PDA

View Full Version : How many Brits do we have here?

TonyJones
February 13th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Hello there!

I was just wondering how many British members there are on here. Or, if you prefer, if there were any Welsh, Scottish, Irish or English :cool:

I'm from mid Wales, and my local(ish) shop is in Shrewsbury where I go to have a look around and get my itch.

Where are you from?

fountainpenkid
February 13th, 2013, 06:53 AM
DanielCoffey here is British... there are probably many more that I'm forgetting...

caribbean_skye
February 13th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Erm, I don't live in the UK but I travel under a British passport, does that count? :)

TonyJones
February 13th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Not sure if it counts, but sounds very intriguing! Do tell :)

caribbean_skye
February 13th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Grew up in a country where we (now) have a non-reciprocal citizenship agreement with the UK. When that came into affect I jumped on it. :D Makes traveling quite a bit easier.

TonyJones
February 13th, 2013, 12:57 PM
So you can have an American and British passport but I'm stuck with a British one?

caribbean_skye
February 13th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Don't have an American one. Technically I can carry 3 passports (none is American however) but I only have 2.

TonyJones
February 13th, 2013, 01:28 PM
This confuses me... lol.

KrazyIvan
February 13th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Shhhhh. Secret agent type stuff seems to be happening here. :D

caribbean_skye
February 13th, 2013, 03:24 PM
*winks conspiratorially at KI*

FP_GaF
February 13th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Here's another edge-case: I live in the UK but am a citizen of another country (Austria). Do I count in your fountain pen census? :-)
Just for the sake of completeness, I am in the West Country, in the Exeter area to be precise.

John the Monkey
February 14th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Well, uncomplicatedly, I'm from, and live in Cheshire, UK.

Bogon07
February 14th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Well, uncomplicatedly, I'm from, and live in Cheshire, UK. Do you have any cats ? Or just cheese.

John the Monkey
February 14th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Do you have any cats ? Or just cheese.

Just a dog, although a dog that's very fond of tuna (and cheese).

TonyJones
February 14th, 2013, 03:44 AM
FP_GaF, what brought you over to the West Country from Austria?

John, what part of Cheshire? I used to live on the Flintshire/Cheshire border.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

FP_GaF
February 14th, 2013, 01:25 PM
FP_GaF, what brought you over to the West Country from Austria?

Oh, quite simply my job. I am a scientist and there is an internationally renowned institution that is located in Exeter. That's why I'm here.

TonyJones
February 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Oooh, I love science! What do you do? I have a friend studying theoretical physics in Durham University.

I always wished I'd gone down the university route as an engineer, but I never applied myself well enough when I was younger.

Sent from my mobile box with lots of transistors inside using Tapatalk 2

Toffer
February 14th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm from and live in the UK although not as exciting as a scientist I'm afraid and I live near Manchester.

TonyJones
February 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM
My mother's side of the family is from Salford and Eccles :) which part are you from?

caribbean_skye
February 14th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I'm from and live in the UK although not as exciting as a scientist I'm afraid and I live near Manchester.

Dare I ask whether you're from the City or United side of the house?

Bogon07
February 14th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Just a dog, although a dog that's very fond of tuna (and cheese).

Sounds like he could have some cat-genes being fond of tuna (and cheese)!

My grandfather came from Lancashire but he never talked about it.
I'll have to look out for Lancashire Black Bomb cheese at the supermarket. :)

FP_GaF
February 15th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Oooh, I love science! What do you do? I have a friend studying theoretical physics in Durham University.

I always wished I'd gone down the university route as an engineer, but I never applied myself well enough when I was younger.

So, my little hint was not obvious enough then, eh? Well, let me put it that way: I research what occupies the British citizen by far the most, day in and day out; only I am more interested in the long term... Can you guess now? :-)

Toffer
February 15th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Well I don't live in Manchester, but its easier to say near it than to say Todmorden. Not many people know it although after the horse meat thing more people will now! As for the football thing I'm not really into it but I grew up down south and supported United, my dad still supports City and now my wife has turned me into a Burnley supporter!! Confused yet?!

caribbean_skye
February 15th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Ahhh yes the horse meat scandal! It gets a little mention on the news here but not a lot as we don't use the same meat suppliers. The only reason I know about it is that I get AP and Reuters news feeds. Nope, not quite confused yet. :) I'm a United Fan all the way as far as BPL goes, but otherwise I've been a Crystal Palace supporter although I cannot tell you the last time I saw one of their matches televised.

TonyJones
February 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
I have no idea in the slightest!

