PDA

View Full Version : Diamine Shimmer Inks: Reviewing the next 12

Chrissy
October 18th, 2016, 05:17 AM
I've been writing with the new Diamine Shimmer inks for a couple of weeks now, and have finally managed to get some reasonably decent photos of them that show the shimmer in each ink. These aren't perfect, but they will at least give you a better look at the inks, so you can see which you might like before they are issued.

I have found all of these inks quite wet on the cheap lined paper pad that I've been using. It's just an ordinary, cheap, Staples pad. The amount of wetness and lubrication also depends on the feed/nib of each individual pen I've used. Some soak in and dry straight away, while some don't and therefore take longer to dry.

In a perfect world, I would like to empty all of the pens, clean them out, and refill them all with a different colour. The write with them again on better papers. That will come soon.

Meanwhile, I decided that something was better than nothing, so this is what I have so far.

I haven't had any problems with ink flow, and I've written with these pens over the two weeks they've been filled with these inks. I have had hardly any starting or skipping problems. My Jinhao pen is the most unreliable pen in this respect, no matter what ink I put in it, even if it is without shimmer.

So on to the photos:

Morgaine
October 19th, 2016, 03:06 AM
The Cocoa Shimmer has grown on me. Even the Enchanted Onion looks good although I probably will go for non blue & purple colours first (got Blue Pearl, and the Purple Pazzazz, also Golden Sands). Question is, will I still get Night Sky or do I prefer one or two of these new inks more? Preliminary list, Night Sky and Fire Storm Red or Cocoa Shimmer.

Chrissy
October 19th, 2016, 04:48 AM
The Cocoa Shimmer has grown on me. Even the Enchanted Onion looks good although I probably will go for non blue & purple colours first (got Blue Pearl, and the Purple Pazzazz, also Golden Sands). Question is, will I still get Night Sky or do I prefer one or two of these new inks more? Preliminary list, Night Sky and Fire Storm Red or Cocoa Shimmer.

Night Sky is darker than Moon Dust. IMHO, Moon Dust is the perfect silver ink, and I always preferred it to the darker grey of Night Sky. However, YMMV.
Cocoa Shimmer has grown on me since I first used it. Next time I will try it in a pen with a broader nib.
(I will reply to you using these inks...)

SIR
October 23rd, 2016, 07:11 AM
Pink & Gold!!

Thanks Diamine!!
;)

p.s.
I also like the Magenta Flash, Inferno Orange, and Golden Oasis.

Chrissy
October 23rd, 2016, 08:21 AM
Pink & Gold!!

Thanks Diamine!!
;)

p.s.
I also like the Magenta Flash, Inferno Orange, and Golden Oasis.
I love Inferno Orange. :)

caribbean_skye
October 23rd, 2016, 09:14 AM
Moon dust and golden oasis are the ones that are catching my eyes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FredRydr
October 30th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Goodness! I just saw these. Thank you, Chrissy.

It's going to take many years of Christmas cards to use much of the two bottles of Diamine red and green shimmer inks I bought last year.

Fred

Chrissy
October 30th, 2016, 07:05 AM
I have now reviewed each ink individually on FPG, see Ink reviews forum.

Release date is appropriately November 4th: Fountain Pen Day 2016. :applause:

Chrissy
October 30th, 2016, 07:07 AM

Do you think Golden Oasis is a name that fits a bright green ink? I'm not 100% sure.....:confused:

Chrissy
October 30th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Goodness! I just saw these. Thank you, Chrissy.

It's going to take many years of Christmas cards to use much of the two bottles of Diamine red and green shimmer inks I bought last year.

Fred
I could send you a couple of Forever stamps. :spy:

caribbean_skye
October 30th, 2016, 05:48 PM

Do you think Golden Oasis is a name that fits a bright green ink? I'm not 100% sure.....:confused:

oasis makes me think blue not green.

Morgaine
October 31st, 2016, 04:57 AM
You can use shimmers in letters too, not just Christmas Cards!

Chrissy
October 31st, 2016, 07:07 AM

Ahaha Royal Mail did their job then. :applause:

Morgaine
October 31st, 2016, 11:02 AM

Ahaha Royal Mail did their job then. :applause:

Yes! Wrote a letter yesterday to go up north... but my Hero 9626 ran out of Blue Pearl mid-word. I had to switch to a different pen without shimmer! If I don't use sparkles in the letter, I often write the envelope with my blinding green Safari filled with Blue Pearl!

southpaw52
October 31st, 2016, 11:14 AM
Very nice review thank you for sharing. I like the Pink Glitz, Golden Oais, and the Caramel Sparkle.

Monkey
October 31st, 2016, 03:09 PM
I can see green fitting "oasis," I mean they're spots with water so random lush vegetation grows there, in the midst of the surrounding sand, right? Maybe not the most intuitive name but, it works.

Chrissy
October 31st, 2016, 04:12 PM
I can see green fitting "oasis," I mean they're spots with water so random lush vegetation grows there, in the midst of the surrounding sand, right? Maybe not the most intuitive name but, it works.
It's just the 'Golden' part that doesn't seem absolutely spot on to me. After all the first set included 'Golden Sands' and that was gold.:confused:

Monkey
October 31st, 2016, 04:18 PM
That one has gold shimmer though, right? Like I said, it's not the most intuitive, haha, but I can dig it. ;P

Chrissy
November 1st, 2016, 03:23 AM
That one has gold shimmer though, right? Like I said, it's not the most intuitive, haha, but I can dig it. ;P
Yes I can see what you mean. Maybe Golden Oasis was the best name Diamine thought of for the green with gold. Golden Green doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :blink:

Monkey
November 1st, 2016, 04:08 AM
Hahaha, right? I can imagine it's no walk in the park trying to come up with regular ink names when you've got so many, let alone fitting sparkle-shimmer names. :P

Morgaine
November 4th, 2016, 03:35 AM
I have now reviewed each ink individually on FPG, see Ink reviews forum. (But not on FPN yet.)

And they are up on the website!

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=90

Chrissy
November 4th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I have now reviewed each ink individually on FPG, see Ink reviews forum. (But not on FPN yet.)

And they are up on the website!

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=90

Yay. :applause: