PDA

View Full Version : Lamy nib with wobble

DavidtheGnome
October 1st, 2016, 10:46 AM
One of my Lamy pens with the Z50 nib has a bit of wobble, it slides onto the feed securely but it will move off center on the feed during writing. I am confident that both the pen and nib are OEM and not counterfeit. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

dfo
October 1st, 2016, 10:48 AM
I have not had this issue. How old is the pen and how often do you change the nib?

DavidtheGnome
October 1st, 2016, 12:14 PM
I bought the pen from this forum, but the nib is only from this past summer. I don't typically go back and forth between nibs.

dfo
October 1st, 2016, 12:52 PM
Apparently, Lamy Z50 nibs tend to loosen over time. There are numerous threads on the other main fountain pen websites. To get it fixed, you can either send it into warranty or use some pliers to lightly pull in the wings of the nib together so that it will better grab the feed. I would do the latter one at your own risk.
I bought the pen from this forum, but the nib is only from this past summer. I don't typically go back and forth between nibs.

kenshiro
October 1st, 2016, 02:16 PM
Apparently, Lamy Z50 nibs tend to loosen over time. There are numerous threads on the other main fountain pen websites. To get it fixed, you can either send it into warranty or use some pliers to lightly pull in the wings of the nib together so that it will better grab the feed. I would do the latter one at your own risk.
note that if you're going to do this, either wrap the tines of the pliers in some kind of masking or duct tape, or get non-marking pliers. I have a pair of nylon pliers for just such a purpose, but can't for the life of me remember where I got them. Amazon has some non-marking pliers with nylon surfaces as well.

Armstrong
October 1st, 2016, 04:26 PM
There are a lot of nylon jaw pliers around. They sell a lot of them for jewelry making for instance. Which reminds me, I meant to order a pair for nib work.

grainweevil
October 2nd, 2016, 02:49 AM
Um, there's a method that's possibly a bit safer in that it doesn't use pliers. Credit to FPN member Fuellerfuehrerschein:

There is a do it yourself method to (re)tighten Lamy form and friction fitted nibs so they cannot slide or otherwise move overly easy on and off their feeds. The method is somewhat counterintuitive and avoids the use of metal tools that could leave tool marks on the nib. Always keep in mind to work on nibs with caution and apply force in increasing increments.

First you have to place the Lamy nib on a hard flat surface like a table. To protect the table for dents caused by the 2 small L shaped metal nib profiles resting on the table it is a good idea to put some paper between the table and the nib.
Find a rectangular straight piece of wood of roughly 20 to 25 cm (8 to 10 in) length.
Then carefully rest the piece of wood on the top of the rear part of the Lamy nib where the Lamy logo and nib type designation are written. The wood should only cover the rear part up to the breather hole or the nib size designation in case of a stub nib. Beware to keep away from the front end of the nib where the breather hole and/or nib slit is!
Now whist keeping the piece of wood parallel to the table carefully apply some downward force with your hands on the piece of wood. This will slightly deform the rear part of the Lamy nib that is used for the feed connection making it fit more tightly on the feed. Never press on the nib with great force to avoid excessive deformation! Instead gently apply pressure in increasing small increments whilst regularly checking if the rear part of the Lamy nib got deformed enough to appropriately fit on the feed.

And with that it seems I've de-lurked at last.

Cheers, Al

DavidtheGnome
October 2nd, 2016, 08:45 PM
this last suggestion (wood stick) worked great- mine just needed a tiny bit of correction and now the wobble is gone.