PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Nibs - Has anyone ever had a Steel nib ground or smoothed professionally

DavidtheGnome
September 26th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone here has ever hed the standard steel nib which comes on the Lamy Safari/Al Star/Nexx ground or smoothed by a professional, and if so if you felt that it was worth the investment in a smoother nib.

I realize that the price for an entire pen approaches the cost of a re-grind, so some might see no point in pursuing this option. My experience has been that the Lamy nibs are OK but not nearly as nice as my Goulet #6 or the medium on my Bexley. I do like the ergonomics of the Lamy pens including the Nexx which is why I am considering this option.

Thanks!

datainadequate
September 26th, 2016, 03:41 PM
No, but I'd be interested in the results if you tried it. Like you, I find the Safari and AL-star to be a really comfortable, well-balanced pen to write with.

dfo
September 26th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I have not, but I wish nibmeisters (like the NibSmith) would keep some in stock and sell modified and tuned versions of them. The Lamy lamy z50 nib is ubiquitous in the fountain pen community and i believe that tuned nibs would offer an effective upgrade.

VertOlive
September 27th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Yes. I have a matte black Safari that came with a medium black nib. I couldn't find a black stub nib and didn't want to lose the "stealth" look by adding a silver nib.

I sent the black nib off to Pendleton Brown for his "Butterline Stub" grind. I feel it was worth it to have the black nib in the grind I wanted. I still enjoy it and use it often.