want to use these prompts or activities to break the ice, great! But if friends want to use these activities just to have something to talk about and, perhaps, learn something new about each other, that's great too. I also wouldn't want these prompts or activities to be too...constricting, I guess? It's important that we get to say what we want to say, and on our terms. I wouldn't want anyone to feel that the activities or prompts should have to dominate any letter we write. I think they should only be a springboard for conversation, not a template or foundation for writing full letters.

TonyJones
February 23rd, 2013, 02:11 AM
I didn't jump onto InCoWriMo, noticed it too late, so would love to be able to write to people and receive mail. I can't remember the last time I received hand written letters in the post.

Not to keen on posting up my address for all the world to see though, so I'd have to dish it out privately.

I like Rox's idea of themes or challenges, makes it seem a little more fun.

Where do I sign up?

caribbean_skye
February 23rd, 2013, 10:40 AM
I didn't jump onto InCoWriMo, noticed it too late, so would love to be able to write to people and receive mail. I can't remember the last time I received hand written letters in the post.

Not to keen on posting up my address for all the world to see though, so I'd have to dish it out privately.

Yes, I did notice you didn't offer up your address. After your other posts re: biscuits I already had a mental letter to you all written out but alas no address. Hehe. I guess you could have always done as some others did and either a) initiated the letters or b) stated that if people were interested to PM you privately for said info.

woosang
February 24th, 2013, 01:33 AM

I like Rox's idea of themes or challenges, makes it seem a little more fun.

Where do I sign up?

You can write to me and I would be happy to reply. My address is above in this thread (earlier pages I think )

:-)
Yvonne

TheRoXFiles
February 24th, 2013, 07:58 AM
This video gave me an odd idea for something I'd want to see in the future, perhaps, for an "icebreaker" activity....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-high-u&v=rvKF8OSnqrM

runnyrunny999 makes cooking videos, but he also receives packages of candies and snacks from viewers every once in a while. He tries the treats out and...well. Apparently he doesn't take too kindly to boozy chocolates (they taste like fish?!?!) or licorice. And I love how he went on a bit about how much he likes Daim chocolate, then took a deep sniff of that packet of Daim chocolate and was like: "Smells like dog food!" XD

Anyway--I know that the cost of sending things out to people has to be considered here. So, as a possible icebreaker activity, I had this in mind just now: Think of at least one of your shiny new InCoWriMo penpals. (Not all your penpals, unless you're willing to spend the money.) Consider sharing one favorite candy bar or one other small edible treat of some kind that you think will survive a trip through the mail. Preferably, try choosing something that you don't think the recipient has ever eaten before so it's something completely new. Along with this one small treat, include a handwritten letter. You can say whatever you want in the letter, but be sure to explain what the included treat is, too.

I think this would be so neat to try out. I think it's relatively inexpensive to do, as far as activities go. And it'd be real nice to keep the bar low in terms of requirements: Think of at least one of your new penpals. Buy one candy bar or other treat. That's it. If you'd want to go further than that, by all means, do it. This would be up to you. But at the very least, try this once.

vhr5
February 24th, 2013, 08:23 AM
This video gave me an odd idea for something I'd want to see in the future, perhaps, for an "icebreaker" activity....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-high-u&v=rvKF8OSnqrM

runnyrunny999 makes cooking videos, but he also receives packages of candies and snacks from viewers every once in a while. He tries the treats out and...well. Apparently he doesn't take too kindly to boozy chocolates (they taste like fish?!?!) or licorice. And I love how he went on a bit about how much he likes Daim chocolate, then took a deep sniff of that packet of Daim chocolate and was like: "Smells like dog food!" XD

Anyway--I know that the cost of sending things out to people has to be considered here. So, as a possible icebreaker activity, I had this in mind just now: Think of at least one of your shiny new InCoWriMo penpals. (Not all your penpals, unless you're willing to spend the money.) Consider sharing one favorite candy bar or one other small edible treat of some kind that you think will survive a trip through the mail. Preferably, try choosing something that you don't think the recipient has ever eaten before so it's something completely new. Along with this one small treat, include a handwritten letter. You can say whatever you want in the letter, but be sure to explain what the included treat is, too.

