PDA

View Full Version : SOLD MB 146 - user grade - B nib from about 1980s

zaddick
September 21st, 2016, 03:44 PM
For sale is a user grade MB 146. I estimate the pen is from the early to mid 1980s as it has several characteristics from that time period. The pen has a nice and smooth B nib with some give to it, allowing for line variation on occasion. (To be clear, I am not saying this is a flex nib. It has some spring, but it not like a 1950s nib. It is softer than modern 146 nibs that are the current two-tone production.)

Here are the good things about the pen:
- B width nib, just a little hint of feedback but pretty smooth
- Split ebonite feed
- Pen posts securely
- I lubricated the piston so it is smooth
- No cracks on the cap lip or deep gouges on the pen
- No brassing of the trim

The not so great about the pen:
- Overall microscratches
- The section has deeper marks that look like someone tried to use the wrong tool to work on the pen
- A little bit of a nick in the piston cone
- The piston cone does not screw down as tight as it could. This happened when I put the piston back into the pen and did not get it flush. Now I can’t find the tool to take it back apart. There is no issue with the pen, just that it it maybe 0.5mm farther away from the metal trim than it should be.
- There is a gap between the threads and the ink window. There is no effect on function and it did not bother me enough to have it fixed, but it is there and noticeable.
- The nib occasionally hard starts for me with good quality paper. It is not too bad but annoying. I tinker with it every once in a while, but I want to note it for any new owner.

So why buy the pen then if there are issues with it. Well, I am pricing it as a user grade pen and if you want a nice B –width nib with a little spring to it, it can be a good option. The pen writes now and if you are handier than I am maybe you can clear up all the issues and polish it right up. Worst case, you send it off to MB and they will fix any issues with the pen for about $100. Again, it works just fine as it sits today and I have never bothered to want to change anything about the pen myself. No boxes or papers.

I am happy to answer any questions. I am asking $180 for the pen including US first class shipping. Upgraded shipping, insurance or international is possible for an additional cost. Reach out if you are interested or for any pictures.

zaddick
September 28th, 2016, 09:36 AM
price reduced to $170

zaddick
October 26th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Price reduced to $165.

nachum
October 26th, 2016, 07:14 PM
pictures?

zaddick
October 26th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Pm me your email and I am happy to send pictures. It is a bit of a pain for me to post them here. The pen is also listed on FPN where there are photos if that is easier. Same user name. Thank you.