PDA

View Full Version : Feeling bad for the Esterbrook forum...

Kelly G
May 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I just couldn't stand to watch the Estie forum languish. You have to love Esterbrooks, perhaps the most durable vintage pen around. Sturdy plastic, stainless steel furniture, exchangeable nibs - what more could you want - oh yeah - they are inexpensive to boot.

I'm particularly fond of the Transitional J models - jeweled top and flat bottom. I think the only one I'm missing is the black version - if you don't count all the jewel combinations.

I have a red J in constant use - it stays on/in my desk at work. It was an interesting find because it still has a pliable original Esterbrook sac installed. That is why it stays on the desk rather than my pocket - I'm expecting it to fail any time - but it has been three years now since I found it and inked it up.

What is your favorite Estie and nib?

bardolator
May 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
I'll add some love! I just bought a dark copper J with a NOS 9556 nib. It's both finer and stiffer than I'm used to (I also have a Pelikan M400 and a Lamy Al-Star, both with medium nibs), but I think I'll get used to it pretty quickly! :)

penspouse
May 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM
The Dark Red and Dark Blue Js are my favorites. I'll take any nib that writes as smooth as........ (fill in your description here).

TWRDO
May 29th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I thought about starting something here too but thought I'd leave it to someone more knowledgeable in the way of the Estie.

I recently started picking up Esties to fix up and resell, so I've been able to try a few different pens and nibs now. So far, my favorite Estie is a silver J. As far as nibs go, I definitely prefer the tipped 3xxx and 9xxx nibs over the untipped nibs. My favorite so far is a 9968 - a wonderfully smooth broad which I won't be reselling. :)

riffraff
June 10th, 2010, 06:53 AM
That 9968 sounds nice. I need to find one of those.

Some Estie ramblings:

I find the SJ to be a tad too small for me, though a nice, compact pen. Even the J seems a little small, but do-able. :)

I've recently re-sac'd a few J's and some Estie desk-pens.

I need to take an "eight-ball" desk set to work.

Ernst Bitterman
June 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I need to take an "eight-ball" desk set to work.

I've got a 444 Dip-Less on my desk, and funnily enough no one has asked to borrow a pen since it arrived. I have to admit that the difference between SJ and J is so subtle I don't really find any performance difference. I do have a very wide range of tolerances, tho', so I'm not to be taken as an example of anything other than an indiscriminate FP user.

Tortoise
June 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I love them! I think my favorite is the copper colored J, but I like the grey & blue a whole lot, too. It's so nice to be able to switch out nibs whenever the mood strikes. I like so many of the nibs, it's really hard to choose a #1, but among my favorites are 2668, 9284, 2442, 9460, 9668, 9550, & 1555.

liapuyat
June 10th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have 2 SJ's and 4 J pens. My favorites would be my blue SJ with a 2048 nib (my first ever vintage pen), and my copper J with a 9556 nib. They're so reliable! I also have a few loose nibs in case I want to swap them.

lovemy51
July 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM
over here i got: 1 deluxe in black with silver cap, 3 SJ's (red, brown, black), 1 SJ trans (green) and 3 J's (grey, blue and green). 2 desk sets with 8 ball (black and navy grey) and just bought a 447 (444?) dip-less set that's on the way.

as far as nibs, my fav is the 9668 med that came with my grey desk set. it's soooooooo smooth!!!

regards.

AndyH
August 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
The Estie J series combines, to me, the aesthetics of the form follows function school of design with some truly beautiful plastics and usable, well-designed nibs.

I have full size and LJ/SJ series pens in copper, blue, red, green, and silver. I use the full size versions with darker inks of the same barrel color and the slim series in brighter or more vivid inks for annotating and highlighting.

For note taking, the 2314-M series nibs and the 1555 Gregg nibs are my favorites, while the 2314-F series are perfect for annotating and editing. I generally use Noodler's or PR inks, and have a color coding system for red, green, blue, brown, or black notes. The Gregg nibs perform as advertised, rarely drying out and always at the ready.

The Estie Manifold nibs are also perfect IMHO for their intended use - filling out multipart NCR forms. My go to pen for filling out inspection forms is a fine poin manifold Estie. I can read it well, even on the third copy, and yet it provides the fun and creativity of using a fountain pen rather than a dull, disposable modern biro.

