PDA

View Full Version : Latest Diamine Shimmer inks: Quick Look

Chrissy
October 15th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Diamine sent me samples of their latest 12 shimmer inks to try out, and I've had 12 pens inked with them for over a week now.

So here is a quick look at the colours. Maybe I should have separated Caramel Sparkle and Pink Glitz as they look a little similar next to each other, on this sheet. However, Caramel Sparkle is a reddish brown and Pink Glitz is a pinkish red. I'm loving the green, orange and silver. :)

Sailor Kenshin
October 15th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Spiffy!

For some bizarre reason, I read Ink # 3 as Enchanted ONION.

Chrissy
October 15th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Spiffy!

For some bizarre reason, I read Ink # 3 as Enchanted ONION.

LOL that may have confused some.

Sailor Kenshin
October 15th, 2016, 11:02 AM
And it's one of my top three!

jacksterp
October 15th, 2016, 05:49 PM
That is some Wild and Crazy ink...

carlos.q
October 15th, 2016, 06:52 PM
These inks look cool! I particularly like Blue Flame and Lilac Satin.

However, I do have one question: Do the shimmery-causing thingies clog the pen? :noidea:

Chrissy
October 15th, 2016, 10:48 PM

However, I do have one question: Do the shimmery-causing thingies clog the pen? :noidea:
When you're using any ink containing shimmer particles, it is wise to practice good pen maintenance, and not let the ink dry out inside the pen. However, many would say that goes without saying for any ink. :)

Some shimmer inks seem wetter than others, and some pens are more forgiving than others when using inks with shimmer particles in them. When I use shimmer inks, I tend to stick with C/C pens, although I've used a Reform 1745 for Enchanted Ocean, and that's a piston filler.

I don't find these particular inks specially difficult to clean out of the pens I've tried them with, and they haven't clogged any of the pens that I've filled with them since I came back from the US. :)

They show off their shimmer better with M or B nibs than EF or F nibs.

migo984
October 15th, 2016, 11:47 PM

Yes they do. Using heterogeneous solutions in pens always has the potential to cause blockages. The fact that you have to shake the bottle, and the pen as you write, to disperse the glitter is telling.

Obviously blockages do not happen in all pens, but there are increasing complaints being made regarding these types of inks. Using them in pens that are physically easier to clean out e.g. can be dismantled, makes sense. But you definitely need to take great care even in those cases; it seems that the material the feed is made of, as well as feed design, has some bearing on whether they block or not.

Besides disliking the aesthetics of sparkly inks I've seen too many blocked pens to want to use them. Others love the look of them & don't mind chancing blockages.

* I did once try a fill from someone else's bottle & after two lines of writing most of the sparkle bits seemed to settle in the pen & didn't even make it to the paper. I can't be bothered to agitate a pen as I write, which was the suggested remedy. Plus it just looked like writing made by a glitter gel pen to me.

Morgaine
October 16th, 2016, 11:18 AM
I quite like the Fire Storm Red.

How long between getting the first lot of shimmers last year and the release date? I'm wondering if these will be available before Christmas.

Sailor Kenshin
October 16th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Apart from the Enchanted Onion, I think I'd want Caramel and Orange. It's a food thing, perhaps. Though not a dish I'd recommend.

Chrissy
October 16th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I quite like the Fire Storm Red.

How long between getting the first lot of shimmers last year and the release date? I'm wondering if these will be available before Christmas.
Sorry but I don't have that information. :(

Edited to say, it would make a lot of sense if they were available before Christmas, but I don't want to get your hopes up.

Chrissy
October 16th, 2016, 03:30 PM
I don't know why, but I personally seem to prefer these inks with gold rather than silver. Apart from Moon Dust, which is silver, and I always said that should be in the range.

Morgaine
October 16th, 2016, 04:29 PM
You reviewed the first lot in August 2015. Some people said they ordered/received in October 2015. So, perhaps fingers can be crossed?

How different is the Enchanted Onion from Blue Pearl?

Chrissy
October 17th, 2016, 02:05 AM
You reviewed the first lot in August 2015. Some people said they ordered/received in October 2015. So, perhaps fingers can be crossed?

How different is the Enchanted Onion from Blue Pearl?

Maybe fingers can be crossed? Let's hope so. The difference is that I wasn't in the UK for all of September this year, so although Diamine sent these ink samples to others, I didn't receive mine until October 6th. I'm playing catch up. LOL

Enchanted Ocean is a darker blue ink than the blue used in Blue Pearl. I would call it a blue-black ink that leans towards the green end of the colour spectrum. More like Twilight than Midnight if you know those two inks.

Blue Flame is a darker blue than Blue Pearl too.

Sailor Kenshin
October 17th, 2016, 08:37 AM
They make such pretty puddles...can't you see decorating a pen pal envelope? I got one like that once. I saved it!

Chrissy
October 17th, 2016, 10:26 AM
They make such pretty puddles...can't you see decorating a pen pal envelope? I got one like that once. I saved it!

Yes I can. If we were pen pals, I would even send you one. :)

Morgaine
October 17th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Was browsing the Cult Pens website - they are expecting the stock late October/early November!

KKay
October 18th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Enchanted Ocean and Blue Flame look the most interesting to me.

Chrissy
October 19th, 2016, 01:32 AM
I've now posted a thread with mini-reviews of the latest 12 inks Here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/17966-Diamine-Shimmer-Inks-Reviewing-the-next-12)