PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Shipping

VegHead
September 24th, 2016, 06:56 PM
I've been a member here for some time now and look at all the PENS For Sale/WTB/WTT posts daily.

However I have a problem that a lot of these posts state CONUS only, so what about the rest of us?
What do you have against shipping outside CONUS? If I was willing to pay the cost what's the problem again?

Every time I see these FS ads that have CONUS only I just look away now, disappointed and probably won't look at that seller again (as in I won't even bother to open the post).

Thanks in advance.

jar
September 24th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Personally it would be a matter of tracking. Often international tracking using the mail systems is spotty at best and services like FedEx, UPS and DHL too expensive.

AbE:

Let me add it works the other way as well. When I am buying from overseas I have had sellers that refused to use DHL or FedEx or UPS and instead insisted on using registered mail. Registered mail is horrible when it comes to client tracking and so I simply don't buy from those sources anymore.

PennySycamore
September 24th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I got burned on a pen sent to India. Burned bad. For me, it's about controlling the shipping as much as I can. No offense to anyone overseas, but I can't afford to lose $300 pens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

heraclitus682
September 24th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Tracking...or lack of tracking.

Curtisvan
September 24th, 2016, 09:16 PM
I've been a member here for some time now and look at all the PENS For Sale/WTB/WTT posts daily.

However I have a problem that a lot of these posts state CONUS only, so what about the rest of us?
What do you have against shipping outside CONUS? If I was willing to pay the cost what's the problem again?

Every time I see these FS ads that have CONUS only I just look away now, disappointed and probably won't look at that seller again (as in I won't even bother to open the post).

Thanks in advance.

When I put CONUS I mean that is the price shipped in the continental US. I'll ship overseas if the buyer will pay actual costs and assume the risks.

VegHead
September 24th, 2016, 09:20 PM

Thanks in advance.

When I put CONUS I mean that is the price shipped in the continental US. I'll ship overseas if the buyer will pay actual costs and assume the risks.

To clarify, I was referring to those posts that have CONUS only in the text.

Thanks for the quick replies all, and I now have a much better understanding of the issue (tracking). And yes, it does go both ways.

Cheers.

Purplemonkey
September 24th, 2016, 09:23 PM
You can use a reship service based in the US. The item will be considered "delivered and received by the seller" once it reaches the company and they will forward it on to your for a fee.

Drummergeorge
September 24th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your Discrimination, but for the safety of the pen, it is vital to get into the right hands.

earthdawn
September 24th, 2016, 10:16 PM
For me a few reasons.

Consistent lost packs. Last November I had 3 packs going just to Canada disappear.

Shipping with tracking is pretty much a minimum of $25 from the USA to another country.

Having to goto the post office to have them get the paperwork correct. Even when there is no line it still takes 5-10 minutes for them to enter everything and print the label.

lol and Australia starts at $35 for a small priority box.

At the end of the day it is just a hassle that has become to much of a hassle to be worth it. I would rather sit on a pen I have for sale or just keep it.

That all being said all countries have their own postal system. I know Japan is killing it with excellent shipping rates from Japan to the USA and its fast! Shipping from here to Japan is a like waiting for paint to peel off the wall.

It's not the buyers nor the sellers .... it's the nightmare we call USPS.

Z-Tab
September 24th, 2016, 10:54 PM
In my opinion, there are three reasons, which work together:

1. The USPS doesn't have the same pressure to offer reasonable international rates as countries where individuals do more international shipping, so they provide bad options at high prices.

2. When you're selling a $500 pen, $70 tracked express shipping isn't entirely egregious, but it's way too much when you're trying to get rid of a used TWSBI.

3. Paypal and services like that almost always take the side of the buyer, so sellers are discouraged from taking any sort of shipping risks.

VegHead
September 24th, 2016, 11:22 PM
In my opinion, there are three reasons, which work together:

1. The USPS doesn't have the same pressure to offer reasonable international rates as countries where individuals do more international shipping, so they provide bad options at high prices.

2. When you're selling a $500 pen, $70 tracked express shipping isn't entirely egregious, but it's way too much when you're trying to get rid of a used TWSBI.

3. Paypal and services like that almost always take the side of the buyer, so sellers are discouraged from taking any sort of shipping risks.

Thank you. It all makes sense now. What a mess...

sloegin
September 24th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Indeed paypal takes the buyer's side unless there is proof of delivery and or a signature. Which from the US requires express mail, which is quite expensive.

There are cheaper shipping options but then the seller is at risk for losing the pen, the cost of the pen, and the cost of shipping!

