PDA

View Full Version : It has begun (with pics to break it up)

TonyJones
February 13th, 2013, 05:39 AM
With my job, I needed a sturdy and reliable pen that could handle a little bit of bashing around when not in use, wasn't too expensive in case of damage or loss, and provided me with reliable service.

It accompanies me up and down the railway as I search out failures on the electrical and signalling equipment, writing notes and keeping a track record of my progress. It is there to write down whatever information is required when I am maintaining equipment, so there is a record of the voltages, resistances, timings and currents.

Not me in there, by the way.

When problems arise, and there is a need to divert circuits, or bypass contacts on relays, I'm required to amend the technical drawings in red to show what it is I have done, to ensure that any other worker that may have a hand in the equipment knows that there are amendments.

At the end of my day, I need to complete an entry into my work diary detailing the activities of the day, a concise account of any faults, and anything that would require following up. I write the hours that I've worked. This diary is important, it is my go to source of accurate information, and at times has helped me when trouble would rear it's ugly head.

Historically, it has always been up the humble, cheap, and utterly crap ballpoint pen to complete this. What a bore it was. I'd have 4 or 5 pens in varying states, from appearing full of ink but bone dry, or smashed, or just not putting ink down at all. Frustrating and annoying.

Then, I used a fountain pen. It felt real good to write for once. Flowing, light, and a whole plethora of adjectives could describe what you know these pens are. The smallest excuse to write is enough!

Well, my workhorse is a Lamy Safari, which I think rocks! When I bought it with a medium nib and cartridges, it was pretty sweet. When I bought a fine nib, a converter and some Diamine Onyx Black, it was even better! My brief foray into Asa Blue was lovely, but I had to come back for a while.

Writing has slowed down for me. Rather than being a recorder of tasks, it is now a task that I take time with. I enjoy using my pen, regardless of my shitty handwriting, and use it at every opportunity. No longer do I use Evernote for my shopping/to-do list. Pen and paper is back.

Hell, I've even just bought a Lamy Vista and some Diamine Poppy Red, purely for technical amendments.

I eagerly await the release of the TWSBI 580, which I hope looks as good as the clear 540. Next, I save for my first £100+ pen, the Visconti Homo Sapiens. I love the fact that it is partly made using lava from Etna, a more earthly material that any metal, and has a nib made of Palladium, the metal that the partner and I have decided to use as our wedding rings.

Add to this, my wanting of inks. The beauty of Iroshizuku and Pelikan bottles, the Noodlers and Conway Stewart colours. I need to buy a writing desk for all of this!

I am truly sold on these little writing instruments.

fountainpenkid
February 13th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Thank you so much for a wonderful story to start my morning. It is always great to hear about someone using fountain pens every day for their job! They have taken on a new role in some poeple's lives in this modern era...though 60 or 70 or 80 years ago, most people had a fountain pen, I get a strong impression that they would have used a pencil for almost everything except for official documents or letters. I looked at my great grandfather's journal from 1920, and there are only 2 short entries with a fountain pen! The fountain pen is now used by some people every day at work, for everything (I am one of those people, although substitute the noun school in there...).

Best,

writingrav
February 13th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Great reflections. Thanks!

Augustinian
February 13th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed your reflection. My work is more behind a desk, but, like you, I have found the Fountain pen to be the "mark of civility and efficiency".

I usually keep several inked up --- at least one in red ink since I need to grade papers.

Thanks again for your reflection.

KrazyIvan
February 13th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Very cool back story. Welcome to the Dark Side.

caribbean_skye
February 13th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Great intro and glad that you're finding time to use your fp while out and about.

Welcome welcome.

Toffer
February 14th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Great introduction, I keep thinking I will take one of my safari's to work but am scared of losing it!