PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan Repair

Sagebrush64
October 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Since I've received no love over on the Repair forum, I thought I'd pose the same question here.
Can anyone recommend somewhere to send my beloved Pelikan P495 that has a seized piston???
TIA,
James

piscov
October 11th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Have you tried to unscrew the section and put a dab of silicone grease in the piston?

christof
October 11th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Vasco, I am not sure if that works on this model.
I think the whole mechanincs must be screwed out to lube the piston.

Can you turn the filler knob?
C.

Sagebrush64
October 12th, 2016, 01:02 AM
Thanks C.
The knob will turn after much coaxing but I am very uncomfortable though with the amount of pressure it takes. It is my understanding that the late model P60's are not able to be disassembled from the section/ink window like the older versions are. I don't have a spanner that will do the job to remove the piston mechanism from the rear, so I'm hoping there is someone out there who can do this for me.
Regards,
James

whych
October 12th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Soak the whole pen in water and try and get some water into the piston. Have patience and don't try to force it.
When you get it to move, keep flushing it till you get the ink out from both sides of the piston. Usually ink migrates to the back of the piston and dries. Getting rid of the ink from both sides of the piston is enough that the piston will move freely.

I put a post with pics on these pens on FPN in the Pelikan section a while ago which will show how to get the piston removed if it still doesn't move freely and you want to lube it.

christof
October 12th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I use a caliper as a spanner.
soaking before will help.
c.

Sagebrush64
October 12th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Hhhhhmmmm.....caliper as in micrometer???? I'm soaking it again......following your suggestion. Do you recommend the glycerine treatment??

christof
October 12th, 2016, 10:25 PM
I don't know the glycerine treatement. But here comes a picture of the caliper:

christof
October 12th, 2016, 10:26 PM
...and note: the piston is left hand threaded as all Pelikans.
...and further soaking will probably not help that much when the pen has been cleaned before.

C.

Sagebrush64
October 13th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Agreed. After soaking overnight, there is a bit of improvement, but not enough to call it good. I have a micrometer that I will try over the weekend.
Again, Thank you for your help and advice.
Regards,
James