PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Recommendations For Another Yellowy Ink

datainadequate
September 13th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I love yellow and orange colours, and I've been looking out for a yellow ink that is dark enough to write with. I decided to buy Diamine Sunshine Yellow, and yesterday I got the opportunity to use it. I am very pleased with the results. Using my trusty M-nib Safari, my writing is clearly legible, aided by a nice degree of shading.

But now I've had a taste of a good thing I want more. I want another, different, yellowy ink. Diamine Sunshine Yellow is probably as light a shade as I can comfortably read, so I'm really looking for something darker. I know at this point I'm into the territory of yellow/orange, yellow/green or yellow/tan, but that's fine. What do you recommend?

p.s. I already have some Lamy Copper Orange, so I'm hoping to find a different shade to that.

p.p.s. I have read Chrissy's informative reviews on Diamine Amber and Diamine Marigold, but I think they, and the other inks mentioned therein, are lighter than Sunshine Yellow. But I'm happy to be corrected.

rdcalhoon
September 13th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I have not tried Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus but I quite like the R&K inks I have tried. Looks like Helianthus may be just a touch darker than Sunshine.

mcorrea
September 14th, 2016, 08:31 AM
It's my very first yellowy ink and I just got it in the mail a couple of hours ago, but I'm liking it very much: Noodler's Apache Sunset.

notsim
September 14th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Sailor Kobe #21

VertOlive
September 14th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Noodler's "Rome Burning" Is a dark gold to my eye.

Sammyo
September 14th, 2016, 09:53 PM
I have not tried Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus but I quite like the R&K inks I have tried. Looks like Helianthus may be just a touch darker than Sunshine.

I would agree with that, R&K Helianthus goes down VERY yellow, but darkens as it dries.

DaveT
September 15th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Have you considered J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie? It is a golden yellow.

datainadequate
September 21st, 2016, 12:57 PM
Many thanks for all the excellent suggestions. I suspect I may end up buying a couple of these, but the one I have absolutely fallen for is Sailor Kobe #21 Taisan-ji Yellow, after seeing this review (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/290237-sailor-kobe-21-taisanji-yellow/). I didn't even know Sailor Kobe inks existed until now. Now I'm signing up to Rakuten so I can buy a bottle. :bounce:

Chrissy
September 21st, 2016, 02:25 PM
I love yellow and orange colours, and I've been looking out for a yellow ink that is dark enough to write with. I decided to buy Diamine Sunshine Yellow, and yesterday I got the opportunity to use it. I am very pleased with the results. Using my trusty M-nib Safari, my writing is clearly legible, aided by a nice degree of shading.

But now I've had a taste of a good thing I want more. I want another, different, yellowy ink. Diamine Sunshine Yellow is probably as light a shade as I can comfortably read, so I'm really looking for something darker. I know at this point I'm into the territory of yellow/orange, yellow/green or yellow/tan, but that's fine. What do you recommend?

p.s. I already have some Lamy Copper Orange, so I'm hoping to find a different shade to that.

p.p.s. I have read Chrissy's informative reviews on Diamine Amber and Diamine Marigold, but I think they, and the other inks mentioned therein, are lighter than Sunshine Yellow. But I'm happy to be corrected.

I love Sunshine Yellow. It's my favourite yellow ink. I use it a lot for mixing, and it's very easy to make it into a replica of Sailor Apricot.

Diamine Marigold isn't the same type of bright yellow though, it's much more of an orangey yellow. In fact Diamine Marigold is the closest shade to Sailor Apricot that I found before Sailor re-released Kin mokusei. Diamine Marigold has the advantage of being less expensive though, in a 30ml refill bottle. :)

datainadequate
September 23rd, 2016, 11:37 AM
I love Sunshine Yellow. It's my favourite yellow ink. I use it a lot for mixing, and it's very easy to make it into a replica of Sailor Apricot.

Diamine Marigold isn't the same type of bright yellow though, it's much more of an orangey yellow. In fact Diamine Marigold is the closest shade to Sailor Apricot that I found before Sailor re-released Kin mokusei. Diamine Marigold has the advantage of being less expensive though, in a 30ml refill bottle. :)

Ooh, I may just have to buy a bottle of Diamine Marigold now... :)

mtnbiker62
September 23rd, 2016, 01:24 PM
If you haven't purchased Kobe No. 21 yet, it is also available from cool-japan on eBay. :)

datainadequate
September 23rd, 2016, 02:10 PM
If you haven't purchased Kobe No. 21 yet, it is also available from cool-japan on eBay. :)

Thank you. Given my love of Japanese stationery, I decided it was time to try shopping via Rakuten, but it's good to know about the alternatives :)

HoLmeslice
September 29th, 2016, 02:34 PM
I've got a recommendation for you, which could help your quest: Callifolio Heure Dorée. I picked up a sample vial from those fine people at Vanness Pens, for inks-perimentation purposes, and was surprised by how great it is. It's a bit muted in color, but it shades wonderfully and is easy to clean.

Also, if you're up for it, I've got a bottle of an discontinued Omas ink, Triratna Saffron (an orange quite similar in color to Sailor Apricot), which I'm to too keen on. So, in an effort to deplete my stash, I'd be willing to part with some for you. Your call, of course... PM me if you're interested, and good luck with your ink quest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

datainadequate
September 29th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I've got a recommendation for you, which could help your quest: Callifolio Heure Dorée. I picked up a sample vial from those fine people at Vanness Pens, for inks-perimentation purposes, and was surprised by how great it is. It's a bit muted in color, but it shades wonderfully and is easy to clean.

Also, if you're up for it, I've got a bottle of an discontinued Omas ink, Triratna Saffron (an orange quite similar in color to Sailor Apricot), which I'm to too keen on. So, in an effort to deplete my stash, I'd be willing to part with some for you. Your call, of course... PM me if you're interested, and good luck with your ink quest!

Many thanks for the Callifolio recommendation. I hadn't heard of this manufacturer before, and this does look like an interesting ink.

I will PM you regarding the Triratna Saffron.

FredRydr
September 29th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Sheaffer King's Gold.

Fred

youstruckgold
September 30th, 2016, 05:34 AM
MB GOlden Yellow is a stunner!

datainadequate
September 30th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Sheaffer King's Gold.

Interesting, but it looks like they stopped making it a while ago, and it seems pretty difficult to get hold of now :(