PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Question(s)

thorskywalker
September 21st, 2016, 05:15 AM
Hello all,

I have three quick questions regarding the Safari pens..

I am planning to buy the gold nib to replace the steel one.. Has anyone upgraded their Safari with the Gold nib and what are the results? Is it really worth the price?
Here's the nib I am talking about:

https://www.thepencompany.com/image/LamyGoldNib-550.jpg

There is a black rubber ring on the body of the pen (on which the cap locks to) removable? Can I remove it without damaging the nib or the pen?

Is it possible to find a replacement rubber ring? (I am looking for a red one) if yes, where can I find it? I don't think Lamy just sells those rubber rings so I thought maybe there is a buy/sell place for accessories and spare parts somewhere..

Cheers!

christof
September 21st, 2016, 07:06 AM
I did change the steel nib to a 14 carats gold nib in a special customized Safari because of aspects of design. Lamy gold nibs are smooth and a little bit springy in most cases. If you like this, the change will be worth the money I think.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5533/18876918752_53f5cf7870_o.png

To change the spacer ring is more difficult because of several reasons:

1. the ring is not rubber. it's hard plastic.
2. the spacer ring is easy to remove. It's just friction fit.
3. the section of the ring is not circular, it's semicircular. (The cap locks on the sections writing end.)
4. I think it will be more than difficult to find a ring with correct diamter and section.

Hope this helps.
C.

thorskywalker
September 21st, 2016, 07:22 AM
wow that is one 'beautiful' Lamy.. I understand what you mean by design aspects... very neatly done.. and you have great taste to select this nib to complement the pen..

Are you using an F or an M on the pen? I was wondering do you have any difficulty writing with an F nib on certain types of paper? Someone told me M is the safe way to go because it writes without any problems on any type of paper but since my handwriting is fairly small, I have difficulty writing neatly with an M. I was just wondering about you experience if you are using an F gold nib..

Regarding the spacer ring, I was under the impression that a Red space ring from another Lamy Safari would be identical and a perfect fit? (Such as the all white Japanese limited edition Lamy which comes with a red spacer ring and a red clip) do you think that is not the case?

I did change the steel nib to a 14 carats gold nib in a special customized Safari because of aspects of design. Lamy gold nibs are smooth and a little bit springy in most cases. If you like this, the change will be worth the money I think.

3. the section of the ring is not circular, it's semicircular. (The cap locks on the sections writing end.)
4. I think it will be more than difficult to find a ring with correct diamter and section.

Hope this helps.
C.

christof
September 21st, 2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks.
My experience is that all these nibs are quite smooth, even EF. Lamy nibs are usually a bit on the broader side.
When it comes to the spacer ring - of course any Lamy Safari ring will fit to any Lamy Safari. I was under the impression that you wanted to use some other rings like O-rings...sorry.
C.

thorskywalker
September 21st, 2016, 10:06 AM
By any chance do you know how I can get my hands on a red lamy safari ring? Do you know of a 'marketplace' among collectors or someone selling spare parts?

Thanks.
My experience is that all these nibs are quite smooth, even EF. Lamy nibs are usually a bit on the broader side.
When it comes to the spacer ring - of course any Lamy Safari ring will fit to any Lamy Safari. I was under the impression that you wanted to use some other rings like O-rings...sorry.
C.

pajaro
September 21st, 2016, 10:18 AM
Nib link with a price: https://www.thepencompany.com/product/lamy-gold-nib/9989/

That's $70.33 US plus 12.98 shipping. If you really like the Lamy, maybe it's worth it.

I did buy a $65 18K gold nib from a Waterman L'etalon to put in a Waterman Phileas. That's comparable to this operation. I do like the result.

thorskywalker
September 21st, 2016, 10:45 AM
thank you very much.. being from England, I already found a retailer here with a very similar price :) I am hoping to get some good results as well.. however, I have no idea how to get my hands on a red lamy spacer ring..

Nib link with a price: https://www.thepencompany.com/product/lamy-gold-nib/9989/

That's $70.33 US plus 12.98 shipping. If you really like the Lamy, maybe it's worth it.

I did buy a $65 18K gold nib from a Waterman L'etalon to put in a Waterman Phileas. That's comparable to this operation. I do like the result.

christof
September 21st, 2016, 11:58 AM
no idea. could become difficult. I don't know many Safaris with red spacer ring.
c.

Chrissy
September 21st, 2016, 02:14 PM

I have done this nib swap with all of my Waterman Phileas pens. I love the results. :)

pajaro
September 21st, 2016, 04:06 PM
Making these upgrades on a number of pens costs quite a bit. Before I did a bunch of them, I would buy a Lamy 2000 in the steel, and maybe a Montblanc too.

Cocobird
January 23rd, 2017, 02:08 PM
I'm expecting a Lamy Safari in the mail. Looking forward to trying it out.

carlos.q
January 23rd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Welcome to FPGeeks! Remember to post your first impressions and some pictures....

inklord
January 23rd, 2017, 05:18 PM
What a great thread - I was not aware that there are still dealers offering 14k Lamy nibs separately. These are among my favorite nibs, especially in the finer grades. Thanks to all!

Bogon07
January 25th, 2017, 01:22 AM
White Safaris & Joys have grey spacer rings if you want some variation.

With gold nibs you could try buying a gold nib Accent, CP, Studio or Scala and swapping the nib between pens to try it out as they fit the Safari and al-stars too.

VertOlive
January 25th, 2017, 07:46 PM

Hope this helps.
C.

Wait. Is this a sort of frosted Vista with gold clip? What IS this wonderful thing I see?

ppmiranda
January 26th, 2017, 05:24 AM
I remember the first time I saw this custom Lamy vista. I wish Lamy would actually manufacture this pen.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Cocobird
January 29th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Welcome to FPGeeks! Remember to post your first impressions and some pictures....

Thanks for the welcome! My Lamy Safari is red, and feels very good to write with. The F nib is smooth. Very happy to have pen.

RNHC
January 31st, 2017, 01:01 PM
Making these upgrades on a number of pens costs quite a bit. Before I did a bunch of them, I would buy a Lamy 2000 in the steel, and maybe a Montblanc too.

Second that. Doesn't seem to make much financial sense but then again we can get "crazy" in pursuit of our hobby.

pajaro
January 31st, 2017, 07:13 PM
You can add the gold nib and accessories to a Lamy Safari, but I think it defeats the purpose of a great rough and ready pen for universal use, and brings it up to the level of a 2000 in Makrolon. Without the piston filler. A real matter of choice. With the gold nibbed Safari you get more color and ability to use cartridges. With the 2000 you get a tougher finish and a famous style. A real toss-up.