PDA

View Full Version : The Road to a Nakaya

penwash
October 11th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Well guess what, I bought a Nakaya. Saved for it almost a year and here it is on my desk.

I figure I'll write something that can serve as an input for those who are considering to get one:
http://willvintage.nextcoder.com/2016/10/11/the-road-to-a-nakaya-fountain-pen

The article looks like this (click the above link to read it):
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5337/30177741811_98bf016a36_h.jpg

jar
October 11th, 2016, 05:39 PM
While the road may be less traveled it is certainly as fair.

Brilliant Bill
October 11th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Nicely done!!

amk
October 12th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Super article. I hadn't thought about the heki tamenuri / matcha link before, but now you mention it, it's obvious!

penwash
October 12th, 2016, 09:49 AM
While the road may be less traveled it is certainly as fair.

Well said, your reviews of Japanese fountain pens are one of the source of inspiration.

Nicely done!!

Thank you kindly, I have seen how structured your thought process is, so your compliment is highly appreciated.

Super article. I hadn't thought about the heki tamenuri / matcha link before, but now you mention it, it's obvious!

Isn't that cool? I don't know why I immediately think of green-tea when I saw a picture of the Heki-tamenuri. Too much watching anime probably :)

carlc
October 13th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Excellent article!

Interestingly it has made me no longer want a Nakaya due to your comment about 'just another pen'. You're right for me it would have been just another pen (albeit a beautiful one) and thus the effort and money put into acquiring one seems to no longer be justified for my circumstances. However I will still enjoy looking at Nakayas belonging others on the forum and look forward to many more photographs from owners.

For the record - I am merely posting about my thoughts on acquiring a Nakaya - as noted by Penwash each of us has their own journey and reasons and I am in no way denigrating the purchase or owning of such beauty and craftsmanship.

Waski_the_Squirrel
October 13th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Agreed on the finish. I've evolved a bit on it, but this is now my favorite. Less so on the model. I went on this same savings journey a few years ago, got there, and just couldn't do it.

And, suddenly, after reading your article, I'm considering it all over again. You reminded me why I really want a Nakaya.

penwash
October 13th, 2016, 05:24 PM
Excellent article!

Interestingly it has made me no longer want a Nakaya due to your comment about 'just another pen'. You're right for me it would have been just another pen (albeit a beautiful one) and thus the effort and money put into acquiring one seems to no longer be justified for my circumstances. However I will still enjoy looking at Nakayas belonging others on the forum and look forward to many more photographs from owners.

For the record - I am merely posting about my thoughts on acquiring a Nakaya - as noted by Penwash each of us has their own journey and reasons and I am in no way denigrating the purchase or owning of such beauty and craftsmanship.

(I thought I already posted this, oh well... Take #2).

Carl,
Reading that my writing gave you a pause actually makes me glad. Because that means the writing achieved what I intended for it. To give input to those who are considering the pen.

I am the same way, there are pens whom others go crazy about that to me, it's just another pen. And the more info I can read about the pen, the more informed my decision would be.

So, thank you!

carlc
October 14th, 2016, 01:59 AM
Excellent article!

(I thought I already posted this, oh well... Take #2).

Carl,
Reading that my writing gave you a pause actually makes me glad. Because that means the writing achieved what I intended for it. To give input to those who are considering the pen.

I am the same way, there are pens whom others go crazy about that to me, it's just another pen. And the more info I can read about the pen, the more informed my decision would be.

So, thank you!
You did then it disappeared - either Geeks or Tapatalk is playing up.

jar
October 14th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Well said, your reviews of Japanese fountain pens are one of the source of inspiration.
:)

Not a review but jess pen pron.

http://www.fototime.com/9DC7E14E4C5388D/large.jpg

What is interesting to me is that the two Portable Writers really are quite different shapes, dimensions, weights ...

http://www.fototime.com/F79907FDFC7E383/medium800.jpg

The facets on the pens are simply the result of a super sunny sky and super glossy paper under a tent.