PDA

View Full Version : Writer's knapsack/backpack

FredRydr
October 15th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I'm looking for small backpack that is convenient for writing and carrying pens, ink, paper and a writing surface.

Has anyone else evaluated what's available?

Fred

Paddler
October 15th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Filson has many day pack size backpacks. They are a little pricey, but the quality is great.
I carry one of their canvas medium field bags for writing and photography. It is not a backpack. It is carried like a messenger bag; keeps things handier that way.

The Duluth Trading Co. has a "Women's Messenger Bag" that can be used either way. Looks unisex to me.

Chrissy
October 15th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I'm sure Fred could channel his female side. :pound:

KrazyIvan
October 15th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Depending on the writing surface size I really like the Professional Slim Junior Laptop Backpack by eBags. It is small but has a plethora of organization. Fits quite a bit of my stuff even though it is the "small" size. They do have a larger one, as the name suggests. It runs normally for around $75 and the larger one goes for around $100. I was able to get mine in a graphite color for $49 shipped over the summer when they had a sale. It does go on sale every 4 months or so it seems. The bottom front zip compartment is separated from the rest of the bag and could serve as an ink storage area. http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-slim-junior-laptop-backpack/318268?productid=10452816&CAWELAID=120011660002137693&sourceid=MSNKPRODBP&couponid=94790994&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20Backpacks%20-%20Adaptive&adcampaignid=31597402&adgroup=Backpacks&adgroupid=2969921133&addisttype=Search

Jon Szanto
October 15th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Depending on the writing surface size I really like the Professional Slim Junior Laptop Backpack by eBags.

I've had in the back of my mind to replace an aging laptop backpack, and that one is sweet! And welcome back - where've you been, Ivan?

FredRydr
October 15th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Ivan; that's perfect! As for my female side, Chrissy, I'll order blue, or maybe black. I can't make up my mind.

Fred

Jon Szanto
October 15th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks, Ivan; that's perfect! As for my female side, Chrissy, I'll order blue, or maybe black. I can't make up my mind.

"No, no, just keep looking, take your time and make up your mind. I'm going to go sit down over here while you decide."

http://incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/men-waiting-for-women-shopping-1.jpg

KrazyIvan
October 21st, 2016, 01:14 PM
Depending on the writing surface size I really like the Professional Slim Junior Laptop Backpack by eBags.

I've had in the back of my mind to replace an aging laptop backpack, and that one is sweet! And welcome back - where've you been, Ivan?

I stop in every few weeks but I don't post as much. Time has been working against me as of late. :)

KrazyIvan
November 3rd, 2016, 09:17 AM
Just an update, there are 3 sizes to this pack. There is another one that is larger than the original one posted and runs about $199. The middle size is on sale right now for $109.00 - you have to sign up for the email adverts to get the discount.

StacyBean
November 4th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I highly recommend the Tom Bihn Synapse backpack.

Scooby921
November 10th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Depending on the writing surface size I really like the Professional Slim Junior Laptop Backpack by eBags. It is small but has a plethora of organization. Fits quite a bit of my stuff even though it is the "small" size. They do have a larger one, as the name suggests. It runs normally for around $75 and the larger one goes for around $100. I was able to get mine in a graphite color for $49 shipped over the summer when they had a sale. It does go on sale every 4 months or so it seems. The bottom front zip compartment is separated from the rest of the bag and could serve as an ink storage area. http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-slim-junior-laptop-backpack/318268?productid=10452816&CAWELAID=120011660002137693&sourceid=MSNKPRODBP&couponid=94790994&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20Backpacks%20-%20Adaptive&adcampaignid=31597402&adgroup=Backpacks&adgroupid=2969921133&addisttype=Search
Thank you for posting this. I just happened to stumble across this thread, followed your link, and wound up with a new laptop bag. It arrived last night and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I will say the Junior isn't going to fit more than a 15.6" screen laptop, but the rest of the size is just right for daily carry to work. It's no bigger or smaller than what it replaced, but it is better designed for organization so I'm not stacking things on top of each other and having to dig for them.

An old bloke
November 27th, 2016, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=FredRydr;185563]http://incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/men-waiting-for-women-shopping-1.jpg

I've been saying that every shopping mall on the planet should have a husband/boyfriend parking zone so women can truly enjoy themselves without us embarrassing them with bored, impatient looks. You know it would have to be a place with big screen TVs, billiards tables, comfy chairs, a good variety of food and drink.

I think I just described a sports bar.

FredRydr
January 1st, 2017, 09:43 PM
KrazyIvan's recommendation turned out to be a better design and value than I thought. I ended up buying two at $59 each, one of which my son was delighted to receive for Christmas. He preferred the grey, so eBags exchanged a black for a grey model at no cost, and even paid for the return shipping! I'm very pleased.

