PDA

View Full Version : Esterbrook help

Toffer
February 17th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I have just won an Esterbrook on eBay :) But I have a couple of questions:
1 How do you fill it? I think Its a J double jewel so with the lever, but how does that work?! Lol
2 How do I know if the sac needs replacing?
3 If said sac needs replacing where can I purchase replacements and shellac etc in the UK?
Thanks!!

fountainpenkid
February 17th, 2013, 11:58 AM
You pull the lever out and let it snap back once or twice.
If when you pull the lever, you hear a crunching sound, then the sac has completely ossified and will need to be replaced. But even if it all seems fine, if your pen starts to leak, then replace the sac.
Nimishura pens is in the U.S but is highly recommended and affordable. Shellac can really just be any old shellac, regular kind though. No real need to buy it from the pen guys if you can get it cheap somewhere else...

Good Luck!

Jon Szanto
February 17th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Another tip: if you move the lever, and don't feel a lot of resistance and/or cracking sounds, you may be ok. At this point, I would suggest the following...

Don't try to fill it with ink (you must have a bottle of ink at this point, right?). Fill a glass or container with water. When filling a lever-filler pen like this (and many others), you are going to dip the pen into the liquid (water, in this case) just past the end of the nib, just covering a little bit of the section (the black part on the Esterbrook that you'll hold the pen with when you write). Then you pull the lever forward, and you should notice some air bubbles come up, as the sac is pressed and the air squeezed out of it. Let the lever move back into it's flat position and hold the pen there for 5 or so seconds. This allows the sac to expand and draw the ink up through the nib.

Since it is used, move the pen over a sink or other container and then open the lever again. This should accomplish a couple things:

- it will expel the water. If it doesn't, that means no water got sucked up, and you probably have a sac with a leak (or worse) that needs replacing.
- if the water does expel, see if it is darkly (or even lightly) tinted with ink. If pens haven't be flushed, the addition of water will reconstitute any dried ink, sometimes almost as strong as regular ink. If water doesn't come out pretty darn clear, repeat the filling and expelling until the water is quite clear. This is how you flush the pen, and how you both keep old ink from getting mixed in your bottle of good ink, and also making sure that lovely bright pink ink you are loading doesn't turn brown because you've got the residue of green ink in the pen.

Hope that helps...

Toffer
February 17th, 2013, 12:51 PM
OK cheers yep that helps!! Looking forward to getting it now!!

fountainpenkid
February 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Another tip: if you move the lever, and don't feel a lot of resistance and/or cracking sounds, you may be ok. At this point, I would suggest the following...

Don't try to fill it with ink (you must have a bottle of ink at this point, right?). Fill a glass or container with water. When filling a lever-filler pen like this (and many others), you are going to dip the pen into the liquid (water, in this case) just past the end of the nib, just covering a little bit of the section (the black part on the Esterbrook that you'll hold the pen with when you write). Then you pull the lever forward, and you should notice some air bubbles come up, as the sac is pressed and the air squeezed out of it. Let the lever move back into it's flat position and hold the pen there for 5 or so seconds. This allows the sac to expand and draw the ink up through the nib.

Since it is used, move the pen over a sink or other container and then open the lever again. This should accomplish a couple things:

- it will expel the water. If it doesn't, that means no water got sucked up, and you probably have a sac with a leak (or worse) that needs replacing.
- if the water does expel, see if it is darkly (or even lightly) tinted with ink. If pens haven't be flushed, the addition of water will reconstitute any dried ink, sometimes almost as strong as regular ink. If water doesn't come out pretty darn clear, repeat the filling and expelling until the water is quite clear. This is how you flush the pen, and how you both keep old ink from getting mixed in your bottle of good ink, and also making sure that lovely bright pink ink you are loading doesn't turn brown because you've got the residue of green ink in the pen.

Hope that helps...

+1000
Yep. great explanation

KrazyIvan
February 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I'll add that if it has a lot of ink, soaking the nib unit overnight might be a good idea. The nib units unscrew from the section. You should only need very light pressure to unscrew it. This also gives you access to the sack for cleaning with a syringe. Don't soak the barrel as there are metal parts inside that can corrode.

AndreasDavour
February 19th, 2013, 03:02 PM
KrazyIvan's suggestion is good. Definitely unscrew the nib unit and soak it. Another thing to look out for is if the lever snaps back at once when you drop it. If it doesn't you might have a wonky J bar.

Toffer
February 21st, 2013, 02:43 PM
Received it today, gave it a flush and let the nib unit soak but couldn't wait until tomorrow so just filled it!! It seems to work fine so far, it sucked up some ink at least! It writes very fine and is a little scratchy compared to my Safari's but it is finer than my fine nibs on those so that may be why. But really pleased with it overall!

Manny
April 25th, 2013, 10:01 AM
A little help here please.
I need a J-bar for an LJ. Suggestions where to get one, or perhaps how to fabricate one?
I've got big plans for this pen.

Thanks, and y'all are doin' an awesome job--I really mean that.

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Anderson Pens, the Estie expert. :)

Manny
April 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Ivan.
Oh, yeah...BIG PLANS for this LJ...if you know what I mean.

Manny
April 25th, 2013, 10:18 AM
So, the 54mm J-Bar from Anderson Pens will fit all J models?

caleath
April 25th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I would contact them by message on the site, Brian is quick to get an answer back to you.

jor412
April 26th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Received it today, gave it a flush and let the nib unit soak but couldn't wait until tomorrow so just filled it!! It seems to work fine so far, it sucked up some ink at least! It writes very fine and is a little scratchy compared to my Safari's but it is finer than my fine nibs on those so that may be why. But really pleased with it overall!

What # is engraved on the nib?

pajaro
April 28th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Yes, it will fit. Brian wouldn't send you something that wouldn't work.

Manny
April 28th, 2013, 11:07 PM
cool, thanks.

OakIris
April 30th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Good to hear that your pen is working and you like it. One of the wonderful things about Esterbrooks is that there are so many different nibs available; if the one you have is too fine and scratchy, there are plenty more to choose from. Here is a excellent resource where you can take a look at most of the nibs made for the Esterbrook "J" pens, etc., and decide upon which ones you want to chase! Snyder Family Esterbrook nib chart (http://snyderfamily.com/current/estienibs.htm)

I will add that one of my nibs, marked as 1554, which according to the chart linked is a "firm fine" and has no tipping material, is probably one of the smoothest nibs I have. I don't know if this is due to some variation in the manufacture of these nibs, or if someone before me did some work on it, but it almost looks like a stub to me. I love using it!

Anyway, the chart will give you some idea of what to expect from the nib according to its numerical designation and hopefully will be of some help to you. :)

Holly

audadvnc
May 2nd, 2013, 09:53 AM
Any lever pen of that vintage that has not been recently maintained will need a new sac. I believe that Pendemonium has all the materials you need to bring your pen back to tip-top shape.