PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Knight NIb Swap From Pilot Plumix

Armstrong
October 3rd, 2016, 08:24 PM
With fountain pens I write almost exclusively with stub nibs. I like the line variation a stub gives with fairly simple writing attention levels. I also like wider section diameter's as skinny pens tend to cramp my hands. I saw the Pilot Knight, and was surprised at the features it offered for the price. The Knight is not a pen you see in every online store, and may be discontinued. I know Pen Chalet is carrying them in medium nib. Bottom line, for a street price of ~ $25 USA this pen punches above it's weight. It writes very well as one would expect from Pilot, and is very reliable. It has a metal cap, clip and barrel with some heft to it. It is not heavy, but it's not light either. You know you have a pen in hand. The clip is substantial and is the hinge with spring type. The cap posts well and remains firmly in place. I do not post pens and the knight is long enough to use not posted. The cap is a push type, not a screw on type. I fits to the section very securely. The section is short and relatively wide in diameter. The grip doesn't look comfortable, but it is. The grip though polished black plastic is not slick and gives a good hold. Being Pilot it is not surprising it is a cartridge pen. I am using the Con-20 converter which works well. I like this pen a lot, but it only comes in fine and medium nib. What to do?

I use the Pilot Plumix often for note taking as an eye dropper conversion. I like the Plumix and find the grip very comfortable. But I only use eyedropper conversions at home. I don't carry them. I had a new Plumix with a 1.0mm stub that I had not put into rotation yet. So, I pulled the nib and feed from the Plumix and put it into the Knight - worked great! Simple straight forward nib and feed swap. Writes well and is just as reliable as it was originally. There are some pictures below with a writing sample. The ink is Parker's Blue/Black which appears to be a well behaved ink and feeds well in the Knight conversion.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah294/armstr0ng/Pens/20161003PilotKnightCapped_zpsrpnivcah.jpg

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah294/armstr0ng/Pens/20161003PilotKnightCappedPen_zpstacdxotg.jpg

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah294/armstr0ng/Pens/20161003PilotKnightUncappedPen_zpskiwtm6ix.jpg

Nakayama
October 5th, 2016, 03:44 AM
The same goes for the Metropolitan. Simple nib-swap.
Not certain about the Kakuno (didn't try it personally) but it does look interchangeable.

Armstrong
October 5th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Good to know, thanks!

Jon Szanto
October 5th, 2016, 12:00 PM
If you want to go in the other direction, the EF nib that comes on a Pilot Penmanship can also be swapped in the same manner.

Armstrong
October 5th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Actually, I think I have one of those nibs laying around. Might have to play with it...

brunico
October 5th, 2016, 12:31 PM
If you want to go in the other direction, the EF nib that comes on a Pilot Penmanship can also be swapped in the same manner.

If you want to go back the way you came and then some, get a Plumix BB nib. (This, like the Plumix EF, is hard to find, though - mine was an "extrabreit" on German Ebay.)

Armstrong
October 5th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Never seen one with that nib. Have to do some searching...