All in all, I never go a single day at work without using and enjoying an Estie pen and nib.

sera0516
February 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Esterbrooks were the go-to pen when a good company wanted to distribute work-a-day pens to their employees---well, those were the days, the boss wants everyone to have a company pen to use, and what was distributed as office supplies we now treasure. My own favorite J is one I had to re-sac, that still says, along the length of the barrel, "Bell System Property."

John the Monkey
December 30th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I love Esterbrooks - my first was a lovely blue J, and that one hooked me!

My collection is a modest one - the original blue J (2556 nib), a black J (9556 nib), a grey LJ (2668 nib), black SJ (9468 nib, and the first pen I ever resacced) and a red SJ (2442 nib). The "J" is my favourite type, followed by the LJ, I think. I agree with the comments that the SJ is, perhaps, a little too small, although mine write beautifully, and both are handsome looking pens that I was fortunate to get in nice external condition - the red in particular is very striking.

I covet the Copper and Green Js, which have become the very examplar of the old saying "A man's reach should exceed his grasp..." for me, escaping me more times than I care to mention!

manoeuver
January 11th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I've got one- don't know the model. bought it when I was having an ebay problem. Haven't inked it- I don't know if the sac inside is any good. I've been using it as a stylus for my boogie board...

eriquito
January 12th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I've a soft spot in my heart for Esterbrooks. That led to them nearly taking over my collection at one time. Now, I have but one lovely Dollar Pen. It hasn't gotten much use lately owing to the fact that it is nibless. But take heart, I'll find the perfect nib at the LA Pen Show =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

jor412
January 18th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Not too long ago, my first vintage pen purchase was a copper Esterbrook J with a 9556 nib. It's still one of my favorite pens. I don't have a lot of them but apart from the J I have 2 SJs (red and blue) and one blue M2. I have a 2048, 9450, 9968, 1555, and 2550 nib and I have 2 9556 nibs. I really enjoy using these nibs. Some of them have a bit of tooth to them and that's part of what I like about the Esterbrook writing experience. I also like butter-smooth nibs. The variety is great fun. :)

manoli
February 15th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Eric --

How could you let your poor Estie get into that position without a mouth to sing her/his words of Wisdom???
I sincerely hope you find her/him a great nib at the pen show,

Signed your fellow Californian...

KrazyIvan
February 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I have five Esterbrooks. Three of them are J's in red, green, blue. I like to call them my RGB collection. The other two are Bell Systems SJ's. I think. I am in communications so I thought it would be cool to have some Bell Systems versions. :)

SaraRRice
February 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Still looking for a cherry red pencil.

Freddy
March 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I have about twenty Esties, most in working order. I have a couple of dipless pen sets that I like even better than my 8-Ball desk set. The 407 Dipless is filled with Sheaffer Skrip red ink and I find myself going for it a lot when I just want to jot myself a quick note. The pen has a 9556 nib that is quite smooth and the red ink is eye catching enough that the note won't soon be forgotten. ;) On one of my Transitionals and one of my SJ's, Tyler Dahl has custom ground the nibs for me and they are buttery smooth writers.

pajaro
August 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM

Camraderie.

KrazyIvan
August 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
One of these pens is not like the others...

pajaro
August 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM
Same nib, though. Esties can hold their own.

Spare nib, too much time on my hands. . .

southpaw52
August 2nd, 2012, 06:26 AM
I treasure the Esties I have, especially my Clergy Estie J. Esties, are an outstanding pen.

KrazyIvan
August 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM
I need to get my blue J back in rotation. It will be back once I finish the ink in the Venus President.

Okami
August 3rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Estie's restored my interest in vintage pens. If it wasn't for my first EB I would probably only have modern pens - they are really great pens and a wonderful intro for people who have never used a vintage pen. Not to mention that they are generally very reasonably priced.

penultress
October 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I just pulled the trigger on my first Estie, and SJ in red with 1555 nib. I'm really looking forward to finding out why this pen is so well-loved!

Jon Szanto
October 7th, 2012, 10:35 PM
BTW: Rick Krantz is having a Really Big sale on Esterbrooks tonight, advertised at (at least) FPB and FPN. At the start of it, a couple hours ago?, he had ever color in every size for very nominal prices. If you haven't picked up an Estie, or want to add to your collection, this might be a relatively painless way to do it!

John the Monkey
October 8th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I just pulled the trigger on my first Estie, and SJ in red with 1555 nib. I'm really looking forward to finding out why this pen is so well-loved!

