PDA

View Full Version : Parker Vacumatic broken section

digitalbrush
September 18th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Just bought a Parker Vacumatic to restore. When I went to unscrew the section from the body, I found the part of the section that had the threads has basically snapped off with only one or two thread lines left on the section itself. The part that snapped off is still stuck in the body of the pen. Trying to figure out how to get it unscrewed out of the body. Does anyone have any suggestions to secure it back onto the section? Epoxy? Gorilla Glue? Or have a recommendation on where to buy a replacement section? Much thanks for help.

Farmboy
September 18th, 2016, 09:24 PM
You will need a replacement section.

Picture will help identify which section you need.

digitalbrush
September 18th, 2016, 11:40 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/ef73aa807f436823e26d7776f0a058a8.jpg

It's the emerald pearl. About 5 And 1/4" when capped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2016, 12:44 AM

Hey, Boy of the Farm! How come the section is stacked celluloid (i.e. not black), the cap has three bands, but the pen DOESN'T have a lockdown filler? Later repair to filler, or were there 'transitional' 1st Gen pens, or ???

thDon't deny me my answer, this is important.

Farmboy
September 19th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Hey, Boy of the Farm! How come the section is stacked celluloid (i.e. not black), the cap has three bands, but the pen DOESN'T have a lockdown filler? Later repair to filler, or were there 'transitional' 1st Gen pens, or ???

I too would expect a lock down filler and short blind cap. With this section welding followed by boring out and installing a sleeve is an option for when you can't find someone to sell you a correct section. I'd guesstimate that section to be a 50 item assuming you can find one making the weld and sleeve approach somewhat attractive though not a trivial repair.

Farmboy
September 19th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Also note that the diaphragm appears to be longer that needed.

ac12
September 19th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Jon, I have a first year 51 with the wrong filler.
FB suspects that the filler was "swapped" when it went in for servicing many years ago. A filler is a filler. So, possible in this case also.

Or being suspicious, the repairer may have replaced the lockdown with a plastic filler, to keep the lockdown for himself, and told the owner that the original filler was damaged and had to be replaced.

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys. I was pretty sure there was some sort of mismatch going on here.

Sad parallel story: I thought I had just landed the last of my 1st gens (silver), but when the pen arrived, dutiful inspection turned up not one but two cracks at the butt end from a ham-fisted filler repair. I consider myself lucky that the seller was exceedingly accommodating, not only refunding purchase but my shipping as well. My hunt continues.

digitalbrush
September 19th, 2016, 09:43 PM

I too would expect a lock down filler and short blind cap. With this section welding followed by boring out and installing a sleeve is an option for when you can't find someone to sell you a correct section. I'd guesstimate that section to be a 50 item assuming you can find one making the weld and sleeve approach somewhat attractive though not a trivial repair.

I have no idea. I only have a cursory knowledge of Parker Vacumatics from what I gleaned from Richard Binder's website. Bought this particular one because I liked the weight and balance in my hand.

Also note that the diaphragm appears to be longer that needed.

Is it too long? This is part of the restoration I'm doing on the pen. Richard Binder's website says to cut it between 26-27mm, and so I cut it at the 27mm mark.

Jon, I have a first year 51 with the wrong filler.
FB suspects that the filler was "swapped" when it went in for servicing many years ago. A filler is a filler. So, possible in this case also.

Or being suspicious, the repairer may have replaced the lockdown with a plastic filler, to keep the lockdown for himself, and told the owner that the original filler was damaged and had to be replaced.

Is this a first gen that should have a lock-down filler? I was kind of thrown off when I saw the plastic. I just assumed it was what it was supposed to be. I would love to have a lock-down filler on this pen. They look and feel more sturdy than the flimsy plastic ones.

digitalbrush
September 19th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Farmboy, what do you mean that this is a 50 item? Also, am I looking at a complicated section replacement? I do see that many vacumatics are plain black... does this mean there aren't matching sections? Am I going to have to get some kind of custom replacement job on this?

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Farmboy, what do you mean that this is a 50 item? Also, am I looking at a complicated section replacement? I do see that many vacumatics are plain black... does this mean there aren't matching sections? Am I going to have to get some kind of custom replacement job on this?

What he meant is that a matching section will probably cost around $50. Once you get the part that is still in place out, screwing in the new one won't be difficult. The reason you see Vacs with black sections is that you have a model that was made in the first couple of years, a "1st Generation" Vac, and they are identified (partially) by a matching section. Shortly after, they started using black sections. The pen will not be in good order, and certainly valued a lot less, if you mix parts. We've already mentioned that the filler unit in this pen is also incorrect, and was probably changed at some time. As to the last bit, well, there are just a few items you need to source and then a competent repairperson can put it all right.