PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Chicago! :)

TheRoXFiles
February 16th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Heya, folks! :)

I'm Theresa. I've mostly been lurking here, but I thought today would be a good day to jump in and say hello. :)

I'm pretty new to fountain pens. I've been using them for about two months now, more or less. But I love the pens I've got so far. I love 'em so much that I've given each one a name. (Sometimes two names, mostly because I haven't decided which name to settle on.) Here are the pens I've got:

--a Lamy Vista with a medium nib (aka: "Sheldon" from "Big Bang Theory." Actually, his whole name should be: Sheldon Lee "Shelly" Cooper, B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D., but who's counting? :P)
--a green Lamy Safari with a fine nib (aka: "Elphaba" from the book/musical "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West")
--a pink Lamy Safari with a medium nib (aka: either "G(a)linda" from "Wicked" or "Elle Woods" from "Legally Blonde: The Musical"...still haven't decided which name to pick yet)
--a black Pilot Metropolitan with zig-zag trim (aka @SeverusSSnape, after my favorite fictional character at Twitter)
--a clear TWSBI Mini with a fine nib (aka: "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" from "The Fifth Element")
--a blue TWSBI Vac 700 with a medium nib (aka: "John Smith," aka "The Doctor" from "Doctor Who")
--a Zebra V-301 FP fountain pen (aka: "Oscar the Grouch" from "Sesame Street" Gotswana from "Book of Mormon")
--a clear TWSBI Diamond 580 with a 1.1 mm stub nib...baby's first stub nib (aka: "Clara Oswin Oswald," aka "Soufflé Girl," from "Doctor Who")

Out of these, I'm liking Leeloo the best so far. Leeloo's been my go-to pen at work. I've got her filled with Noodler's Black, and the fine nib is great for writing the really tiny spaces on the forms I have to fill out at the office.

I've been participating in InCoWriMo, and the pen I've chosen to use for my letters is @SeverusSSnape, coupled with Noodler's Ottoman Rose. (I suspect that if @SeverusSSnape ever found out, he wouldn't be happy, to say the least. :P)

I'm glad to be here, and I hope to get to know more folks here and learn a lot about fountain pens :)

Tracy Lee
February 16th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Welcome, welcome!

fountainpenkid
February 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Welcome!

TheRoXFiles
February 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Heya, folks! Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here :D

Toffer
February 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hello nice pen collection!

TheRoXFiles
February 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks, Toffer! :)

manoeuver
February 16th, 2013, 03:56 PM
had to manually unfurrow my brows just then.

caribbean_skye
February 16th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Welcome welcome.

I'm digging the names but I'd probably pick Elle Woods over Galinda (but I also haven't seen/read Wicked) for the pink Lamy Safari.

writingrav
February 16th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Welcome to Geekland! A most intriguing introduction!

TheRoXFiles
February 16th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Pardon me? :)

TheRoXFiles
February 16th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome, folks! :) And as for this...

I'm digging the names but I'd probably pick Elle Woods over Galinda (but I also haven't seen/read Wicked) for the pink Lamy Safari.

...well, I like the name "G(a)linda" because I like "Wicked." Not so fond of "Glinda" as a character, but I figure that if I have one pen named Elphaba, then perhaps the other one has to be named "G(a)linda"? (For my pen's name, I like keeping the name as "G(a)linda" because in "Wicked," she starts out as "Galinda," then changes it to "Glinda" later, to honor a professor at her school who was murdered.) But Elle Woods is awesome, too. If I remember right, she passed the LSAT with flying colors in both the movie and the musical...though in the musical, she just barely slides by. She passes that exam, although her undergrad major was "fashion merchandising." And personally, I think the musical does a better job of showing Elle working hard and eventually becoming the valedictorian for her class. I think it also showed that Elle was smart all along...it's just that at the beginning of the musical, her world was a lot smaller and less complex. It took Elle some doing to roll with the punches at Harvard, but she rose to the challenge and even got to propose to her man, Emmett, at the very end.

Maybe I'll be able to decide on a name when I actually get around to using this pen. I've at least flushed it out, so it's ready to get inked up. Then again...maybe there's room for both somehow. If I remember right, actresses who have portrayed Glinda in "Wicked" have also played Elle in "Legally Blonde"? So it's like they're two sides of the same coin. I'll have to see. :)

caribbean_skye
February 16th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Okay, now I'm going to have to not only bump Wicked up on my reading list but also have to check out the musical. I didn't even realise they made Legally Blonde into a musical. Will add that to my list too.

TheRoXFiles
February 16th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Okay, now I'm going to have to not only bump Wicked up on my reading list but also have to check out the musical. I didn't even realise they made Legally Blonde into a musical. Will add that to my list too.