A red SJ was one of my first too - it's a beautiful colour, and mine's never out of my rotation. At the moment, I have it filled with Diamine Monaco Red.

KrazyIvan
October 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
BTW: Rick Krantz is having a Really Big sale on Esterbrooks tonight, advertised at (at least) FPB and FPN. At the start of it, a couple hours ago?, he had ever color in every size for very nominal prices. If you haven't picked up an Estie, or want to add to your collection, this might be a relatively painless way to do it!

Yup, saw it on the Fountain Pen Classifieds. I think I am getting out of Esties for now. I am just going to keep my Blue J and a Bell Systems SJ.

FLJeepGuy
October 8th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I'm quite fond of the Esties and have several in my collection plus a ton of extra nibs. Three dollar pens (one of each size), 2 Js, 3 LJs, 4 SJs, and two transitionals plus a NOS, Mint in box, Deskmaster No. 112 eight ball kit.

Right now, I've got a lovely little green SJ with #9556 Firm Fine nib inked up for use. I picked this one up on the 'bay on a hunch from a listing with blurry pics and no nib description for $15.50. Turns out it has a super-smooth, brand new 9556 nib and was in fully restored working condition. I've no idea why the seller didn't include any of this in the description, but it was a bit of a sumgai find for me. :rockon:

penultress
October 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Really? I have been on a pen-buying spree recently and I was hoping it would end now! I definitely like his prices tho ...

penultress
October 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM
A red SJ was one of my first too - it's a beautiful colour, and mine's never out of my rotation. At the moment, I have it filled with Diamine Monaco Red.

Red & red? I like Diamine inks, I only have one in Amaranth. Which nib is on your red SJ?

penultress
October 8th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I'm quite fond of the Esties and have several in my collection plus a ton of extra nibs. Three dollar pens (one of each size), 2 Js, 3 LJs, 4 SJs, and two transitionals plus a NOS, Mint in box, Deskmaster No. 112 eight ball kit.

Right now, I've got a lovely little green SJ with #9556 Firm Fine nib inked up for use. I picked this one up on the 'bay on a hunch from a listing with blurry pics and no nib description for $15.50. Turns out it has a super-smooth, brand new 9556 nib and was in fully restored working condition. I've no idea why the seller didn't include any of this in the description, but it was a bit of a sumgai find for me. :rockon:

Nice collection and a nice find!

I really need to try this first one before considering a collection.

John the Monkey
October 9th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Red & red? I like Diamine inks, I only have one in Amaranth. Which nib is on your red SJ?

Yes, pen colour matched to ink colour - stops me getting confused :confused: :)

The nib is a 2442 - I like it a lot, pretty wet line, and nicely smooth.

pajaro
October 10th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I like the blue, green and silver Js, and M2s, but no black pens. I like the 9284, 9460 and 9550 nibs best, but I have one pre-WWII 2460 nib with a pin that goes through sleeve and feed.

penultress
October 13th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Well, my red SJ 9555 has arrived! I've inked it with Lake Placid Blue (an ink I've used much) and it writes beautifully! I thought the 9555 would be scratchy but there is no such scratch. Amazing!

I did end up ordering from Rick Krantz a copper LJ. I don't know when it will ship though. Has anyone else ordered?

Jon Szanto
October 13th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I did end up ordering from Rick Krantz a copper LJ. I don't know when it will ship though. Has anyone else ordered?
I did, pretty early. I might ping Rick to see when they have, or will, sent out pens.

Sailor Kenshin
October 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I emailed with nib questions, as I don't know the numbering system, just wanted either flex or stub...no reply, guess there is no interest.

penultress
October 14th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I'm hoping they've already shipped and they'll just show up in a day or two!

I don't think any of the pens offered are flex or stub, unfortunately.

Jon Szanto
October 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I emailed with nib questions, as I don't know the numbering system, just wanted either flex or stub...no reply, guess there is no interest.
I think weekends are busy for Rick, he is usually pretty good about timely replies. As for the nib numbering, this page is very helpful (http://www.snyderfamily.com/current/estienibs.htm).

I'm hoping they've already shipped and they'll just show up in a day or two!