I think this would be so neat to try out. I think it's relatively inexpensive to do, as far as activities go. And it'd be real nice to keep the bar low in terms of requirements: Think of at least one of your new penpals. Buy one candy bar or other treat. That's it. If you'd want to go further than that, by all means, do it. This would be up to you. But at the very least, try this once.

Cool idea, Rox! I like the idea of attaching a short comment or written story behind what was sent. It would be a cool icebreaker too!

TheRoXFiles
February 24th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Cool idea, Rox! I like the idea of attaching a short comment or written story behind what was sent. It would be a cool icebreaker too!

I really like this idea, too. We may not know each other all that well, but I think that one thing that we all have in common is: When it's snack time or it's time for a small treat, we all have a favorite candy bar or bag of chips or something that we reach for. The candies or chips or whatever will be different, depending on where we come from and what we like. But we all have this in common, at least--so let's start there. And it's interesting learning about any country or community by eating the food native to that area...even if it's food we're familiar with. For instance: In Japan, Oreos have been made and sold out there. But they're a little less sweet compared to American Oreos. And just as we gaijin (foreigners) love Pocky, the Japanese love Kit-Kat bars. But in Japan, they make all kinds cool flavors of Kit-Kat that we'll never see in the US, like green tea, sweet potato, blood orange, choco-banana, or...ahem...wasabi. Or miso.

The only thing I'd feel bad about with this kind of activity is that we'd be forced to play favorites in terms of who would be getting the treats. I mean...there are ways to get around this, sorta--like, buy a bag of fun-sized candy bars and add those to the letters instead of full-sized candies so it's more likely that everyone would get something--but then there's still the price of packaging and postage to consider. I know that earlier in this thread, the cost of postage for "InCoWriMo all year" has been a major sticking point, and rightfully so--quite frankly, it's going to get way too expensive to send a letter every single day for the rest of the year. If it were me, I wouldn't want to push anyone to spend more than they'd have to for something like the icebreaker activity I'm suggesting. But it also stinks that yeah...to some extent, depending on how many pen pals we have, we might be forced to play favorites.

magnesium68
February 24th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I'm against the idea of sending or receiving food from strangers, a crazy nut case who like rollerball could mail poison chocolate bars and send a bunch of fountain geeks to the hospital.

Until i have my private taster like Ceasar , count me out on this.

TheRoXFiles
February 24th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I'm against the idea of sending or receiving food from strangers, a crazy nut case who like rollerball could mail poison chocolate bars and send a bunch of fountain geeks to the hospital.

Until i have my private taster like Ceasar , count me out on this.

I used to think the same thing myself, until I saw runnyrunny999 and this one other YouTube user, Emmymadeinjapan, receive all these packages from viewers. Emmy, especially, receives lots of packages of treats from all over the world. She didn't ask for them--viewers just felt like sending her their favorite treats after watching her videos on her favorite snacks from Japan (her family's native country and where she was living until a few years ago). So these total strangers were willing to send Emmy foods, and she was willing to eat them. There was a certain amount of trust involved...just as I know there has been a certain amount of trust involved with publicly posting our addresses for InCoWriMo.

In terms of using this sort of thing as an icebreaker activity: Well, firstly, I think that if people felt good enough to publicly share their mailing addresses for InCoWriMo...that they were sharing their addresses in good faith and goodwill...then sending a single snack or candy through the mail isn't that big of a step forward. Besides, by the line of reasoning in the quoted post, then I shouldn't trust anything I get from the Goulet Pen Company, for instance, because they always include Dum-Dum lollipops in their packages--and I have never received candy, unsolicited and unexpected, from an online store before. Ever. Because I wasn't expecting that candy, I shouldn't trust Goulet Pens and should get a food taster to make absolutely sure this business is on the up-and-up and isn't trying to poison me. Right? :)

Secondly: If you want to talk about poisoning people or doing harm to them, you don't need food to do that. You could tamper with just about anything...including fountain pens, and including inks and other things...and send it through the mail. I understand the need to be cautious, but it's real easy to get downright paranoid with something like this, too, if you have absolutely no trust in the penpals you're writing to.

