PDA

View Full Version : It all started with a free pen

chaimann
February 13th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I have been participating in InCoWriMo, but just now wandered out into the other parts of the forum. Hello from Iowa!

I was most recently enticed into fountain pendom by this review of Noodler's Heart of Darkness (http://www.pikerpress.com/article.php?aID=3894). You get a big bottle of ink AND a free pen to boot? Sign me up! I quickly learned to be careful when opening an eye-dropper pen... especially during church. Oops. Shortly after that, I was introduced to Amodex. (On a wholly unrelated note, the church has since refinished the sanctuary floor.)

I spend most of my geekdom on the lower end of the FP food chain - Preppies, Lamy Safaris, a couple of Tenneys with no discernible model info, some random thing my husband picked up at an office supply store. The fanciest pen I own is a TWSBI 540. They are still fun to ink up and write with, and I don't feel guilty about tossing them in my purse or dropping them on the floor. That hasn't stopped me from entering the monthly contests, though, in hopes of stepping up my collection.

One of the things I like best about writing with fountain pens is that it forces me to slow down just a bit, and that makes my handwriting more legible. My compliments to those of you who pursue excellence in penmanship, but I'm happy if I can just read my own writing a week later.

caribbean_skye
February 13th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Welcome welcome.

We all have to start somewhere. For me it started when I was still in single digit years when my father handed me a fountain pen with that idea that it would improve my handwriting. I'm not saying whether it has or it hasn't, but much like you, the issue is slowing down and then my handwriting is somewhat legible. I need to learn to spend at least a good fifteen minutes a day just doing nothing but writing, whether it's copying a page from the book I'm reading, newspaper article or something. Just going through the motions of writing the letters properly and slowly enough that maybe it will sink in. Yes, anytime I can read my own handwriting is a good thing.

Not sure what a Tenney is, but I know what you mean about a modest collection, but I'm sure everyone who has lovely extensive collections started off modestly (or they had a relat ive who left them an awesome collection.... care to adopt me?) The monthly contests are fun, for me it's more about getting a chance to write and if I win something, then great. Although all of those pens they keep giving away are certainly drool worthy.

Enjoy the boards and don't be afraid to ask questions.

caribbean_skye
February 13th, 2013, 05:27 PM
BTW when I get to your name on my InCoWriMo list, I'm going to attempt to write really slow. :)

writingrav
February 14th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Welcome to Geekland. I still use the Preppy I received with a Noodler's bottle also. Two others disappeared.

Tracy Lee
February 14th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Welcome Chaimann, this is a great forum full of knowledge and amusing sidebars. It also has the potential to empty the wallet the more you learn. Glad to have you here! :)

fountainpenkid
February 14th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Welcome! I've sent you a letter...expect it soon! (Thanks for the one you sent me!)

KrazyIvan
February 14th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the Dark Side chaimann.

Toffer
February 14th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Welcome, I will add you to my growing address list!

southpaw52
February 15th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Greetings welcome to the forum.