I don't think any of the pens offered are flex or stub, unfortunately.
Haven't heard back myself, but will let the board know when I do. And, yes, it was pretty much general purpose nibs in their pens, not really anything in the stub/relief line (I looked, believe me). And while there are just one or two of the Esterbrook nibs that indicate they effect some flex, I've tried them (I still have one), and they really aren't much in the way of flexing, certainly not in the way one would go after even an Eversharp nib, not to mention the more traditional choices (Waterman, et al)

FLJeepGuy
October 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM
To be honest, Esterbrook nibs tend to the hard end of the spectrum. Their standard nibs are basically nails, their manifold nibs are even harder for use with carbon copies. The ones they label as flexible do have a little give but I've never run across a truly "flexible" Esterbrook nib. Their stubs are nice nibs, but I think most of the numbers are cut at an oblique angle as well.

KrazyIvan
October 15th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I agree with FLJeepGuy's assessment. Even if you find a nib that is semi-flex, I would be a bit leery about stressing the section with flex pressure. That's just me.

Jon Szanto
October 15th, 2012, 02:58 PM
My pens just arrived today, safe and sound. I placed my order on the first day.

penultress
October 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM
My pens just arrived today, safe and sound. I placed my order on the first day.

Great! I also got a reply from Rick that all have shipped by Saturday!

pajaro
January 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I have been trying different nibs for a few months. I like the 9048 extra flexible fine. As a lefty, I can't incorporate the flex into my writing, but it is a nice fine nib with some extra capability.

The stubs, 2284 and 9284 broad stubs are what you would expect. Smooth and wide.

The 2314-F, 2314-B, 9314-F and 9314-B are also as expected and smooth, but when turned upside down for some finer line action, they mess with my mind, as they are hard for me to orient. They are all obliques.

The best I have tried is the 2312 Italic. This is a nice medium cursive italic, or maybe the prior owner smoothed out the edges. This is what I was looking for.

audadvnc
May 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
I like my Estie nibs stock. Lefties have no need for more opportunities to mess up writing!

pajaro
May 3rd, 2013, 07:31 PM
I started into Estiedom with a resacked blue LJ. I suppose I should have stopped there.

Further acquisitions led me into resacking pens and trying out many of the nibs. I think I have resacked enough pens.

I haven't gotten a Relief pen with a gold nib, but I did find a burgundy Phaeton with a good converter, and my last pen was a Safari pump filler with a 9312 italic nib. Probably the end, because I am tired of maintaining old pens. It's interesting, but time consuming. After a resac, some look almost like a banana.

OcalaFlGuy
May 5th, 2013, 06:38 AM
After a resac, some look almost like a banana.

Then you are getting much more of the barrel much warmer than is necessary.

All you really want/need warmed is the threaded area of the open end. The faster you get that one area warm the better.
I will use my whole hand holding the barrel, wrapped around it with my thumb and first finger isolating the threaded area.
This has your fingers/hand acting as both a heat shield and a heat sink to prevent the remainder of the barrel from getting warm
enough to deform.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

carlos.q
May 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I have three Esties and various nibs. My favorite is my red Estie with either a 9668 medium nib or a 2314-F stub.

Manny
January 22nd, 2014, 04:46 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/2014-01-22_18-26-49_879_zpsc00edd61.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/2014-01-22_18-27-51_649_zpsb9a382de.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/2014-01-22_18-29-20_562_zpsb486aabe.jpg

welch
March 19th, 2014, 09:15 AM
About five or six years ago, I got a blue SJ with 9668 nib. I was hooked. It's probably time to sell some...do I really need two green fill-J's, or two silver-grey's, husrt because the pattern is slightly different? Do I really want to become a C***** with one of each color J, LJ, and SJ, plus nurse/doctor pens, plus pastel "purse pens", and then accumuklate transitionals and dollar pens????

Agh!!!!

spotted and speckled
March 19th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I should be happy with one J or two, but that's not the case. I discovered the Deluxe (metal cap) and thought I needed to buy them ALL lest I never touch one again, and now I have a trove of them. Not like some other people (ahem! are you listening?), but enough for it to count as a trove for me. The SJs and LJs found new homes, and I was left with just the Js and the Deluxes and a few oddball ones (an orange 101!), and I lived my life in Esterbrook contentment. But a few weeks ago, I bought a lot of pens to get the ONE pen I wanted to play with, and it came with an LJ or two. Now that re-homing cycle will begin again.

alc3261
March 19th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I really dislike 1555 nibs.

scrivelry
March 19th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I have a little dread Navy of Desk Pens - seriously, I have six, five are Esties and four are in black 8-ball holders. All I need to do is stick some paper sails on them, line them up and take a picture...