Yep! :) Personally, I suggest checking out the book first. It's by Gregory Maguire. One thing I don't like about the musical is that it oversimplified the book. I understand that the entire book would be really long (and not possible, practical or feasible) to pull off on a stage, but still... :/

As for Legally Blonde? Here is the musical...it aired on MTV a LOT when it first came out: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xjkscx9Osmw

Laura Bell Bundy, who was the first actress to play Elle in the musical, was also Glinda. I can't remember if she was Kristin Chenoweth's understudy, maybe...?

KrazyIvan
February 18th, 2013, 08:49 AM
It looks like you are off to a good start. Welcome to the Dark Side.

TheRoXFiles
February 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM
It looks like you are off to a good start. Welcome to the Dark Side.

Thanks, KrazyIvan! Glad to be here :)

Bogon07
February 19th, 2013, 08:17 PM
A belated hi TheRoXFiles and welcome to the FPG forum.

All those Lamys and a pen named "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" from "The Fifth Element" (for some reason that made me think of a white & orange mechanical pencil I have).

TheRoXFiles
February 19th, 2013, 08:43 PM
A belated hi TheRoXFiles and welcome to the FPG forum.

All those Lamys and a pen named "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" from "The Fifth Element" (for some reason that made me think of a white & orange mechanical pencil I have).

Hehe...well, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Vista/Safari/Al-Star pens from Lamy. Sheldon was my first pen and he's served me well. And then I just had to have that Elphaba-green pen. And the G(a)linda pink pen. :P

As for why I call the TWSBI Mini "Leeloo Dallas Multipass"...well, at first, I was thinking of naming it after something small. For instance, I love Boo the dog (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0l7cqI3WN1qbp6fxo1_500.jpg), and "Boo" was a name I was considering for my pen. And in "Wicked," there's a Munchkinlander named Boq, so I was considering that too. And then I was thinking...well, this would be easier if I had a TWSBI Diamond 540. If I had one of those, then the TWSBI Mini could be called "Mini Me" and the Diamond 540 could be "Dr. Evil." And then, out of nowhere, "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" popped into my head, and I decided that would be my pen's name. I figured that if I couldn't think of how to name my pen after something (or someone) small, then I'd give it the longest name I could think of off the top of my head. :)

Besides...this is one of my favorite parts from "The Fifth Element": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_eGm1qgGs

Moooolllteeeeepass...! :P

southpaw52
February 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Greetings and welcome to FPGeeks.

TheRoXFiles
February 20th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hi, southpaw52! Thanks for the welcome :)

Greg Minuskin
February 21st, 2013, 10:06 PM
Welcome! You will find the folks here at the FP Geeks really a great place to be, and if you need any nib work, I would love to hear from you!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

TheRoXFiles
February 22nd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Greg! :)

I wonder if I've got a name for my pink Lamy Safari after all. As folks can see, I've been naming pens after characters from my favorite movies, books, TV shows or musicals. I haven't mixed together names of characters yet, but maybe it's time to do that with the pink one. Perhaps my pen can be called "G(a)linda E. Woods"? Or...Glinda's full name, in "Wicked," is: "Glinda Arduenna of the Uplands." Surely there's gotta be room to shove "Elle Woods" somewhere in there. :P

TonyJones
February 23rd, 2013, 02:17 AM
Leeloo Dallas Multipass has put a smile on my face :) love that film!

Hello, from a fellow noobie!

Sent from my mobile box with lots of transistors inside using Tapatalk 2

TheRoXFiles
February 23rd, 2013, 04:25 AM
Hi there, Tony! Thanks to me for the welcome! :)

ilangai
February 24th, 2013, 04:22 AM
A late welcome Theresa.. Have to say I like that you named your pens :) Made me think of names for mine.. We'll see how it goes eventually ;)

TheRoXFiles
February 24th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Hi, ilangai! Thanks for the welcome :D

Well...it's never too late to name your pens, right? And it's so odd, too...fountain pens are the only inanimate objects I'd name. I've heard of other gadget geeks naming their iDevices--their iPods, iPhones or iPads. That kind of thing never appealed to me before, but fountain pens are different to me for some reason. Maybe it's a sign that I think fountain pens are truly special, as far as gadgets go. (I do happen to consider fountain pens to be gadgets. Other pens are just pens, but fountain pens are gadgets to me.)

vhr5
February 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Greetings and Salutations, RoX! It's good to see you here also at the forum!
Welcome aboard!!! :welcome:

TheRoXFiles
February 25th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome :D

TheRoXFiles
February 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Good morning, folks!

Not sure if this would be the right place to put this, but as of last night, I have one more pen to add to my growing list o' pens. I call him: John Smith. Here he is. (And included in this pic is my pen case. Zipped up and closed, it looks like an eyeglass case. Unzip it, stand it up and fold down the top half, and you have a soft pen jar.)