What occupies us day in and day out? Biscuits...

gwgtaylor
February 16th, 2013, 06:25 PM
British blood/ancestry but Canadian heart/passport. Really though I'm more of an Earthling.

Tracy Lee
February 16th, 2013, 06:59 PM
No one told me there was an earthling in this forum. Not sure how to process that. ;)

FP_GaF
February 17th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I have no idea in the slightest!

What occupies us day in and day out? Biscuits...

The weather... ;)

Hmm, researching biscuits... That's a thought, though.

Toffer
February 18th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Lol the weather!! Seems obvious now you say it! I'm currently researching ginger biscuits, they seem very good but may need to 'test' a few more!

NeoGeo
February 18th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Just a plain old Brummie, now living in Worcester

TonyJones
February 18th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Weather is now obvious! Lol. Metrology I take it.

FP_GaF
February 18th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Yes, meteorology. I am a climate scientist.

But now that I heard about researching biscuits I wonder if I should "broaden my field of expertise". That sounds like a fascinating subject... :)

TonyJones
February 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Biscuit scientist is a great job, I partook in an experiment today:

After 7 hours of pointing a wall, which biscuit provides the most satisfying accompaniment to a coffee: ginger nuts, choccie digestives or bourbon? So far the results are inconclusive, further studies are required.

ballboy
February 19th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Do you have any cats ? Or just cheese.

I have three, one of which loves cheese, here in east Cheshire.

Trixie.in.Dixie
February 19th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I'm just going to hang out in here and eavesdrop. I'm an unapologetic anglophile with family ancestry in Manchester, Whitby, York and I think Liverpool. I've been across the pond three times, but obviously that's not enough! :)

caribbean_skye
February 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM
After 7 hours of pointing a wall, which biscuit provides the most satisfying accompaniment to a coffee: ginger nuts, choccie digestives or bourbon? So far the results are inconclusive, further studies are required.

Surely the bourbon ones are pulling ahead. I love those... too bad the Americans don't make an equivalent, that and garibaldi's.

Toffer
February 21st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Bourbon's would probably be my winners, hold up better to dunking than the other two!!

TonyJones
February 21st, 2013, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure, Toffer, the ginger nuts seem to hold up really well!

caribbean_skye
February 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Bourbon's would probably be my winners, hold up better to dunking than the other two!!

Not a dunker myself, but oh for some bourbon's. *daydreams*

TonyJones
February 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
We'll have to set up an exchange, inks for British biscuits ;)

Scrib
February 27th, 2013, 11:25 PM
What I'd do for some Custard Creams or even a custard tart right now. I won't have much luck finding any where I am now though.

Prof. Tarquin Danglebury
March 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM
I am from the UK. I was born in West-Nibshire.

FP_GaF
March 1st, 2013, 10:48 PM
I am from the UK. I was born in West-Nibshire.

Oh yes, in the world famous town of Inkewick I guess, where they discovered the first ever ink well (why do you think its called a FOUNTAINpen) underneath a farmer's field, didn't they.

Delighted Professor!

TonyJones
March 2nd, 2013, 04:18 AM
Spiffing!

grandmia
March 2nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
Hiya from litle ol Stockport near Manchesta !

Potter
March 5th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Hi from Peterborough, reluctant supporter of the mighty ;-( Posh, new collector and user of FP's, I making my first visit to a pen show in Cambridge soon, I'll try and get some pics

TonyJones
March 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hello Grandmia and Potter!

My mums family come from Salford/Eccles way Grandmia :)

Potter, don't spend too much ;)

cygnoir
March 12th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Yankee expat here, living in Edinburgh. Hullo!

TonyJones
March 13th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Hi Cygnoir,

Just replied to your introductory post, then saw you'd posted here too.

So how do you find Edinburgh? I've passed through there a couple of times, I've never set foot outside of Waverly station though. I would love to be there over Hogmanay!

Zanshin
March 14th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Hello all, from sunny Surrey

Scrawler
March 15th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I used to be British.

TonyJones
March 16th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Hi Zanish!

Scrawler, I'm intrigued, do tell :D

Scrawler
March 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Hi Zanish!

Scrawler, I'm intrigued, do tell :D

I was born British but emigrated and took on the citizenship of my new country.

Pelikan-Vera
March 17th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hello from a "Kraut" intruder.......living in the rainy Western hills of Wales.....

TonyJones
March 25th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Hi Vera :)

Where abouts in West Wales do you live? What part of Germany are you from?