As much as I wanted a Jefferson Writing Desk (writing slope), the eBag is much more practical. :thumb:

http://cdn1.ebags.com/is/image/im2/249582_3_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=200&wid=200&align=0,1 http://www.writing-slope.com/images/Jefferson-Desk-Plans.jpg

Fred

Dreck
January 2nd, 2017, 08:51 AM
I'm sorry I missed this thread when it first came around. My personal recommendation (i.e. what I use) is a Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag. It's crazy durable. The bag itself is made of 1000 denier nylon cordura, and the shoulder strap is made of 2" seat belt webbing. It measures 14" x 18" x 4.5", which is sufficient for a laptop as well as a folder or whatever you keep your spare stationery in. The 2 front pockets are huge (9" x 8" x 2"), and can easily accommodate pens and inks. Because it's a Maxpedition, it's covered on the inside with loop velcro so that accessories (like pen pockets, admin pouches, or separator panels) can be placed wherever needed. I put a pen pouch in one of the front pockets, and it left enough room in the bottom of the pocket for a 50ml bottle of ink. As an extra added bonus, this bag fills the gap between a functional messenger bag and a CCW resource.

scrivelry
January 2nd, 2017, 09:05 AM

As much as I wanted a Jefferson Writing Desk (writing slope), the eBag is much more practical. :thumb:

http://cdn1.ebags.com/is/image/im2/249582_3_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=200&wid=200&align=0,1 http://www.writing-slope.com/images/Jefferson-Desk-Plans.jpg

Fred

I am greedy. I would want the Jefferson desk AND a bag to carry it in...

KrazyIvan
January 2nd, 2017, 01:27 PM
Glad you like it. Mine has been my EDC bag since I bought it and it looks new. I have been very happy with it.

KrazyIvan
January 2nd, 2017, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry I missed this thread when it first came around. My personal recommendation (i.e. what I use) is a Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag. It's crazy durable. The bag itself is made of 1000 denier nylon cordura, and the shoulder strap is made of 2" seat belt webbing. It measures 14" x 18" x 4.5", which is sufficient for a laptop as well as a folder or whatever you keep your spare stationery in. The 2 front pockets are huge (9" x 8" x 2"), and can easily accommodate pens and inks. Because it's a Maxpedition, it's covered on the inside with loop velcro so that accessories (like pen pockets, admin pouches, or separator panels) can be placed wherever needed. I put a pen pouch in one of the front pockets, and it left enough room in the bottom of the pocket for a 50ml bottle of ink. As an extra added bonus, this bag fills the gap between a functional messenger bag and a CCW resource.

I have the Falcon II, Sitka and FatBoy along with various pouches. All are great for their respective uses. I just don't like that there is very little padding to protect electronics. If it's just for stationery I would pick the Sitka.

FredRydr
January 2nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
Glad you like it. Mine has been my EDC bag since I bought it and it looks new. I have been very happy with it.
There wasn't much of a description online, so I scanned the tag for this thread. Remember that I wanted a knapsack design, not a briefcase (I have those already), but this will serve as both with its handles on top and side, and the pass-through for sliding the pack down on the handle of a wheeled suitcase is very cool.

Just so no one is misled, this pack does not try to mimic a decades-old canvas pack or bag as though it's a period item like a fountain pen. It's a techie design that fits a writer's needs remarkably well, especially for traveling with pens, paper and ink, fountain pen "stuff" and a notebook computer, and at a great price.

Fred

Jon Szanto
January 2nd, 2017, 03:07 PM
Fred, maybe you could answer a question I couldn't quite suss out just by looking online: they seem to imply that the shoulder straps can be tucked in and/or hidden/stowed-away within the bag design, making for a 'clean' bag with nothing hanging out to get caught on stuff as you carry it with the handles. Is this the case, or do the shoulder straps always... just hang there?

FredRydr
January 2nd, 2017, 03:52 PM
Jon, here are photos of the two bags. The black bag has the shoulder straps out, and the grey bag has them tucked away. By the way, the grey has some fancy name (heatherstone?). They have blue, too.

Here are more photos with a pen (149) and four ink bottles to give a sense of proportion. The lower area is surrounded by a hard shell.

There are two major padded pockets, each accessed by separate zips that go across the top and down one side. One pocket is deep enough for several tablets, books and a fountain pen case. The other narrower pocket is where I'd keep my MacBook, against the back padding, and room for a legal pad or two next to it. There is also a zipped padded slot at the top of the bag for an iPad.

There are more pockets you may see in the photos than what I've described. I have no idea what eBags does insofar as setting prices, but clearly they go down from their list price. KrazyIvan bought his $10 less than I did.

Fred

Jon Szanto
January 2nd, 2017, 04:00 PM
Most excellent. You always deliver, Fred!