Thirdly: I think that for something like this, it'd be wise to stick to the same rules we use for Halloween trick-or-treating. No homemade things. Only pre-packaged name-brand items that are fully-sealed and from the manufacturer. If you don't trust the treat you got in the mail, don't eat it, period.

And finally: This is where it's a plus to set the bar very low for something like this and send something to ONE person. Pick the penpal you trust the most--both for sending and receiving. If you receive something from anyone else, then just trash it. Done. Read their letter, respond if you wish, but be sure politely explain that you didn't trust the treat they sent you and you threw it out.

fountainpenkid
February 24th, 2013, 10:55 AM
With the food, it really depends. If I "know" the person well from these forums, I wouldn't employ a taster...but if I get a random candy in the mail from someone I don't know of (and more importantly others don't know of either), then I would most certainly not eat it. My sister ate the lolipop I got in a package from the Goulets.

TheRoXFiles
February 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hmm...then I'd think certain extra rules would need to be in order for something like this. Unsolicited treats should not be accepted. No surprises. Off the top of my head, I was thinking that maybe PM's might be in order here--a heads up saying what is coming. Maybe even pictures of what will get sent? But aside from sucking all the surprises and fun out of something like this, I can't tell if this is overkill or not. If people really would be this concerned but would want to try something like this anyway, then these concerns would have to be addressed somehow or other, right?

As for the Goulet lollipops? I eat them because those are the exact same lollipops we have at the bank where I work. Every teller has a jar of these by their station. It was no big deal to me. *shrug*

Type40
February 24th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Don't know if anyone in the group is a Ham (Amateur radio operator) or been around one but they have competitions and events that may be a source for ideas. Like us it is about making contact with someone using a specific communication method. One that I thought of when we first started InCoWriMo was trying to contact someone in every country, or every state, or ...
Some of the crazier people even take generators and portable setups to islands just so that people can contact that location (collecting Postmarks?).
I agree that like NaNoWriMo, 365 or 52 Photo challenges, and every other similar challenge are designed to give people a reason to do something that they enjoy but for one reason or another can't justify the time. The end of the specific time doesn't mean you stop doing it. It just means that hopefully you are now in the habit or have worked out a way to do the thing you enjoy and still get things done.
I think we should start a new thread with each entry be a name and short description of a challenge idea, then they can either be put into a poll questions or voted on in some fashion. Once the next challenge is picked, we can work out the details.

I have really enjoyed participating in InCoWriMo and figure that there will be echo correspondence going in and out of my mail box for a while. Which is a very nice thought.

caribbean_skye
February 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM
My issue with the idea of sending treats is that you never know what is restricted in another country. For instance, you're not allowed to mail kinder eggs into the US. For me, I'd prefer something not food related, at least not initially.

TheRoXFiles
February 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
My issue with the idea of sending treats is that you never know what is restricted in another country. For instance, you're not allowed to mail kinder eggs into the US. For me, I'd prefer something not food related, at least not initially.

It stinks that we can't have Kinder eggs here in the US, doesn't it? :( I'd seen them in Emmymadeinjapan's videos and thought they were so cool. I kept looking for them and couldn't find them. It wasn't until this past summer, while I was out in Canada for a weekend, that I found out why. Long story short: I saw a three-pack of them at a convenience store and felt like I'd found the Holy Grail. I considered buying them but didn't because I had two choices: either gobble up all the eggs that night, before going back into the US, or try bringing them back with me. I chose to not buy the eggs because my commitment to Weight Watchers beat out my love of chocolate...I'd only want to eat one egg, not be forced to gobble down three just because...and taking them back to the US wasn't going to work because it was so hot out and I didn't think they'd make it back home without turning into a big, melted chocolaty mess. Anyway, it was a good thing I didn't go for the Kinder eggs because I learned about how they're verboten in the US after a couple other guys got in trouble for trying to smuggle the eggs over the border over the July 4th weekend. Each egg nets a $300 fine, right?

