PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Platinum Plaisir 2017 "Nova Orange" is out

stub
October 2nd, 2016, 08:34 AM
FYI, the special edition for 2017 "Nova Orange" Platinum Plaisir is in stores now, at least here in Asia.

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/fountain_img/PGB-1000/PGB-1000_25_440_new.jpg

I never see much about the Platinum Plaisir, it is like a $15~$20 upscale Preppy and folks really love those. Perhaps it is that these have aluminum barrels and can't be eye dropper-ed so there is less excitement over them but I like them as throw around pens, they have surprisingly beefy sections, don't force you into the triangle grip like the Lami Safari, and don't have the huge step down that the Metro does. I like both those pens a lot but I find the Platinum more ergonomic and it solves, for me, the one problem I have with the preppy (which I also like): no cracking! Tough little pen, pretty finishes, is not all full of text like a billboard and every bit as good a writer, in fact here the .5 are easier to get in the Plaiser than in the preppy, which in my local B & M store is always a .3 or .2 which is too small a point for me. The .5 is nice and bold(esque). The Platinum Plaisir is a great starter pen and a great kick around pen in the tradition of the Sheaffer Cartridge pens and one I find to be a good writer if not as sturdy and handsome as the Pilot Metropolitan. Also: the Pilot Metro is not available here in Korea so the Platinum Plaisir has been a nice substitute.

&, the caps snap on like all get out and are rumored to be dry-out proof for a year. I can't attest to that but I have never had one dry out on me ever and i am not all that kind to my cheap platinum pens.

So I am unable to resist anything orange. They had *one* left in .5 (the tester, so new it wasn't bent yet! yay!) and I took one home. Will put some perverted ink in there I wouldn't dare put in my vintage pens.

Fun, study, light, & orange.

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/fountain_img/PGB-1000/PGB1000_25_img.jpg

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/e_press_28719.html

migo984
October 2nd, 2016, 09:54 AM
I've seen this for sale in the UK and really like the colour, so thanks for posting the information. I might (definitely?) have to buy one now :)

grainweevil
October 2nd, 2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the heads-up; think I might definitely have to buy one as well. Plaisirs are my go-to for potentially awkward inks such as Carbon Black and an orange one would be ideal for Super5 Delhi.

stub
October 2nd, 2016, 08:44 PM
This finish on mine is really creamy. Doesn't seem anodized. Cute pen. I usually just syringe fill a cartridge with these pens.

grainweevil
October 7th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Well, with a little tweaking to increase the flow, it is just the thing for Super5 Delhi. Attractive finish indeed. My only tiny gripe is I wish Platinum hadn't done away with the matching colour stripe down the middle of the clip - it's not just because it's gone; that was a detail I appreciated even before they dropped it!

sharmon202
October 7th, 2016, 04:35 PM
I have not seen this one but I like the Platinum Cool better than the Plasier. Look at the Cool if you might not like the metal.

Mister5
November 10th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I like the Plaisir a lot - it is one of my knock-about pens. I like that I could just take the section off a Preppy (which writes just as well as a Balance/Cool IMHO) and replace the medium on the Plaisir. So now I have an XF Gunmetal Plaisir.

The medium (0.5) I'll have to say I really had to force ink into the feed with a lot of shaking. But it's a stub-like medium.

Also, the Platinums are one pen where I'm totally OK and like using their cartridges, but might just be me - I like hearing the little ball bearing rolling around. I don't know why they don't have the ball bearing in their converters.

Faustine
November 10th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I picked up my first Platinum Plaisir at the Colorado Pen Show last month on impulse, and am both surprised and impressed by it. I took it right into a sketching workshop, where it performed like a champ. It's been carried around in my bag for a month since, and never fails to start right up when needed. No idea what ink came with it, but I'll probably syringe fill in some fun colors when it finally empties. Or else fill up with some Platinum Carbon Black and make it a dedicated drawing pen. Either way, LOVE the nova orange color. It's bright and orange in all the best ways.

JackdeSpadas
November 12th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Plaisir was my intro to fountain pens! That orange is sweet--I'll have to find me one.

I like that the nib and feed is the same as the Preppy. If you ever have any trouble, or you want to try an ink that can never touch a molecule of another, or you want a different nib size, you can swap in a different nib and feed for less that $5.

Thanks for the heads up!