PDA

View Full Version : Reviving a Gold-filled Sheaffer

penwash
October 19th, 2016, 11:57 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5638/30131627240_a2d75a4f3e_c.jpg

This pen came onto my desk. Best guess is 70's Sheaffer. I don't know the exact model (if you know, tell me, please), but it has not only a Gold Filled (or GF) body, but a good triumph nib on it originally. That's where the good news stop.

At some point probably the end of the section deteriorated and the nib unit came off, and someone tried to use plastic epoxy to mold a new "section" and the result is that *thing" on the right side of the pen in the photo above. That thing came apart as soon as I tried to write with the pen. And it looks... out of place with that grey part.

So, I worked on it for a couple days, trying different ways to revive it so it will not only be functional again, but also looks decent without losing the vintage used-but-not-abused look.

Enter a section + nib and feed that I rescued from a tiny Wahl pen with hopelessly marred and dented body. With a lot of thinking, some careful sanding and dremel, I managed to fit it nicely on the Sheaffer body and most importantly, I think it looks the part.

Put a sac on it (had to do some extra work to make the sac fit into the black section that is never meant to accommodate it. But the pen now has a new life as a bulb-filler. The nib is so nice, it is a stub medium that I'm going to smooth and it'll be a peach :)

SIDENOTE: What will happen to the "thing" on the right? You know I'm a Sheaffer nut, so I'm not going to throw away a good Triumph nib unit. I'll do what I always do, find a good fit and make another... redeemed pen.

kirchh
October 20th, 2016, 10:16 AM
The gray part is original.

--Daniel

penwash
October 20th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Okay.