As a seller, unless the buyer is willing to pay using the friends and family option which negates their buyer protection and understand they are assuming the risk, the cheaper options are not really worth it to me.

checkrail
September 25th, 2016, 04:41 AM
Maybe I am just lucky, but from hundreds of postal transactions as a buyer and seller domestically and internationally, my score for pens damaged in transit is zero and for lost is zero. I always send tracked, but have bought numerous things untracked.

migo984
September 25th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Maybe I am just lucky, but from hundreds of postal transactions as a buyer and seller domestically and internationally, my score for pens damaged in transit is zero and for lost is zero. I always send tracked, but have bought numerous things untracked.

Maybe not "luck", as I've had the same experience over years of buying (& occasionally sending). Nothing has ever been lost, or even damage, when shipped internationally, apart from one small packet of ink samples. I often buy untracked.

Funnily enough several of my US pen pals have complained that the only items they've had problems with were shipped to them domestically within the US.

earthdawn
September 25th, 2016, 07:03 AM

Maybe not "luck", as I've had the same experience over years of buying (& occasionally sending). Nothing has ever been lost, or even damage, when shipped internationally, apart from one small packet of ink samples. I often buy untracked.

Funnily enough several of my US pen pals have complained that the only items they've had problems with were shipped to them domestically within the US.

Without a doubt domestic mail is a disaster as well.

Want see something funny here is a package i sent Priority from NY to California. There was nothing wrong with the address or label. When the person finally got the Post Master on the phone and explained that a picture of the label had been taken just prior to shipping and it matched the exact format of the last electric bill it suddenly appeared. Delivery occurred the next day.

www.usps.com

Woody
September 25th, 2016, 09:25 AM
I'm able to get a number of packages from the US but for US sellers mailing to Canada often suffer descrepensies when mailing. Sometimes it takes a long time to fill out paperwork then sometimes shorter. It must depend on the US post. OTOH it takes 3 min for paperwork from Canada to US destinations, and $20 insured tracking.

I have no problem mailing to the US. None. I wish it was the same for my US friends. CONUS ONLY means just that. Simply CONUS means you should as the seller if he does mail internationally.

Wade
September 25th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Being a Canuckian I'll also admit a bit of frustration at seeing a pen I'm interested being sold CONUS only, but when interested enough I've messaged the seller privately and sometimes have still put a deal together. I also have never had a single issue receiving something received from the US, but regardless, in a private sale it's most certainly the seller's prerogative to conduct their sale however they are comfortable.

FredRydr
September 25th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are the same USPS postage as CONUS, even flat-rate priority, express and registered mail. You have to wonder if people who put CONUS only in their ads are aware of the meaning. Why not type US only?

I had a registered parcel containing a desirable pen sent from Italy to the US disappear. So the Italians can claim it's too risky to ship to the USA, right? There's a lot of anecdotal conclusion-jumping out there.

Fred

carlos.q
September 25th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are the same USPS postage as CONUS, even flat-rate priority, express and registered mail. You have to wonder if people who put CONUS only in their ads are aware of the meaning. Why not type US only?

:thumb:

I usually have to do some explaining about the geopolitics of this...

Hawk
September 25th, 2016, 09:17 PM
For me, I have a pen sitting in ISC Chcago since 9/16. I live in the Chicagoland area. I could walk to get the pen and get back home faster. BTW, the pen was shipped from the UK. I will be patient....

luckduck369
September 25th, 2016, 10:17 PM
For me, I have a pen sitting in ISC Chcago since 9/16. I live in the Chicagoland area. I could walk to get the pen and get back home faster. BTW, the pen was shipped from the UK. I will be patient....

I have package stuck there since the 13th...

caribbean_skye
September 26th, 2016, 05:31 AM

woah, thats a long time. I say that because usually stuff for me going thru Chicago takes ~24 hours, NY on the other hand, several days. Hope you get your package soon.

penwash
September 26th, 2016, 02:37 PM

Thanks in advance.

I've shipped pens to UK, Singapore, Germany, and Canada. Every time I send the package, there is a little concern that neither the buyer nor I will ever see that pen again. So far so good but still.

Just to be perfectly clear, I *prefer* shipping domestically because if there is something wrong with the pen, they can just mail it back to me and I can cover the shipping cost, and make things right. But when the shipping cost is > $30, I cannot do that. And I feel bad because I want to treat all of my buyers with the same courtesy and service.

FredRydr
September 26th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Okay, but why are you unwilling to mail to Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico?

Fred