Sent from a handheld thingy-majig with lots of transistors inside using Tapatalk 2

Pelikan-Vera
March 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Hi Tony,
well it's south of the hills in the Capitol of this wet corner....and I am from Osnabruck, northern germany. :) Vera

Eclectica
March 25th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Cornwall, UK - that certainly counts as Britain, though some would disagree no doubt :p

snedwos
March 27th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Cornwall, UK - that certainly counts as Britain, though some would disagree no doubt :p

It counts as Britain, if maybe not England...

snedwos
March 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Ooooh! I studied Theoretical Physics at Durham!

snedwos
March 27th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I'm just going to hang out in here and eavesdrop. I'm an unapologetic anglophile with family ancestry in Manchester, Whitby, York and I think Liverpool. I've been across the pond three times, but obviously that's not enough! :)

Me Dad were born in Whitby.

TonyJones
March 27th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Elclectica, my mum lived in Liskeard for a wee while, and I almost got a job working out of Par :) what part of Cornwall do you inhabit?

Sent from a handheld thingy-majig with lots of transistors inside using Tapatalk 2

TonyJones
March 27th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Snedwos, how did you find it? My friend has been showing me some of her notes, she's been doing nuclear theory I think. Way above my understanding!

ArtJourney
April 29th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Me is from East London.

{waves}

Stefan
April 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Yep, from Filkins Gloucestershire :cheers:

Deb
May 2nd, 2013, 07:58 AM
I'm from the Highlands of Scotland.

CS388
May 3rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
Originally from the north (north-east, to be specific), but have lived in London for the past 25+ years.

Might be a good idea for us British members to pop our pins in the member map? (Tab on the top line of the page).

I like this facility, interesting to see where fellow FPGers are.

Enjoy.

carlc
May 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Done.

Ex Mancunian now living in Watford

carl

View from the Loft
May 3rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
I'm a Scot, originally from Glasgow, but now living in London.

Mum was born in Yorkshire, educated in Essex and the moved to Glasgow upon marriage. Dad was Glaswegian theough and through. Not entirely sure what i will be able to claim nationality wise if the Scottish National Party ,
gets its dream yes vote next year.

As for work, nothing so exciting as meteorological or climate science, nor theoretical physics. I work on the operational side of public transport, and manage to save enough pennies to fund my pen addiction.

Edited for spelling.

michaelcockerham
May 3rd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Near Bath, but actually in Wiltshire.

carlc
May 3rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
My mother's side of the family is from Salford and Eccles :) which part are you from?

Ooh - pushing in here - I'm originally from Swinton.

Mod_wolves
May 3rd, 2013, 04:55 PM
Shout out from Chester.

Jimothy
May 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
I'm a yellow belly by birth now banished to Cheshire. My grand-dad was a tyke.
Cosmopolitan British

pansipotter
May 4th, 2013, 02:42 AM
I'm British. Living in Lancashire. No local pen shops :-(

carlc
May 4th, 2013, 03:25 AM
I'm British. Living in Lancashire. No local pen shops :-(

There's a jewellers in Preston that sells high end stuff (can't remember the name at the moment).

There's also Platts Pen Shop in Preston - seems like Preston is quite the pen place!

Though Preston may not be local to you.

da vinci
May 4th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Wales - Iechya da! :cheers:

datainadequate
August 24th, 2016, 06:59 AM
I'm a Yorkshireman living in Cornwall, not far from Falmouth.

oldstoat
September 14th, 2016, 04:26 PM
I'm from England's leafiest county, Surrey. Most of those leaves will be on my lawn in a couple of months.....

datainadequate
September 14th, 2016, 09:57 PM
I'm from England's leafiest county, Surrey. Most of those leaves will be on my lawn in a couple of months.....

The rest of the leaves will be on Southern Railway lines, causing more delays ;)

Cob
September 15th, 2016, 01:21 AM
I am an Englishman; I live in Berkshire.

C.

checkrail
September 29th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Old enough to remember that 'Brit' is a C20th Americanism and to be a Briton. And a Scot, which isn't!
Kind regards,
Timothy

Edited for typography.

Chrissy
September 29th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I'm British. Born in North Wales, living in Berkshire. Currently on holiday in Florida. :)

SIR
October 7th, 2016, 02:29 PM
British passport holder here.

Cob
October 7th, 2016, 04:05 PM
I'm an Englishman.