Anyway...I think there's a lot that can get sent through the mail and into other countries. I'd point to Emmymadeinjapan and her "Emmy Eats" videos as evidence of that. Anything from, oh...roughly six months ago, after she moved back to the US from Japan?...is fair game. Likewise, in giveaways, Emmy's been able to send Japanese treats and small packets of American candy out to winners.

magnesium68
February 24th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Why not the INKICOWRIMO? (international killer correspondence writing month, choose your favorite psychokiller stuck on deathrow and try to get a letter out of him or her. No danger there , they will never get out alive!

Dear charles manson etc etc ehehheeh!

caribbean_skye
February 24th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Don't know if anyone in the group is a Ham (Amateur radio operator) or been around one but they have competitions and events that may be a source for ideas. Like us it is about making contact with someone using a specific communication method. One that I thought of when we first started InCoWriMo was trying to contact someone in every country, or every state, or ...
Some of the crazier people even take generators and portable setups to islands just so that people can contact that location (collecting Postmarks?).
I agree that like NaNoWriMo, 365 or 52 Photo challenges, and every other similar challenge are designed to give people a reason to do something that they enjoy but for one reason or another can't justify the time. The end of the specific time doesn't mean you stop doing it. It just means that hopefully you are now in the habit or have worked out a way to do the thing you enjoy and still get things done.
I think we should start a new thread with each entry be a name and short description of a challenge idea, then they can either be put into a poll questions or voted on in some fashion. Once the next challenge is picked, we can work out the details.

I have really enjoyed participating in InCoWriMo and figure that there will be echo correspondence going in and out of my mail box for a while. Which is a very nice thought.

Not a HAM operator (when I was going for my license eons ago you needed to pass the morse code test, think they've since changed that) but used to hang out with the group and was an honorary member of the one back home at the time. I loved their challenges and it was awesome when we were able to make contact with people from Ohio and even Alaska (although that one sometimes required relay messages).

snedwos
February 25th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Why not the INKICOWRIMO? (international killer correspondence writing month, choose your favorite psychokiller stuck on deathrow and try to get a letter out of him or her. No danger there , they will never get out alive!

That's macabre...

fountainpenkid
February 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM

lol.

TheRoXFiles
February 26th, 2013, 04:01 PM
...riiiiiiiiiight.

Anyway--personally, I had one other idea as a challenge:

Let's take a leaf from the Internet and try "replying with quotes" on paper...which isn't a new idea if you've ever done a "round robin" story in person with a group of people. Or actually--why not try doing a round robin story via mail? It's been a long time since I've done this myself, via email, but it's fun.

The basic idea with a round robin, at least, is that each person writes one sentence of a story on a sheet of paper (or in a blank email...), then passes that piece of paper or sends that email off to someone else to continue it. We can always tweak the number of sentences each person is allowed to write per turn. I figure that if this works with stories, it just might work with regular letter writing, too...just have to figure out what else should be involved.

KrazyIvan
February 27th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'd be willing on a pen pal type level but maybe not the InCoWriMo level requirements.

TonyJones
February 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I'm with Mr. Ivan, penpals sounds much better. My busy schedule of work, sleep and eating biscuits doesn't leave me much time to write.

Ayla
February 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I second the notion :D

TheRoXFiles
February 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Personally, I thought it was understood that we would all continue to write to our new penpals from tomorrow on out--not write to everyone participating in InCoWriMo, regardless of add-on activities or challenges of some kind that get could get thrown into the mix into the future. O.o

caribbean_skye
February 28th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Personally, I thought it was understood that we would all continue to write to our new penpals from tomorrow on out--not write to everyone participating in InCoWriMo, regardless of add-on activities or challenges of some kind that get could get thrown into the mix into the future. O.o

Well, I think there are several separate issues. Some people chose to write to a LOT of people and others didn't, such is their prerogative. Continuing to correspond beyond the 28 days will probably be up to the individuals involved. As far as sending stuff in the mail to someone, and other things suggested, weren't we talking about next year? If I'm not mistaken, Ivan wasn't suggesting to stop writing, but maybe not at the same pace and the sending/receiving stuff in the mail would be to someone you're already somewhat comfortable with and know sort of what they'd like and not to 28 somewhat random people.

