PDA

View Full Version : Hello world!

Kurus
September 18th, 2016, 04:19 AM
Hello everyone,
my name is Kuruš that is an ancient form of the modern name "Ciro" (for the italians) or "Cyrus" so call me however you like. I'm from Castellammare di Stabia, a town in the Naples provence in south Italy, and I've moved in london a few months ago where I work as an engineer.

I've always felt the fashion of the good handwriting and the beauty of a pen but hasn't became a passion until January 2015 when the grandfather I was named after died. He didn't leave me a precious pen as usually happens in these stories but he left a lot of memories in everyone about his magnificent handwriting.

Since I'm his heir I felt as a responsibility to him to improve my really bad handwriting and I started searching on the Internet examples of handwriting and... That's basically how I discovered that fountain pens were still in use and my sleeping passion woke up.

My first fountain pen was a Baoer filled with a purple ink for printers, at that time obviously that pen didn't write well so I decided to buy a "better" pen, a Parker Vector.
The Vector filled with the same ink didn't write good aswell so the problem was clear...

My very first bottle of ink was a black Parker Quink. Now I know that it isn't a very good ink but at least my pens started writing with that.

Several months after I've bought my first gold nib pen, a 1968 capless, and started to use Sundays as pen-hunting day in the markets with two young inside friends of mine met on the Internet on an Italian forum.

Massimo and Alfredo (the two not so young friends) teached me a lot about vintage pens and how to find them and thanks to them, one year after my grandfather's death, on our nameday (in south Italy we really celebrate namedays) I've found the pen I'm most fond of, a 1993 (my birth year) MontBlanc 149 I named "Anastasia" as the youngest of my aunts, the last daughter of the last Zar and my first love.

Now that I live in london I've met a few geeks at the last Pelikan hub that invited me at the next pen show so I'm here to meet other geeks, find details about the pen show and make some new pen-friends. :)

Oh, I've really written a lot!
I hope I've not been too boring.

Greetings,
Kuruš

jar
September 18th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I have a soft spot for the Italian fountain pens; those from Omas and Aurora and Monetgrappa and Signum and Grifos and Ferrari da Varese and Delta.

snowbear
September 18th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Welcome aboard.

Anne
September 18th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Lovely post Kurus - Welcome!

oldstoat
September 18th, 2016, 03:08 PM
It was great to meet you at the Pelikan Hub, Kurus. Hope to see you at the Pen Show on October 2nd. It goes without saying that you're welcome at all the Geeks' meetings at the Bierschenke.

WmEdwards
September 18th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Welcome Kurus!

Kurus
September 19th, 2016, 02:30 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I have a soft spot for the Italian fountain pens; those from Omas and Aurora and Monetgrappa and Signum and Grifos and Ferrari da Varese and Delta.
Hello and many thanks for your welcome.
I have a problem understanding "Pull up a stump and set a spell", it's a common saying. Isn't it?
Once I'll have well understood how this forum works (you know, matching the content with the section) I'll show some Italian pens I think you'll like.

It was great to meet you at the Pelikan Hub, Kurus. Hope to see you at the Pen Show on October 2nd. It goes without saying that you're welcome at all the Geeks' meetings at the Bierschenke.
Hello,
I'm really pleased to have met you all at the hub.
I'll come for sure at the geeks' meetings. Is the restaurant the one in Bloomsbury street? Every first sathurday of the month?

Thank you all. :)

Morgaine
September 19th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Hello and welcome.

Hawk
September 19th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Welcome.