Cob

grainweevil
October 8th, 2016, 03:47 AM
I'm an Englishwoman, currently exiled abroad in Cornwall. Maybe one day I will return to my native land. *stares wistfully over the Tamar*

Chrissy
October 9th, 2016, 02:36 AM
I'm an Englishwoman, currently exiled abroad in Cornwall. Maybe one day I will return to my native land. *stares wistfully over the Tamar*

:pound:

Morgaine
October 9th, 2016, 04:07 PM

Are you in an area where Cornish (whichever variant) is used?

grainweevil
October 10th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Are you in an area where Cornish (whichever variant) is used?
Ah, no, thank goodness. Cornish is more of a niche hobby than actively used, despite what its proponents would claim - you have as good a chance of hearing Klingon. You get the odd duel language sign and wotnot when the Council get an attack of the pasties, but otherwise it really doesn't feature in normal life.

MY63
October 10th, 2016, 01:31 PM
I am British too a few miles east of Newcastle upon Tyne there are some interesting dialects spoken up here.

Sammyo
October 10th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Englishman, shipped abroad to Michigan, USA for 10 years; currently residing in Tochigi, Japan since the beginning of this year.

RocketRyan
October 20th, 2016, 05:28 AM
I too am British :)

Blue Note
October 30th, 2016, 03:37 PM
I'm a Brit living in Canada. I have Canadian and British passports.

BayesianPrior
October 30th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Are we including the Crown Dependencies?

datainadequate
October 30th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Are we including the Crown Dependencies?

Only when it suits us to.*

(* As per the official policy of HM Government.)

Blue Moon 7
November 7th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I am British. From Manchester but currently living in Crosby, Liverpool.

Chris

grainweevil
November 7th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Welcome, Chris. Manchester to Liverpool? Gosh, they let you do that...? :D

migo984
November 7th, 2016, 04:40 PM

Only after he'd been granted a visa, passed the medical, learnt the lingo and taken a citizenship test. Oh, and swore the Gerry & The Pacemakers Ferry Cross the Mersey oath of loyalty. Unless of course he's living in Birkenhead......:)

Chrissy
November 8th, 2016, 04:26 AM
Englishman, shipped abroad to Michigan, USA for 10 years; currently residing in Tochigi, Japan since the beginning of this year.
I wish I could be shipped abroad to the US for 10 years. :blink:

On the other hand Japan might be an interesting place to visit. All those inks.....:p

RocketRyan
November 9th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Nice to see there are a few leaky pen users over here.

Blue Note
November 9th, 2016, 05:45 PM

On the other hand Japan might be an interesting place to visit. All those inks.....:p

You may want to re-think that 10 year plan now, Chrissy. :-(

Sammyo
November 9th, 2016, 09:00 PM

America was nice... apart from the cost of healthcare... and some of the other institution related things...

Japan is much better on the healthcare side... but not much better on the institution related matters...

Ho hum... still, better than England right?!?!?!?!?!

You want to know the stupid thing?
Since moving to Japan I have ordered two handmade pens from America... the shipping and import duties are a killer... but I do have lovely Japanese inks to put in them ;)

Sammyo
November 9th, 2016, 09:01 PM

Only after he'd been granted a visa, passed the medical, learnt the lingo and taken a citizenship test. Oh, and swore the Gerry & The Pacemakers Ferry Cross the Mersey oath of loyalty. Unless of course he's living in Birkenhead......:)

I had a similar experience when I was commuting from Walsall to Birmingham every day... They cor spake proper there cor thay!! bloody brummies! they dow no wot a cut is or nuthin!

Chrissy
November 10th, 2016, 12:42 AM

America was nice... apart from the cost of healthcare... and some of the other institution related things...

Japan is much better on the healthcare side... but not much better on the institution related matters...

Ho hum... still, better than England right?!?!?!?!?!

You want to know the stupid thing?
Since moving to Japan I have ordered two handmade pens from America... the shipping and import duties are a killer... but I do have lovely Japanese inks to put in them ;)

Before yesterday, I might have whimsically agreed that yes, they are both better than England. Today I would have to say I'm not absolutely 100% sure. :confused:

But a vacation in Japan, with all of those lovely inks, would be wonderful. Kobe Island.....sigh

Chrissy
November 10th, 2016, 12:49 AM

You may want to re-think that 10 year plan now, Chrissy. :-(

Not necessarily.

matteob
December 30th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Despite the name I am a Brit?

dapprman
January 1st, 2017, 02:13 PM
Brit lurker here. Hmm sure I'd posted a hello message here, unless it does not count towards posts (I am on some forums where only certain sections count and there are a minimum number of post required in those before you can access the classified areas - helps counter fraud).

Farmboy
January 2nd, 2017, 10:22 AM
How many Brits does it take...wait, I misread the title.

45ist
February 2nd, 2017, 04:45 AM
West Sussex here