I could be wrong...

TheRoXFiles
February 28th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Well, I think there are several separate issues. Some people chose to write to a LOT of people and others didn't, such is their prerogative. Continuing to correspond beyond the 28 days will probably be up to the individuals involved. As far as sending stuff in the mail to someone, and other things suggested, weren't we talking about next year? If I'm not mistaken, Ivan wasn't suggesting to stop writing, but maybe not at the same pace and the sending/receiving stuff in the mail would be to someone you're already somewhat comfortable with and know sort of what they'd like and not to 28 somewhat random people.

I could be wrong...

Well...I'm not sure that anyone in charge of InCoWriMo...uh, if there's someone actually in charge of this--not sure...has decided what to do with the address list, right? I deleted mine from my comment at the InCoWriMo blog the other day and edited it to let people know to leave me a PM here at FP Geeks.

Or else...is it just up to us from here on out? But is it wrong to continue using the address list from tomorrow onward...?

fountainpenkid
February 28th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I think Eric (the FPGeek who runs it) said he'd remove the addresses of the InCoWriMo site once it is over. I might be wrong. I don't mind if it stays, as I just used my P.O box...

TheRoXFiles
February 28th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I learned through experience and a bit of sleuthing that it's not as dangerous as one would think to share a home address. One thing I did before I decided to add my address was, I Googled it to see if it was there. Sure enough, there were at least two solid pages of search matches--mostly from realtor sites, although my parents have never been looking to sell the house. One even named my dad as the owner. And after throwing my hat into the ring, the InCoWriMo blog page never showed up--and I'm guessing it's because the settings were changed so that it wouldn't end up in Google, at least.

The other thing I did was ask my coworkers first, and my mom second. I've worked with a sub-department that handles ID theft, and from what I've known from experience there, you do need more than just a street address to do some financial damage of some kind. I also asked Mom for some advice because she's an accountant at another bank, too. She was iffy on what could be done with just a street address and nothing more, like an SSN or canceled checks or statements, but she pointed out she'd had her purse stolen years ago, which included her driver's license, and nothing happened. And a few years ago, some business called "A-24-7 Locksmith" tried using my parents' address as theirs. The most they got in the mail was credit card offers of some kind, and all they had to do was call up those companies and have them put it in their records that the address was wrong and there was no business there. Plus Mom said she's friends with the mailman, so she talked about it with him, too, and wrote "return to sender" on that mail, then sent it back.

eriquito
February 28th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I think Eric (the FPGeek who runs it) said he'd remove the addresses of the InCoWriMo site once it is over. I might be wrong. I don't mind if it stays, as I just used my P.O box...

Nope, never said that. Removing all the addresses that have been shared in so many different areas would be quite an undertaking - and I could never be sure I found every address.

Addresses shared in the forum or in the comments at InCoWriMo will stay - unless the original poster edits/deletes them.

eriquito
February 28th, 2013, 06:51 PM
I've created a post that I'm hoping will become a gathering place for InCo's interested in corresponding year round to gather:

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1824-InCo-Pen-Pals

I've shared my mailing address there. Feel free to write. Anytime! =)

LunaAzurina
February 2nd, 2014, 10:25 PM
I would love to participate in this idea, as long as the ending correspondent published the result!
...riiiiiiiiiight.

Anyway--personally, I had one other idea as a challenge:

Let's take a leaf from the Internet and try "replying with quotes" on paper...which isn't a new idea if you've ever done a "round robin" story in person with a group of people. Or actually--why not try doing a round robin story via mail? It's been a long time since I've done this myself, via email, but it's fun.

The basic idea with a round robin, at least, is that each person writes one sentence of a story on a sheet of paper (or in a blank email...), then passes that piece of paper or sends that email off to someone else to continue it. We can always tweak the number of sentences each person is allowed to write per turn. I figure that if this works with stories, it just might work with regular letter writing, too...just have to figure out what else should be involved.