They have what nibs they have. I have managed to score an Osmiroid Copperplate nib and an Osmiroid Spencerian nib and a medium Rolo as well - and aside from teh desk pens I have a blue one, a black one with no cap, a black SJ and a green SKJ with a cap of a different color green, so I am currently experimenting with putting the green cap on the black body and vice versa to see if it is less annoying. Nothing in perfect shape, but I am enjoying them.

pajaro
March 19th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I really dislike 1555 nibs.If it's any comfort to you, I tend to throw away all 15XX nibs as soon as they come in.

alc3261
March 20th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I really dislike 1555 nibs.If it's any comfort to you, I tend to throw away all 15XX nibs as soon as they come in.

I certainly don't use them!! Arggg.....

LunaAzurina
March 20th, 2014, 09:05 PM
My dad remembered writing with a 1550 nib in the old country and said it was his favorite. I will buy it from you; I am planning to surprise him with an Esterbrook for his birthday in May.

sharmon202
April 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM
It would help us newer fp geeks if you lovers of Estie's would post pics of your babies. I would love to see them.

sharmon202
April 13th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I am surprised at all the negative comments. I got a 1551 at a flea market. It cleaned up in 15 minutes and writes quite smoothly. My first and only Esterbrook to date.

ardgedee
April 13th, 2014, 04:28 PM
@Manny: I've managed to amass a modest collection of 9128 nibs, and what I've discovered is they tend to arrive with partially or totally clogged feed channels.

I have one 9128 that writes wonderfully, it's really on my short list of favorite nibs and it definitely does not write dry. The others could stand to be favorites as well, if I can remove decades of dried ink from the channels.

pajaro
August 13th, 2014, 08:16 PM
A lot depends on whether the nib has received some smoothing attention or not. I have a few Esterbrook nibs that are sublime, with a velvety feel.

Hawk
October 11th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I still remember my grade school Esties. They had a red body with an inscription something like this:
Community Consolidated School District 65
Evanston, Illinois
The cap was white.
It would be neat to find one....

Frank
October 12th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I landed a black J recently with a Cross on the cap- "Church" pen??

Frank

tandaina
October 12th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Could be a pen customized for a priest or maybe a military chaplain?

southpaw52
May 7th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Just added my 10th Esterbrook, it is a Dollar one.

pajaro
May 8th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Excellent. I am glad to see another post here. The Esterbrooks are quite interesting with all the different types of nibs.

The dollar pen is even more interesting than the J series.

southpaw52
May 9th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Personally, Esterbrook quality is very good. Rarely do you see an Esterbrook in poor condition. What other pen can you buy under $50 that has an interchangeable nibs?

southpaw52
May 9th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I have a J with that has an inscribed cross in the cap. From my research that were two types made one was aftermarket and one was done in the factory. The ones done in the factory were etched into the cap supposedly for the Catholic church. Sorry the one I have is not for sale.

pajaro
May 12th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I have a J with that has an inscribed cross in the cap. From my research that were two types made one was aftermarket and one was done in the factory. The ones done in the factory were etched into the cap supposedly for the Catholic church. Sorry the one I have is not for sale.

Could you please post a picture of this pen? I hadn't even heard of such a pen. Thanks for posting about it.

Laura N
May 12th, 2015, 05:54 PM
I still remember my grade school Esties. They had a red body with an inscription something like this:
Community Consolidated School District 65
Evanston, Illinois
The cap was white.
It would be neat to find one....

I'm a proud product of District 65 myself. :)

We were given no pens, alas.

SteveE
May 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM
I'm a product of the Chicago Public School System, and we had to supply our own pens. I used a red SJ and a blue J through most of grade school. The pens had supremely smooth medium nibs, but I'm sure the smoothness was due to wear, as these were the folded-tip variety and wore more rapidly than the higher-line tipped nibs.

The Esties are still great pens. I still have them, and they probably still work, although I haven't inked them for years. I did have them re-sacked by Sam Himoto at the Universal Pen Hospital in Chicago back about 20+ years ago. Sadly, Sam passed away some time ago, and Chicago no longer has a pen repair shop downtown.

southpaw52
May 13th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Here is a picture of the inlaid cross on the cap of Esterbrook J.

Hawk
May 13th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Laura, My grade school was Washington School and graduated from ETHS IN '65.

SteveE
May 14th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Hawk - We were contemporaries, and probably competitors! I graduated from Chicago's Senn High School in '65. Time sure goes fast when you're having fun. . .