I call this pen "John Smith" because this blue Vac 700 reminds me of this guy:

I may not have a sonic screwdriver or be able to travel through all of time and space in a little blue police box, but a having this Vac 700 isn't so bad, either. :P :)

I would've wanted to fill John with Baystate Blue. Not so sure about whether I should do that with this pen, though, because it's the most expensive pen I own and even though it's already blue, well...I still wouldn't want to somehow ruin it. So I'm planning on filling John up with Noodler's Eel Blue instead. I think it's fitting that a blue pen named "John Smith" (or otherwise calls himself "The Doctor") should have blue ink in it. :)

caribbean_skye
February 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Ooooh a new cast member added to your collection. Let us know how you enjoy playing with John Smith. My blue TWSBI is the 540 but I'm hoping to get the Vac sometime in clear.

KrazyIvan
February 27th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Nice. I think I am going to hold out for the Vac mini. :P:crazy_pilot:

TheRoXFiles
February 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Nice. I think I am going to hold out for the Vac mini. :P:crazy_pilot:

Oooooh...if I had a Vac Mini, then John Smith would have a companion! I wonder what I'd name her...Rose Tyler? Donna Noble? Martha Jones? They were all such great companions. Or...darn...what was the name of that one lady he fell in love with in the "Family of Blood" 2-part episode where The Doctor used the Chameleon Arch to make himself look human and wipe out his Time-Lord memories...? Oooooh...or maybe I'd even call her "River Song," or "Melody Pond." And the very first words I'd write with that pen would be: Hello, sweetie. :)

I know I wouldn't name her Amy (or Amelia) Pond, although I'm fond of the name. I'd be tempted to make the companion a "he" and name him Rory Williams because I thought he was all right. Or...what was Rory's dad's name? All I know about him is that the guy who played him was Mr. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies.

I have to say, too...if I didn't name this pen "John Smith"/"The Doctor," then I'd most likely name it "Bleu," after the character in the latest book I'm reading, "Sacre Bleu" by Christopher Moore. Bleu is cool, as far as characters go in Christopher Moore's books. But no...I was really keen on wanting to do a nod to Doctor Who--and the Tenth Doctor, who is "my" Doctor. My favorite Doctor. :)

TheRoXFiles
March 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Might as well add this here...

I do have one more fountain pen to add to my growing collection. It cost me all of $4.49 at Walgreens--and maybe this is enough to give away what this pen is. But here's a picture:

This is the Zebra V-301 FP fountain pen. I don't think I've ever seen fountain pens for sale at Walgreens before...or any drugstore or supermarket in my neighborhood, come to think of it...so I shrugged and bought it.

After I got it home, I did some sleuthing online to see what this pen was all about. Good thing, too--because it seems this isn't such a great pen, judging from all the reviews I've seen for it. And I'd agree--I think this is the first pen I've bought that I'm not wild about. On the one hand, what was I expecting for $4.49 at Walgreens, although there are pens that cheap that have smoother nibs, for instance? On the other hand, well...I'm glad this wasn't my first fountain pen. I think that if I hadn't done the sleuthing, I wouldn't have known that this pen's got issues and it seems that it writes better if you replace the ink in the included cartridges with your own ink. I wouldn't have been experienced enough to know I could use one of my ink syringes to take the ink out of the original cartridges and replace it with something better. I think this pen would leave a very bad taste in my mouth if it was my very first fountain pen and I tried using it right away, right out of the blister packaging without prepping it first because I wouldn't have known any better...and what a shame, too. :(

Anyway--of course, I have to give this pen a name. I haven't decided which of these two names I want to call it:

1) Oscar the Grouch
2) Buster (named after "Buster" the crash-test dummy from "Mythbusters")

...I have no idea why I'd want to call this pen "Oscar the Grouch," but it was the first thing that came to mind. And the fact that I don't know why I'd give this pen this particular name cracks me up. XD Truth be told, I don't think this pen is particularly grouchy. It's just a pen. Maybe it's the metal outside that makes me think of Oscar's trash can. I dunno. But I think it'd be a funny name to give this pen. :)

Meanwhile, I think "Buster" describes what I intend to do with this pen. It'll be my crash-test dummy of sorts with sampling inks. Or I'll use Baystate Blue in there. I don't care what Baystate Blue would do, if anything, to a $4.49 pen.

So...which name should I give this pen? Any ideas? :)

caribbean_skye
March 2nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
Are you sure you don't want to call it Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes)?

TheRoXFiles
March 2nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Are you sure you don't want to call it Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes)?

Hmmm! That's an idea :) Or...I'm not sure why "Kramer" (from "Seinfeld") came to mind just now, too, but maybe I'll throw that into the ring too. I'm not sure if this pen is a "Kramer," though. It's cheap but not odd. It doesn't burst into rooms and say "Hey, buddy!" It doesn't live in an apartment with chicken wire on the windows. It hasn't invented a giant ball of oil (for oil spills...) and it doesn't work for or own Kramerica Industries.

Then again--this pen isn't six-years-old (I don't think) and doesn't own a stuffed tiger. Nor does it live in a trash can and have an elephant as a pet. Nor does it get blown up by a couple of crazy guys in the special effects community out in Hollywood.

I think I just made things a little more complicated for myself and my choice of pen name. XD